PDA

View Full Version : What amp breaker to run?

degibson84
03/22/2013, 08:20 PM
I have my cousin(electrician) coming tomorrow to tap into the breaker box, since i have 3 unused spots, to run a dedicated line over to where my tank is going to be. I was wondering what amp breaker should i run so i dont keep tripping it?

lighting is most of the wattage 640w then factor the heater, pumps, powerheads and everything else and im well over 1200w maybe even close to 1500w

sirreal63
03/22/2013, 08:32 PM
A 20 Amp will be more than adequate.

drew2007
03/22/2013, 08:33 PM
+1 my dedicated line is a 20 amp. With that wattage you'll probably be about 10-12amps. If I calculated right.

degibson84
03/23/2013, 01:13 PM
are there different style of breakers or are the pretty much universal?

Tradewinds
03/23/2013, 01:31 PM
are there different style of breakers or are the pretty much universal?

I believe that you will need to match what is currently in your breaker box.

According to the National Electrical Code, it is advisable to use a maximum load of only 80% on any given circuit.

Rognin
03/23/2013, 01:33 PM
Easy calculation will tell you exactly what you need. (learnt it using computers and chillers)

A = Amp
W = Watts
V = Voltage

Now to either find the maximum current on a break or what you'll need in terms of wattage can be easily calculated using these formulas.

W = A*V
A = W / V
V = W / A

In this case you know one variable, voltage (110-120). So calculate the amount of wattage from every piece of equipment. Then use the A = W / V and you'll know how many/what breaker(s) to use.

billdogg
03/23/2013, 01:36 PM
the breakers will be specific to the brand of electrical box you have.

If your cousin is running a line, have him run 2 x 20A, with at least 4 double outlet boxes per. Protect yourself by putting a GFCI outlet in each of the boxes. That way you can split the important stuff between circuits so that even if one trips it will only shut down a small part of the overall system.

Don't put all your eggs in just the one basket, even if it is 20A.

JM.02

degibson84
03/23/2013, 03:07 PM
I only have two empty spots in the breaker box and one will be used by my central air unit so I only have one availablethe breakers will be specific to the brand of electrical box you have.

If your cousin is running a line, have him run 2 x 20A, with at least 4 double outlet boxes per. Protect yourself by putting a GFCI outlet in each of the boxes. That way you can split the important stuff between circuits so that even if one trips it will only shut down a small part of the overall system.

JM.02

SGT_York
03/23/2013, 04:00 PM
20 amp is the NEC standard on all electrical outlets, any more than that and you need special outlets, 15 is standard for lighting. So go with the 20, make sure you buy 12Guage wire not 14.

There are tandem breakers where you fit two in one slot. Best to replace two 15 amps with these and run two 20's to your tank. Only tanks with large heaters/chillers/pumps need more than 20 amps, but it is always good to have the essentials split between the two.

slief
03/23/2013, 04:00 PM
the breakers will be specific to the brand of electrical box you have.

JM.02

I completely agree. I run 4 circuits to my tank but my tank is big and has a lot of equipment.

I would suggest 2 circuits if not 3 if you really want to be overkill. I keep pumps on one circuit, lights on another, Chiller (in the garage) on it own circuit and other misc circuit for things like ATO and my shed outside with my salt water holding and fresh water/top off tanks. I have upwards of 40 outlets in use on my Apex spread across 4 circuits. The less load you have on a breaker and power bars for that matter, the longer they last. It's always good to have spare power or circuits should you ever need one in a pinch or expand your system.

When I built my tank in, I cut no corners and as a result my equipment failures are non existant over 16 years other than a seals on pumps. I've never had a tank breaker fail or trip.

With regards to electrical, most of the labor is in running the lines. It doesn't matter much if you are running one set vs 3 if you use flex or conduit which is what I ran. Romex can be a different story if you are running more than 2 lines.