PDA

View Full Version : Anemone ID please ***URGENT***

dgtron
03/22/2013, 12:38 PM
I have to pay for this in a few mins, can you tell if this is Haddoni or Gig?

http://i50.*******.com/103hqhc.jpg

OrionN
03/22/2013, 12:58 PM
the tentacles tapper at the end make it more likely a Gigantea rather than Haddoni. 60/40 kinda guess. Underside is what needed for ID.
I bought a Blue Carpet similar shape to this thinking it is a Haddoni and it turn out to be a Gigantea

OrionN
03/22/2013, 12:59 PM
If you buy it. Keep us update. Let me know if my ID is correct.

orangegoby
03/22/2013, 01:27 PM
looks like a beauty.

D-Nak
03/22/2013, 01:33 PM
i vote gig, but one that isn't healthy so it will most likely need treatment.

D-Nak
03/22/2013, 01:34 PM
And the color in the photo is waaaay off -- take a look at the snail shell in the bottom left corner of the photo.

OrionN
03/22/2013, 01:38 PM
^^You mean the Upper R corner?

D-Nak
03/22/2013, 01:42 PM
^^You mean the Upper R corner?

LOL... it appears in the bottom left for me. I have seen photos appear in strange ways on RC -- I'm guessing the photo is upside-down for some people.

dgtron
03/22/2013, 02:04 PM
i vote gig, but one that isn't healthy so it will most likely need treatment.

Why do you say unhealthy? Guide me to better understand. I've had various kinds of nems but a Giga this is the first.

OrionN
03/22/2013, 02:09 PM
That anemone is as good as it get for newly imported. Fot healthy Gig, see the picture on D-nak Avartar

WDLV
03/22/2013, 02:10 PM
Why do you say unhealthy? Guide me to better understand. I've had various kinds of nems but a Giga this is the first.

Loose mouth. Bad sign.

OrionN
03/22/2013, 02:15 PM
Begger cannot be choosy. I will never get newly import gig or Haddoni any better than that. I I have to wait until got get a healthy one I will never buy one, unless it is from somebody's tank

WDLV
03/22/2013, 02:20 PM
Begger cannot be choosy. I will never get newly import gig or Haddoni any better than that. I I have to wait until got get a healthy one I will never buy one, unless it is from somebody's tank

This is true... but not all have the knowledge, system requirements or experience to nurse one back to health.

...that said, it IS indeed an otherwise nice looking specimen and a loose mouth can also be an indication that it was feeding at the time or had recently fed.

D-Nak
03/22/2013, 04:19 PM
I agree that when gigs come in, many look like this, and they will be sold in this condition. Without the proper knowledge or care it will die in approximately 1 month. See the sticky at the top called "Protocol for using Ciprofloxacin to treat infected anemones." (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385)

I say it's unhealthy because of the following traits:

1. Exposed siphonoglyphs (rabbit teeth looking appendages coming out of the mouth). Healthy gigs RARELY have them exposed, even after feeding. I've had my gig for over a year and have only seen it a couple of times.

2. Overall even tone, pastel color. While it actually looks nice in terms of color, this is very deceiving because it masks the fact that it's lacking any brown color, which indicates a healthy zooxanthellae population. It could be that the photo is over-saturated to the point that the brown is just blasted out.

3. Short tentacles, looking more like haddoni than gigantea. Even newly acclimated gigs have tentacles longer than this one. I had a purple gig that actually looked fine for two weeks, then started dying. Even if the lights were just turned on, gigs tend to have tentacles that are longer. My gig is about 3/4 of the size at night than it is during the day, but the tentacles NEVER contract to the size of haddoni. They do get shorter and appear less "inflated" but not to the point of me calling the tentacles "shriveled" and I would never describe them as bulbous.

Granted, this particular specimen looks better than others I have seen, and those have survived. If you plan to purchase it, I would do so very cautiously and plan to have Cipro on hand when you receive it.

dgtron
03/22/2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks for your input guys. I did speak to local Giga fans, & they have Cipro to spare for me. I also read about the Cipro treatment.
Here is my plan of action:
I will be picking up the Nem on Sunday. Goes straight into QT tank with Cipro
Next 5 Days, observe & do 50% water changes.

If everything is Good, then into the Display he goes.

xtlosx
03/22/2013, 06:39 PM
It's a gig everyone, it was parked next to my green gig I picked up... :-) I can confirm the tentacles are much bigger than in that picture, and the underside of both of our gigs had purple verracue...

Pinkskunk
03/22/2013, 11:12 PM
I m going to go over there and buy this thing if you don't hurry up and snatch it......

Seriously u guys are lucky dogs :) having a Lfs stocking gigs like French bread....... I wish our locals are like yours.

Pinkskunk
03/23/2013, 12:36 AM
I m going to go over there and buy this thing if you don't hurry up and snatch it......

Seriously u guys are lucky dogs :) having a Lfs stocking gigs like French bread....... I wish our locals are like yours.

cet98
03/23/2013, 07:58 AM
Guess who got the Purple...;) Yes Craig Guess who?

:lol: need more of hint than ur screen name......hahaha

Btw, congrats on the nice pick up ;)

worm5406
03/23/2013, 06:10 PM
Well MY LFS said to tell him what to order and it will be in within a month or sooner.

sail33
03/23/2013, 06:39 PM
here's a great anemone site. Check out the "more" section on the right

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

xtlosx
03/23/2013, 08:14 PM
here's a great anemone site. Check out the "more" section on the right

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

I don't get how that is relevant to a Gig... that's specifically for RBTAs... two completely different animals.

worm5406
03/23/2013, 08:32 PM
SO... did you get it? Where are the pictures?

dgtron
03/23/2013, 09:17 PM
SO... did you get it? Where are the pictures?

Not yet. It's already paid for. I will be picking it up tomorrow.

dgtron
03/23/2013, 09:19 PM
Crazy question, Can I have the clowns with the Nem during Cipro treatment?

Crazy story....I have had this spaning clown pair for 6 Years. I shut down 1 system & moved the clowns to my 300G with a Hadooni Carpet.
They never liked it & did not take the nem as well. The female was hurt during feeding frenzy so I have moved the clown pair into QT.