PDA

View Full Version : 220 volt return pump

brubakron
03/23/2013, 01:35 PM
Building a fish room, and the electrician asked if I would like a 220v outlet for the return pump. He has experience with pool pumps where they run quieter, and are more efficient. I read a few threads, but would like some additional feedback. So far it seems as if though I wouldn't gain much with the 220v outlet, and it would limit the pumps that I would be able to purchase. This will be for a 265 gallon in wall, with 100 to 150 sump. Thanks for the input.

Rognin
03/23/2013, 01:44 PM
Building a fish room, and the electrician asked if I would like a 220v outlet for the return pump. He has experience with pool pumps where they run quieter, and are more efficient. I read a few threads, but would like some additional feedback. So far it seems as if though I wouldn't gain much with the 220v outlet, and it would limit the pumps that I would be able to purchase. This will be for a 265 gallon in wall, with 100 to 150 sump. Thanks for the input.

The pumps used in home aquaria have to be plastic where water contact is involved (metal ions are bad for inverts). So I doubt pool pumps are a good choice...

brubakron
03/23/2013, 01:51 PM
The pumps used in home aquaria have to be plastic where water contact is involved (metal ions are bad for inverts). So I doubt pool pumps are a good choice...

I should clarify, i am not going to put in a pool pump. I would use one made for an aquarium, but am wondering about a pump that runs on 220volts. The electrician knows that larger pumps run quieter at 220 volts, and is talking in reference to pool pumps. I am wondering if the same would be true for an aquarium pump, and if it is worth putting in an outlet at 220 volts.

Devil Man
03/23/2013, 01:54 PM
well im sure if you look into larger euro spec return pumps you should easily find a 220v pump since thats what they run across the pond. 220v is better

Rognin
03/23/2013, 01:58 PM
Well I think that's pretty much true. My D5 vario pumps for my computer are rated 12-24VDC. They run much better on 24v, so if your return pump is rated 110-220 you can plug in a 220 outlet. Just make sure the pump is rated to work on that voltage, it's normally written in the manual or on the pump itself.

jerpa
03/23/2013, 01:59 PM
I would check with the manufacturer to make sure the higher frequency of our power won't effect the pump if you look at European models. You will likely have to change the plug as well. I personally wouldn't go through the hassle and would stick with a standard pump. There will be very little efficiency gain in your situation. Much of the savings come from installation savings in 220 volt applications.

Paul B
03/23/2013, 02:03 PM
They should not run quieter but they are smaller, that is the only advantage.
(Master electrician 40 years)

username in use
03/23/2013, 02:41 PM

Many if not most pool pumps only have plastics come in contact with the water. I know of multiple large systems that use Hayward pool pumps.

azjohnny
03/23/2013, 03:05 PM
If you double the voltage you will decrease the amp draw drastically making it a lot more efficient. Amps= heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rognin
03/23/2013, 03:42 PM
If you double the voltage you will decrease the amp draw drastically making it a lot more efficient. Amps= heat

Nope, that's wrong. Watts = heat

If you up the voltage, reduce the amperage you get about the same amount of watts.

SGT_York
03/23/2013, 04:14 PM
there is no such thing as 220 in most homes in the US. We use two phase 110, which is just two 110s run in opposite polarities. makes no difference with heating elements but a big difference in motors. So going from 110 to 220 will not affect amps or watts. Now if you could get three phase into your home that motor would be efficient.

azjohnny
03/23/2013, 04:21 PM
A given component such as a motor will draw X amount of wattage no matter what, and if you increase the voltage the amps will go down to stay with the Amps X Voltage = Watts. Electricity is more efficient at higher voltages

Paul B
03/23/2013, 07:06 PM
there is no such thing as 220 in most homes in the US.
Correct, it is 208 in most places in the US

jerpa
03/23/2013, 07:19 PM

Not in this situation. It will make a slight difference because the motor would run ever so slightly cooler and you would lose slightly less conducting the power to the pump. The difference would be beyond negligible.

brubakron
03/24/2013, 01:44 PM
After researching different options, and getting input from multiple sources I am still in the middle on if I want to run a pump at 220 volts. I am going to have the electrician (most likely) run a couple of 220 volt boxes, that way I will have the option if I choose to run a pump or other equipment at 220 volts. I am not planning on using a chiller because the tank will be in the basement, but we will see once the tank is up and running. I would consider running a chiller too at 220 volts if needed.