PDA

View Full Version : Is fresh silicone lethal if dropped in saltwater?

uny2bld
03/22/2013, 09:18 PM
I lost my footing while carrying a 90 gallon tank in the basement and hit the shelf knocking an open calk gun with silicone that I had just used right into my saltwater mixing barrel...

Yes, the tank is fine. Is that water unusable now? I don't think I want to risk it unless everyone gives me the "go-ahead" It took me about a minute before I could retrieve the calk gun because I had to put the fish tank down...

Thoughts?

uny2bld
03/23/2013, 07:34 AM
anyone?

ca1ore
03/23/2013, 07:44 AM
I'd think you'd be fine, particularly if the gun wasn't oozing or the tip had skinned over. If the mixing barrel wasn't that full you could always toss the water just to be safe.

uny2bld
03/23/2013, 07:47 AM
I'd think you'd be fine, particularly if the gun wasn't oozing or the tip had skinned over. If the mixing barrel wasn't that full you could always toss the water just to be safe.

oh, no. it was oozing at the time. I had just used it...

ca1ore
03/23/2013, 07:49 AM
Me thinks safer than sorry. Use the water, have problems, and you'll be kicking yourself for a year.

doublejhunter
03/23/2013, 08:00 AM
If it's 100% silicone you should be fine, that stuff is inert.

sanababit
03/23/2013, 08:18 AM
I agree, if it pure silicon no problems, but if it makes you feel better just mix new salt water...

Sana

Drae
03/23/2013, 08:32 AM
You'll have no problems. Super glue has more chemicals then silicone but is INERT JUST like reef safe silicone.

disc1
03/23/2013, 09:11 AM
If it's 100% silicone you should be fine, that stuff is inert.

After it is cured it is inert. The curing process releases different chemicals depending on what type of silicone it was.

disc1
03/23/2013, 09:12 AM
You'll have no problems. Super glue has more chemicals then silicone but is INERT JUST like reef safe silicone.

Come again??? Most silicones releases a lot more on curing than cyanoacrylate glue does.

disc1
03/23/2013, 09:14 AM
I lost my footing while carrying a 90 gallon tank in the basement and hit the shelf knocking an open calk gun with silicone that I had just used right into my saltwater mixing barrel...

Yes, the tank is fine. Is that water unusable now? I don't think I want to risk it unless everyone gives me the "go-ahead" It took me about a minute before I could retrieve the calk gun because I had to put the fish tank down...

Thoughts?

You got the caulk gun right out immediately? None of the uncured silicone got left behind in the water? Probably OK then. What type of silicone was it?

infamous_6969
03/23/2013, 01:10 PM
If silicone is dropped into salt water will it even go through the standard curing process where the chemical reaction takes place...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

uny2bld
03/23/2013, 02:06 PM
You got the caulk gun right out immediately? None of the uncured silicone got left behind in the water? Probably OK then. What type of silicone was it?

It's typical aquarium silicone. It's hard to tell if it did or didn't. I cant reach to the bottom of the barrel to tell but I will play it safe and just dump out the water. No water changes for me this weekend... damn