PDA

View Full Version : Best Controller out there?

Clownin Aroun
03/20/2013, 07:27 AM
So i currently have a 265 gallon system and am running a Reef keeper lite on the system. although it is working fine for now i have read many problems people have had with it so i would like to switch before running into issues.
Some problems i have with it now are the fact that i can not use my Mac with it, there is no iPhone app from the company (just the crappy one that only works if the net module works) and i have ran out of modules since it is the lite and i can only have 4.

I am looking for something to run on a Mac, has an Iphone app and is an amazing product!

I will be running off the controller:

~ 2 Vortech MP40s
~ SRO skimmer
~ Mag 9 Return (for chiller/heater)
~ Mag 18 Return
~ ATO with high and low float switches
~ simple refugium light
~ PH Probe
~ Temp Probe
~ Salinity Probe

What do you guys suggest?

Please vote and explain........

GSMguy
03/20/2013, 07:39 AM
I am in the same boat looking at getting a new controller I use an aqua controller jr now that has worked flawlessly for the past 7 years but I want to monitor from work on my iPhone.

I've done a lot of reading and think I've decided on an apex.

Clownin Aroun
03/20/2013, 09:16 AM
i think the apex is great but i think the profilux may be worth the money, im not sure yet!

nanotank
03/20/2013, 09:19 AM
Own 2 GHL's and they r the bomb really. Apex has came a long way also.

Clownin Aroun
03/20/2013, 09:32 AM
can the profilux be programmed with a Mac?

nanotank
03/20/2013, 09:38 AM
Go the the GHL forum here on the site. I don't use Mac so not sure.

BigAl2007
03/20/2013, 10:05 AM
Yes if the MAC is running "Parallels" then absolutely.

There are many MAC iOS owners running MAC and in fact GHL just released the iOS App for the ProfiLux just last week.

Allmost
03/20/2013, 10:11 AM
Apex all the way. from functionality to ....

karsseboom
03/20/2013, 10:17 AM
The profilux is the best controller. Everyone knows this if your voting reef keeper you just own it. People vote for what they have not on what they know about.

Allmost
03/20/2013, 10:19 AM
if you check all the large tank owners, are switching Away from GHL.

I agree, Reef keeper is not even a controller ... the design is so flawed its laughable.

BigAl2007
03/20/2013, 10:22 AM

I agree, Reef keeper is not even a controller ... the design is so flawed its laughable.

That's surprising because I can show you several long-term APEX owners who have recently switched to ProfiLux. I can even give you links to their threads except they are on other forums.

Clownin Aroun
03/20/2013, 10:22 AM

Do you have proof on this? Reasons why?

you saying they are switching from GHL to Neptune with no reason does not really help! An explanation would do wonders however!

Allmost
03/20/2013, 10:28 AM
That's surprising because I can show you several long-term APEX owners who have recently switched to ProfiLux. I can even give you links to their threads except they are on other forums.

I can give you links on this forums :)

check peter's thread first. [Nineball]

he is a software guru :)

Allmost
03/20/2013, 10:29 AM
Do you have proof on this? Reasons why?

you saying they are switching from GHL to Neptune with no reason does not really help! An explanation would do wonders however!

check above.

or use search :)

what I hate about GHL mostly, is that they give ppl free stuff, to go and advertise and post "advertisements" on forums !
apex appreciation threads are at least from happy users who arent paid for their appreciation ;)

karsseboom
03/20/2013, 10:29 AM

I had a reef keeper a while back. Then bought the apex which was great and now have a profilux. Just look at one in person and you can see the quality is much higher. It has more built in features then the apex and has its own web server.

It's a little expensive for most so it kinda goes over there head as far as controllers go.

Allmost
03/20/2013, 10:35 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096730&page=25

Karsseboom .... Im an electrical eng. and an equipment junkie lol I have a RKL, RKE, Apex and a GHL 3. on different tanks. I would not talk out of my ..... :) specially on electronics.
Apex has its own web page.

anyways, just posted my opinion :)

BigAl2007
03/20/2013, 10:38 AM
what I hate about GHL mostly, is that they give ppl free stuff, to go and advertise and post "advertisements" on forums !
apex appreciation threads are at least from happy users who arent paid for their appreciation ;)

I can't say that's NEVER happened before (although I'm not aware of it) I do know that it's not GHL current practice to do such. It's not a good practice to do and I would be thoroughly disappointed if that was a common practice from GHL currently.

