PDA

View Full Version : macro in dt?

surgy
03/23/2013, 02:56 PM
I was reading an article about keeping macro in my dt. since i dont plan on having coral. just to add some interesting colors and movement. is macro hard to keep? will it invade everything? the two i have in mind are from live aquaria heres a link to the first one i want.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=490+664&pcatid=664

i have 22 lb of live rock in a 36 gallon bow front. no animals yet. 2 inch sand bed. plan on keeping a citrinus goby a ocellaris clown and a host of inverts.

my lighting is a single T-5 aqueon full spectrum with reflector.

water params
temp 78F
sg 1.025

what do you guys think? i was thinking two different types one in each of the back corners planted in the sand.

thegrun
03/23/2013, 03:08 PM
My only concern with the algae shown is its temperature range which is lower than what most aquariums are kept at. That said most kelp are hardy so this one may stand up to higher temperatures. I keep dragons breath flame algae in my DT but I don't have a tang or other her herbivores in that tank

surgy
03/23/2013, 04:08 PM
yeah im concerned about temp, the clown needs high 70s and im also concerned about it spreading faster than my inverts can eat it. i would like to find a balance so the inverts eat enough to keep it in one place.

kissman
03/23/2013, 06:01 PM
macro algae's can over run the tank very quickly. Some worse than others. But if you want to get some check out www.reefcleaners.org

rayn
03/23/2013, 08:21 PM
Yes they can grow quickly, but prune them and either sell it or trade it in at the lfs.