PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else use this as a syphon for Cyanobacteria

justthewife
03/22/2013, 05:51 AM
First, guess what came back in my tank. I know what did it, too much food because I recently added a sun coral and a chili pepper cactus coral to the tank (my early birthday presents).

Anyway...the cyanobacteria started to grow again. The LFS guy did a demo on how he removes his cyano from the tanks he services. He took a package of regular flexible air tubing and put it in the tank to fill with water. Then he kept one end in the tank holding it in with one hand, blocked off the other end with his thumb of his other hand and put the end he had blocked off with his thumb down into a bucket that was lower than the tank and let it go. This created a syphon effect in the tube. He then syphoned off all the cyano with this thin flexible air tubing.

Anyway again....My husband tried it yesterday in our tank because our star polyps were covered in cyano when I woke up and looked in the tank. :uhoh3: My mouth dropped open and I gasped at how easy it worked for the removal of the cyano. The tube is soft so it didn't hurt the corals in any way. And.....no scraping was necessary. Is this a well known method? Of course anyone using this method needs to have replacement water ready before they start as the bucket does fill quickly. Again....I was amazed. I had been using a baster with not this much success.

alexander_ktn
03/22/2013, 07:01 AM
Is this a well known method?
Yes! :)

Of course anyone using this method needs to have replacement water ready before they start as the bucket does fill quickly.
Or if you have a sump you can put a filter sock on one end of the tube, put that in the sump and have infinite sucking power/duration. Can be used for all sorts of gunk/stuff.

Cymonous
03/22/2013, 07:03 AM
I've heard of other people using this method too. I believe MrFishTank on youtube has a video of doing something similar for removing bubble algae.

spieszak
03/22/2013, 07:32 AM
You can also get some rigid tubing, and rubber band the soft tubing to it, and for the most part, navigate pretty well without having to have your hand in the tank.

billdogg
03/22/2013, 07:34 AM
or go automated with a python siphon. no buckets or filter socks to mess with that way.

Squidmotron
03/22/2013, 08:07 AM
This is pretty much how I clean up the tank.

Sk8r
03/22/2013, 08:15 AM
I'd suggest you do a lights-out treatment for the cyano, if you've got a skimmer that works. 3 days of no-light and a 4th of low light, and you should see improvement. Once a month do this---takes about 3 rounds, and you won't have a problem.

justthewife
03/22/2013, 08:41 AM
I'd suggest you do a lights-out treatment for the cyano, if you've got a skimmer that works. 3 days of no-light and a 4th of low light, and you should see improvement. Once a month do this---takes about 3 rounds, and you won't have a problem.

lights are out right now :thumbsup:

justthewife
03/22/2013, 09:09 AM
You can also get some rigid tubing, and rubber band the soft tubing to it, and for the most part, navigate pretty well without having to have your hand in the tank.

That is what my husband did with the tubing. He connected it to a long handled scraping tool that had interchangeable tips so he just didn't put a tip on it and used the handle part so he didn't have to put his hand in the water.

saltwater2999
03/22/2013, 12:40 PM

Or if you have a sump you can put a filter sock on one end of the tube, put that in the sump and have infinite sucking power/duration. Can be used for all sorts of gunk/stuff.

that is a pretty good idea. im going to have to try that sometime

ReefCoastie
03/22/2013, 02:01 PM
Drain it to the filter sock is an amazing idea thanks Alexander!

PescadoraNM
03/22/2013, 02:19 PM

I have cano too, but only in my sump, on the walls. Is it a bad thing to leave it, or should I be scraping it off? I have my lights on the sump 24hours. Should I get a timer and lessen that light amount?

Thanks!

nynick
03/22/2013, 06:07 PM

30 years of aquariums and I never once thought of this.....the shame! So simple, so brilliant!

alexander_ktn
03/22/2013, 06:18 PM
I'm pretty sure i got the idea from someone else...
One thing, though: make sure the tubing can't slip out of the sump, otherwise you'll have a mess on the floor.

tippmannsniper
03/22/2013, 06:55 PM
same here.. i use a siphon clamped to a filter sock to prevent the hose from slipping out. then place the sock into a bucket. orrr, if you're doing a water change anyways, then forget the filter sock and pitch the whole bucket

works pretty well!

borg1of2
03/22/2013, 07:13 PM
I read on a different thread something similar. We have a larger siphon tube, so inserted a straw in the tube. It provided a stiffer and smaller hole to suck the bacteria off of the rocks we tried it last weekend and it worked pretty good.

I also have been stirring up the sanded, but that creats a problem with sand on the rocks, so now need a reverse siphon to blow off the sand particles. :)

kenghmoob
03/23/2013, 09:17 AM
Yes, this method works wonders for me. Although it will solve your problem temporarily, you will need to follow up and see what is causing the cyno break out. Check your water parameter and move forward from there. It would suck to always be siphoning out cyno and not enjoy your tank

chercm
06/12/2017, 03:49 AM

i read some where the smaller fine will escape and this not effective . any comments ?

hkgar
06/12/2017, 01:37 PM

For lights out do you do a total black out by wrapping the tank so no ambient light enters, or just shut down the lighting and allowing indirect light.

Johnnybgood74
06/12/2017, 07:06 PM
I've done it using a pillow case and a bucket to save the water as I didn't have any water to replace what I would have taken out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

squeakymcmurdo
06/13/2017, 10:33 AM
Wait...what? I love having my hands in my tanks. Am I weird?