Of all the units I'm currently aware of that are giving a glowing GHL review they are all purchased and completely independent of any GHL affiliation.

I WISH GHL would give me some stuff to test but that's extremely far from truth in my personal use.

Allmost do you have any inside information on this practice we could verify?

BigAl2007
03/20/2013, 10:39 AM
Karsseboom .... Im an electrical eng. and an equipment junkie lol I have a RKL, RKE, Apex and a GHL 3. on different tanks. I would not talk out of my ..... :) specially on electronics.

I hope I didn't come across sounding like I doubt what you have to say. I've followed many of your posts and respect you and your outlook.

caraj
03/20/2013, 10:50 AM
I had a reef keeper a while back. Then bought the apex which was great and now have a profilux. Just look at one in person and you can see the quality is much higher. It has more built in features then the apex and has its own web server.

Hey I thought I read the apex has a built in web server? Can anyone confirm?

Wave Ace
03/20/2013, 10:59 AM
Voted other as you missed Aquatronica of the list :-(

Clownin Aroun
03/20/2013, 11:12 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096730&page=25

Why do you feel the Neptune has the upper hand? What are its advantages in your opinion?

karsseboom
03/20/2013, 11:30 AM
Hey I thought I read the apex has a built in web server? Can anyone confirm?

Why do you feel the Neptune has the upper hand? What are its advantages in your opinion?

Features that Profilux has no other controller has

1) Touch screen Option.
2) Built in water top off and automatic water changes, better then the Genesis water change system. Just need two water sensors and Solenoids.
3) Optical water sensors option.
4) Analog 0-10 vdc Inputs option. Can attach co2 sensor, water flow meter, Par sensor and anything in the market that has a 0-10 vdc outs.
5) Every 0-10 vdc outs has a relay control for each outputs. Need a optional lost cost board. Each board does two input relay function.
6) PWM signal outs

nickjj
03/20/2013, 11:44 AM
I also voted other as I have been running an Aquatronica controller for many years. Can't wait for their newest touch screen and black box version to be released.

karsseboom
03/20/2013, 12:46 PM
I also voted other as I have been running an Aquatronica controller for many years. Can't wait for their newest touch screen and black box version to be released.

So you think that controller is hands down the very best controller money can buy?

this is me
03/20/2013, 01:07 PM
Most of the controllers nowadays can do what you want as long as you want to learn and spend money on the system. And all will Pros and Cons.

With that said, I've been using the Profilux for more than two years now. Before that, it was a neptune system. Just looking at the powerbar says a lot from build quality and reliability. Just look at the powerbar on the GHL and you know it will last longer than the others. The individual switches of up to 10A current is a big plus. Programming it is a learning curve like anything but it's trivial if you take the time to learn it. Profilux allows me to grow my system without any limitation. In fact, I now have two P3 ex base controllers with an expansion box and 4 PAB power bar. This is all for my future tank upgrade.
And no, I did not receive all this as a gift from GHL.

caraj
03/20/2013, 01:22 PM
Hey Karsseboom, I see you wrote that the profilux has PWM signal out. Do you know if it will control all features for the elos E-lite which is 0-10 PWM? including dimming.

