PDA

View Full Version : coral coloration factors

readc
03/20/2013, 08:36 PM
so I have a couple sps corals that have gone from a deep blue to more of a green coloration...any ideas as to why? I know that these corals were on MH before my tank, which is currently on a Radion...Would it be more related to light factors or to nutrient levels in the tank?

The tank is only 17" deep and the radion is about 10" from the top of the water.

I also have had an issue with green button zoa polyps. The easiest of all corals...they were once always open and growing...now they never open at all...the only difference may be the flow for their position, but its not necessarily blasting them. All of my other SPS, LPS are growing and have great polyp extension.

Any ideas as two either of the two above mentioned issues?

cloak
03/20/2013, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure if these articles really apply, but here you go.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-01/atj/index.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/9/aafeature

HTH.

sirreal63
03/21/2013, 07:17 AM
This is the most recent work done on coral coloration...
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/12/corals

It should also be noted that one of the complaints of some led's is that some of the corals under them change color from what they were.

sslak
03/21/2013, 09:24 AM
From personal experience...

I underestimated the difference adding a few frags would make to my tanks daily ALK consumption, which I thought was on auto-pilot.

I wasn't dosing enough, my ALK dropped down to 6-7dkh and the colors all went brown/green...eventually I started losing sps.

Make sure your ALK is rock steady...it's very important.

readc
03/21/2013, 10:42 AM
From personal experience...

I underestimated the difference adding a few frags would make to my tanks daily ALK consumption, which I thought was on auto-pilot.

I wasn't dosing enough, my ALK dropped down to 6-7dkh and the colors all went brown/green...eventually I started losing sps.

Make sure your ALK is rock steady...it's very important.

Whenever I test it is usually around 7dkh...i do weekly 20% water changes...tank is only 30 gallons...do you think I should consider dosing? I have about 5 sps frags, 2 frogspawns, zoa's, ric's, and a plate coral...

GrimReefer555
03/21/2013, 10:44 AM
Sounds like its about that time... Think I'm in the same boat

sslak
03/21/2013, 11:11 AM
Sounds like you need to look at dosing. It's surprising how fast a few SPS frags will consume ALK.

You should try dosing to maintain ALK up to around 9.5+ and I bet you'll see those colors return.

readc
03/21/2013, 11:52 AM
whats the best way to dose alk for my small tank?

readc
03/21/2013, 12:03 PM
I have been told that this could be a nutrient control issue between the zoax within the coral and the coral itself. if the zoax are essentially 'feeding' the coral vs. the coral being in an environment full of food to supply to the zoax then the coloration of the zoax will out compete the blocking proteins of the coral...does that make sense lol