PDA

View Full Version : Zoanthid Help

mess7777
03/23/2013, 12:45 PM
I posted this in the zoa forum, but wanted to put it here too for possible extra ideas.

Can't figure this one out.
I have several types of zoas growing on my center "island" in my 90g reef. Most of them are contained on frag plugs, with a whole lot of eagle eyes growing right on the rock itself. Here is a pic for reference.

I had a few common ugly green palys growing on the rock as well which I found hideous. About 2 weeks ago I decided to go all surgeon on them and cut em out!

Now I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but now all of the eagle eyes attached to the rocks look withered and the red outer part appears darker red to blotches of black as well. They don't seem to be dying....yet....but here is the weirder part. All of the zoas on frag plugs are doing great, including one with eagle eyes!! These ones are perfectly normal red, open up fully and look find. The only exception is a frag of darth maul zoas with about 15 heads that just don't look as good as usual.

I went through a huge loss of zoas on this rock after adding an ATS about 9 months ago. Since then they bounced back and are looking great. In that case they were detaching from the rock so different behavior.

Elsewhere in the tank, my SPS are not showing much PE during the day, but are still growing fine....which also may or may not be related. The SPS do open their polyps up at night though, the zoas are closed up when the lights are out.

Water Paramters :

Alk - 8.1, Calc 420ppm , dosing 2 part
Nitrates - 0 for months
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 79
Phos - .03 , has been pretty stable for about 2 weeks, before that was closer to .1...some fluctuation here for sure.

Can zoas starve? I feed oyster eggs on occasion, that would be the smallest particles I feed to the tank. These are the oldest zoas in the tank, so I guess one could argue that they have had the longest time without food?

FYI on my lighting, these zoas are receiving a max of 100 par at the top of the rock, and down to almost nothing near the bottom.

mess7777
03/23/2013, 12:48 PM
Here are some photos for reference. Since these photos a couple days ago things have gotten worse and started to affect other colonies. I also have a flameback angel picking at the sick ones so that doesn't help them at all.

So far I have tried doing a peroxide 5:1 dip with the frags I can get out. These frags are staying closed which maybe isn't a bad thing all things considered.

The big rock with the zoas attached cannot come out for a dip unless I remove an entire side island of rock which would be a huge undertaking.

Here are the worst ones
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hZS030r4iuE/UUj3eXEaqwI/AAAAAAAAAdA/VE6uUqUzxLc/s1263/zoas03192013.JPG

These ones look ok, but seem to be shrinking over the past couple days:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WhKkpsHAi1E/UUj3eUSiX1I/AAAAAAAAAc8/qrf666Rlkf0/s1263/zoas203192013.JPG