Features that Profilux has no other controller has

1) Touch screen Option.
2) Built in water top off and automatic water changes, better then the Genesis water change system. Just need two water sensors and Solenoids.
3) Optical water sensors option.
4) Analog 0-10 vdc Inputs option. Can attach co2 sensor, water flow meter, Par sensor and anything in the market that has a 0-10 vdc outs.
5) Every 0-10 vdc outs has a relay control for each outputs. Need a optional lost cost board. Each board does two input relay function.
6) PWM signal outs

James77
03/20/2013, 02:26 PM
I've been running Neptune controllers for almost 10 years and only had one problem that they took care of promptly. Their tech support if you need it is fast and great, and building up a controller for your tank does not kill your wallet. It is modular for much cheaper than the Profilux would be if you ran another tank. The quality is high, though not top end as they had to find a middle ground to target more people. They are aggressive with updates and new prducts, and were the first to announce and release the Vortech control of all of the companies. Complaints of their product would be the USB buss cables...they are not as easily found online for long runs like the Ethernet Profilux uses or the data cable RK uses. I currently use 2 Apex Jrs on my 2 tanks and have used the full Apex.

Reefkeeper would be the last of the ones you list. They have no Vortech control and have no plans for it....if that is a must have for you it rules them out. Last I checked they are still battling the SL2 salinity issue which has been going on for what has to be 2-3 years with very few updates. Was not a module I used, but again if it is a must for you it seems to be open ended on when they will fix it. Things I do like about them....the head unit is a bit more attractive than the Apex plus you can change display colors. Non issue for me since I need no HU anymore. I also like the package since you get 2 4-outlet power bars instead of APexs single 8...however I don't like the low power handling of (3 amps) of half the outlets.

I have very limited experience with the Profilux. Quality is high, and I like the random control of the Tunze. I assume that is also possible with the Vortech. A lot seems to be tied to the main unit and an extension box is kind of pricey last I checked into it. Meaning it is not as modular as the RK or Neptune. You could spread an RK or Apex out over an entire house and the only expense would be buss cables.

I have no experience with the Reef Angel. I like some of their cheaper prices. The ability to program whatever you want with the free ware or open software or whatever you call it is nice, however I have never felt at all limited by Neptune. Matter of fact I use only a fraction of its capabilities to control lighting, temp, reactors etc.

Clownin Aroun
03/20/2013, 03:18 PM
I've been running Neptune controllers for almost 10 years and only had one problem that they took care of promptly. Their tech support if you need it is fast and great, and building up a controller for your tank does not kill your wallet. It is modular for much cheaper than the Profilux would be if you ran another tank. The quality is high, though not top end as they had to find a middle ground to target more people. They are aggressive with updates and new prducts, and were the first to announce and release the Vortech control of all of the companies. Complaints of their product would be the USB buss cables...they are not as easily found online for long runs like the Ethernet Profilux uses or the data cable RK uses. I currently use 2 Apex Jrs on my 2 tanks and have used the full Apex.

Reefkeeper would be the last of the ones you list. They have no Vortech control and have no plans for it....if that is a must have for you it rules them out. Last I checked they are still battling the SL2 salinity issue which has been going on for what has to be 2-3 years with very few updates. Was not a module I used, but again if it is a must for you it seems to be open ended on when they will fix it. Things I do like about them....the head unit is a bit more attractive than the Apex plus you can change display colors. Non issue for me since I need no HU anymore. I also like the package since you get 2 4-outlet power bars instead of APexs single 8...however I don't like the low power handling of (3 amps) of half the outlets.

I have very limited experience with the Profilux. Quality is high, and I like the random control of the Tunze. I assume that is also possible with the Vortech. A lot seems to be tied to the main unit and an extension box is kind of pricey last I checked into it. Meaning it is not as modular as the RK or Neptune. You could spread an RK or Apex out over an entire house and the only expense would be buss cables.

I have no experience with the Reef Angel. I like some of their cheaper prices. The ability to program whatever you want with the free ware or open software or whatever you call it is nice, however I have never felt at all limited by Neptune. Matter of fact I use only a fraction of its capabilities to control lighting, temp, reactors etc.

Responses like that is what I am looking for!!!!

Thanks!

nickjj
03/21/2013, 10:57 AM
So you think that controller is hands down the very best controller money can buy?

I can't comment if it is the "very best controller money can buy" since I really only have experience with the Aquatronica. All I can say is, it has served me well over 8 years and provides all the functionality I need.

I know AQ has had their problems with some hardware components many years ago but it appears they have learned from this. They even delayed their release of the touch screen and black box version to ensure it works properly with all existing equipment and hopefully work out all the bugs before it is available to market.

