PDA

View Full Version : White Coralline Algae

rinconmike
03/23/2013, 04:09 PM
I have a 150 FOWLR and a month or so back I put in some pieces of LR that had nice purple coralline algae on it.

I am not sure if it is related, but in the last month or so, I have a much of white spots all over my platic overflows and the back glass that looks like white coralline algae.

I have read when coralline dies, it will turn white, but these specs were never purple. Is there white coralline? Or could it be something else? if so, any ideas.

Also, I started biopellets a couple months ago and the red slime algae I had is pretty much gone and the red hair algae I have is dying off. I am not sure if it is related.

thanks,

kfisc
03/23/2013, 05:00 PM
A best guess is some other form of dead algae or calcium precipitation.

bnumair
03/23/2013, 05:41 PM
i agree with above post. if coralline algae then its probably not getting enough light in the area it started growing or if using week old bulbs then that could cause it to white out as well.

Anthony55Gal
03/23/2013, 06:04 PM
Same thing happened to me, I have cheap LED strips that turned my coralline from Purple to White in less then a month. I'm too cheap to upgrade the lights on the 55. So, instead, I broke off a couple of pieces of the LR with the coralline and put it into my 10G reef instead. Doing quite well there :lol2:

rinconmike
03/23/2013, 06:43 PM
thanks. I have three rows of the Truelumen Pro LED Marine Fusion (two 36" per row) but usually only keep one row on.

It all looks like it started white (I did not see purple spots turn white) so that is why I thought it might be white coralline instead of purple dying. I will try keeping the 3 rows of LED on and see if that is an issue.

The two pieces of rock that have purple coralline still has plenty of purple on it too.

thanks,

Mike

rinconmike
03/24/2013, 05:47 AM
Here is a closeup from my web cam of some of the spots.

http://db.tt/WwIEXDFH

thanks

KeepNitReel
03/24/2013, 06:12 AM
Here is a closeup from my web cam of some of the spots.

http://db.tt/WwIEXDFH

thanks

Those are the same spots I've seen in my 55g that's currently cycling without any LR or coraline introduced in the tank.

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

downbeach
03/24/2013, 06:24 AM
Not coraline algae. There are a few things that it could be, Nerite snails leave eggs that look like small white sesame seeds, or it could be Spirorbid Worms, which are harmless.

rinconmike
03/24/2013, 06:57 AM
thanks. looking at pictures of Spirorbid Worms worms online that looks like what I have.

thanks again.

Mike