PDA

View Full Version : Aquascaping

Megatrev62
03/22/2013, 11:13 AM
Interested in how you feel about your aquascaping skills, so thought I'd put a few options out there.

Moort82
03/22/2013, 05:09 PM
I've setup quite a lot of tanks through work etc and i've been told i'm very good. I however have never had an artistic flare and tend to just sling the rock in. My home tank took about 10 minutes to scape and has stayed that way for the last 9 years. I'm actually amazed because it looked like i knew what i was doing, lol

Megatrev62
03/22/2013, 10:11 PM
I think having a sump gives you a big advantage because of the extra space you can have in the display for scaping. Will have one on next tank for sure. I find I can't quite get it right in my 90. Although I don't mess with it often I know it could be better.
Looking at getting a few flat pieces of rock off a buddy and going to get him to reaquascape the tank then. He's pretty good lol.

borderreef
03/23/2013, 06:35 AM
I've had three tanks over the years, and I've had to re-scape the 45 and the now 135 twice. I'm not a fan on minimalism, though their are a lot of beautiful minimalist tanks. My thought is go big or go home. I just finished my 135 this past week. Going into it I knew what I wanted. Two nice big pillar islands tapering down to low spots on either side, one going toward the front, and one toward the back. I ended up with two tall piles of rock. Oh well. still lots of swim and hiding space, and lots of room for frags and colonies. In general I like how it turned out, and barring and unforseen disaster, I won't touch it again.

Megatrev62
03/24/2013, 03:14 AM
Thanks for participating. I'm in the minority. lol

Ron Reefman
03/24/2013, 07:13 AM
I did my 180g DT in a bit of a rush as I had just torn down a 75g DT and moved the 180g into it's spot. So corals and fish spent a couple of days in holding. I did most of the rock set up blind, as in I couldn't see thru the water for the stirred up sediment. I set all my rock on an egg crate platform with pvc pipe legs that hold the egg crate about 1"-2" above the sand. I also used a 6" dia pvc pipe to create a cave. It took a couple of months, but unless you know that you are looking for, you can't see it. The front edge of the rock wall has smaller rubble set into the sand to hide the egg crate platform. So now I have almost the full footprint of a 180g tank with 2"+ of sand and lots of room for sand loving critters. I also get great water flow even at the sand level, so I've never had any cyano issues in the DT. The rock wall goes almost to the water level against the back glass.

I've collected some new LR and kept it in my sumps. Some is very branchy toga and some are bigger flat thin sheets. I'd love to redo my rock wall, but after 3 years the corals have all grown together and it will be a huge job... so I keep putting it off for later. When I think about what could go wrong if I do rebuild... I end up saying it looks way too good now to mess with it.

montiporalova
03/24/2013, 07:15 AM
I use pukani rock and can't get it right, it just looks fake.

Pearson
03/24/2013, 07:37 AM
I keep moving things around. I found a scape I liked once but then tore it down to remove a bristletooth tang my wife didn't like anymore. Dumb thing to do since I can't get it back to the way I had it.