There are many good controllers out there, find one that fits your budget first and satisfies all your tank requirements now and in the future.

AQD_ottawa
03/21/2013, 01:13 PM

Allmost - you are well versed at being a ProfiLux brand hater for your own private reason but are you serious about free stuff! LOL I wish we have a fight just to get demo units for dealers!

Laughing all the way with that lump of poo. seriously.

Sorry dont usually get involved in these thing but that little line made my day, thanks for the laugh though.

Oh in regards to GHL being dumped for other brands

Quote from the forum
"This is the easiest question ever and I have two answers for it.

The longest warranty in the business with 2 full years from date of purchase. Which is DOUBLE of the others

and the Second answer

THEY JUST WORK!

This is my simple story:
I had another product controlling my tank for a few years. It failed, a few times to say the least. After the first year using the other guys controller they have their customers "exchange" and charge $175.00 for each exchange. All the known issues reported all over the internet the other company fails to acknowledge that their product is at fault.

To compare apples to apples the cost of the ProfiLux was about $150 more for the huge pack I got, however the ProfiLux still has more or better features and a TWO YEAR WARRANTY! So if after the first year the PIII failed I get a new one at no cost.

Now think of this Controller A is $150 less but after the first year it will cost you $175.00 plus shipping when it goes out, just to have it exchanged. So really where is the savings? There is none! Sure you might not need all the features the PIII has to offer but wouldn't you rather have that bigger engine in your car if you ever want to go a little faster and live on the wild side?

Bottom line is simple, the total cost over ownership might be a little more up front with the ProfiLux but over two years it will be just the same (if not less) with no stress, headaches or gray hair.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1590302

Clownin Aroun
03/22/2013, 11:41 AM
I have decided to go with the apex!

karsseboom
03/22/2013, 11:49 AM
I can't comment if it is the "very best controller money can buy" since I really only have experience with the Aquatronica. All I can say is, it has served me well over 8 years and provides all the functionality I need.

I know AQ has had their problems with some hardware components many years ago but it appears they have learned from this. They even delayed their release of the touch screen and black box version to ensure it works properly with all existing equipment and hopefully work out all the bugs before it is available to market.

There are many good controllers out there, find one that fits your budget first and satisfies all your tank requirements now and in the future.

Then you shouldn't have voted other. This poll was about the best controller on the market not WHAT you own or like.

Allmost
03/22/2013, 11:49 AM
Allmost - you are well versed at being a ProfiLux brand hater for your own private reason but are you serious about free stuff! LOL I wish we have a fight just to get demo units for dealers!

Laughing all the way with that lump of poo. seriously.

Sorry dont usually get involved in these thing but that little line made my day, thanks for the laugh though.

Oh in regards to GHL being dumped for other brands

Quote from the forum
"This is the easiest question ever and I have two answers for it.

The longest warranty in the business with 2 full years from date of purchase. Which is DOUBLE of the others

and the Second answer

THEY JUST WORK!

This is my simple story:
I had another product controlling my tank for a few years. It failed, a few times to say the least. After the first year using the other guys controller they have their customers "exchange" and charge $175.00 for each exchange. All the known issues reported all over the internet the other company fails to acknowledge that their product is at fault.

To compare apples to apples the cost of the ProfiLux was about $150 more for the huge pack I got, however the ProfiLux still has more or better features and a TWO YEAR WARRANTY! So if after the first year the PIII failed I get a new one at no cost.

Now think of this Controller A is $150 less but after the first year it will cost you $175.00 plus shipping when it goes out, just to have it exchanged. So really where is the savings? There is none! Sure you might not need all the features the PIII has to offer but wouldn't you rather have that bigger engine in your car if you ever want to go a little faster and live on the wild side?

Bottom line is simple, the total cost over ownership might be a little more up front with the ProfiLux but over two years it will be just the same (if not less) with no stress, headaches or gray hair.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1590302

:( I am not a hater, just like the truth to come out. your comment about poo and free stuff, I will ignore ... lets assume it was a mistake for you to type it.

I like to dig into stuff, specially electronics.

1. are you telling me that you do NOT have a reward program, where users would post good things about GHL in return for free upgrades ? tell me you dont so I can link you to YOUR thread ;)

2. Im a P.Eng. so I have opened up both Apex and GHL controller, the Apex has a 32 bit processor, what does GHL use ? 16 bit ? :) Apex costs less, and has more expensive chips !

I will leave rest of the differences for later on :) like noise between channels.

karsseboom
03/22/2013, 11:52 AM
I have decided to go with the apex!

It's cheaper and will get the job done. I'm just a equipment junkie like allmost.

I owned an apex and it worked wonderfully. I now own the profilux and like the fact I can match it to my dosing pump.

Clownin Aroun
03/22/2013, 12:03 PM
It's cheaper and will get the job done. I'm just a equipment junkie like allmost.

I owned an apex and it worked wonderfully. I now own the profilux and like the fact I can match it to my dosing pump.

I already own the GHL 4 pump stand alone doser so that's not a problem for me!

Also as far as GHL giving away products for customers to go on and say they love it. That's absurd as far as I am concerned. I just bought 2 GHL Mitras and paid FULL PRICE (just ask my wallet) and I rave about them because I truly believe they are THE BEST ON THE MARKET!!!!! GHL didn't give me a cent lol.

But I went with apex because I felt that it was just as good or almost as good for much less money.......it does or will do EXACTLY what I am looking for, nothing less a little more
Lol

reef1906
03/22/2013, 12:14 PM
dude, get the Apex, mine just works. i control everything form anywhere and it just works. also they have good customer service. and yes it works on a mac. It will control whatever you want it to control.

karsseboom
03/22/2013, 12:21 PM
dude, get the Apex, mine just works. i control everything form anywhere and it just works. also they have good customer service. and yes it works on a mac. It will control whatever you want it to control.

Dude there's controllers that will do everything the apex can do and built to higher standard. Have you tried all the different controllers? Cause I have

nickjj
03/22/2013, 06:55 PM
Then you shouldn't have voted other. This poll was about the best controller on the market not WHAT you own or like.

Suggesting the best controller is like saying what is the best car I should buy, you'll get many different answers everyone has their own opinion. Most do not have the money to try many controllers such as it appears you have to comment on the best. Have you owned an AQ?

As far as I am concerned the AQ is a comparable controller feature for feature as any of the ones on the poll list may have.

In any event I'm just offering the OP my opinion.

garydan
03/22/2013, 08:31 PM
As an RKE owner, I'd like to vote NOT RKE. :) I don't know much about the others, but DA has really dropped the ball.

James77
03/22/2013, 08:40 PM
As an RKE owner, I'd like to vote NOT RKE. :) I don't know much about the others, but DA has really dropped the ball.

Well...they aren't exactly dominating the poll....

karsseboom
03/22/2013, 11:45 PM
Suggesting the best controller is like saying what is the best car I should buy, you'll get many different answers everyone has their own opinion. Most do not have the money to try many controllers such as it appears you have to comment on the best. Have you owned an AQ?

As far as I am concerned the AQ is a comparable controller feature for feature as any of the ones on the poll list may have.

In any event I'm just offering the OP my opinion.

I totally respect that. I just didn't like the fact people were voting on what they had and not what they thought was hands down the best controller

I mean come on people are voting reef angle over the profilux controller? Or apex? Who does that.

atreis
03/23/2013, 06:29 AM
I have an RKE. Used to have a Neptune ACjr (until it died after 8 years of use - no complaints).

I voted Apex. 'nuff said. :)

Clownin Aroun
03/23/2013, 07:32 AM
Also just for a little background here i am currently running the RKL with NET module and do not like it very much, if you have a question about anything they tell you to go to THEIR forum and post, so i did, its been two weeks without a response, and trying to cell their phone number is just useless! I am very frustrated and annoyed with Digital Aquatics and will not be buying anything from them again!

On to Apex who i sent an email asking some questions and they responded within an hour on a Saturday!