PDA

View Full Version : Brittle Star or Serpent Star? Which do I choose?

yort265
03/23/2013, 04:27 PM
Which one of these do I get. I'm about to order a CUC and want one of these little guys roaming around! I want one that's active, one that's pretty, and one that's reef safe! Thanks for the suggestions!

Troy

squishifishi
03/23/2013, 04:41 PM
I personally would choose brittle stars because many types of serpent stars will grow large and eat fish while brittle stars are completely beneficial.

yort265
03/23/2013, 06:00 PM
thanks for the reply! are there any other considerations I need to take into account? like what type of food I need to have for it, or does it strictly stick to leftovers & detritus? thanks!

sail33
03/23/2013, 07:02 PM
I personally would choose brittle stars because many types of serpent stars will grow large and eat fish while brittle stars are completely beneficial.

I have a serpent star and he does wander at night. I had NO IDEA that they might eat fish. He is getting larger. Not to hijack the thread but it seems like they'd have to be really big to fit a whole fish.... ?

Oh.. I feed my star bits of shrimp and scallop. I hand feed and draw him out to make sure he gets some. Every two or three days no bigger than 1/4 inch cube.

rssjsb
03/24/2013, 11:08 AM
I have a serpent star and he does wander at night. I had NO IDEA that they might eat fish. He is getting larger. Not to hijack the thread but it seems like they'd have to be really big to fit a whole fish.... ?

Oh.. I feed my star bits of shrimp and scallop. I hand feed and draw him out to make sure he gets some. Every two or three days no bigger than 1/4 inch cube.Squishifishi's statement is pretty sweeping. Green brittle stars (which look like a cross between brittle and serpent stars) are notorious fish-eaters, especially when they get bigger. Other types are fine.

For example, I've got four harlequin serpents in my tank. I've kept these guys for years and have no evidence that they pose any danger to anything in the tank as long as they are well fed.

What kind do you have?

alexander_ktn
03/25/2013, 03:37 AM
Green brittle stars (which look like a cross between brittle and serpent stars) are notorious fish-eaters, especially when they get bigger.

I agree - but wanted to note that there are color morphs/related species that look about the same but are colored differently (e.g. orangish/pinkish) which can and do also catch sleeping fish.

rssjsb
03/25/2013, 09:00 AM
I agree - but wanted to note that there are color morphs/related species that look about the same but are colored differently (e.g. orangish/pinkish) which can and do also catch sleeping fish.Can you elaborate? I've never heard of different color morphs of this star. Not doubting you, but wondering if you can point us in the direction of a link or something.

Where an invert poses an actual risk, I think it's important to be able to advise people what it looks like. That way they're less likely to freak out and kill a harmless hitchhiker.

alexander_ktn
03/25/2013, 09:07 AM
Of course, no problem! We have an article about that one in our reef encyclopedia http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/tiere/4428_Ophiarachna_sp.htm

They appear to be quite rare, that one was submitted by one of my co-admins and we are unsure what the exact species is, but it's not reefsafe/fishsafe ;) and definitely in the Ophiarachna genus.

rssjsb
03/25/2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks, It looks like an albino form of the green brittle. Interesting. I wouldn't think that there's a big risk that these guys will turn up in someone's tank, but it's good to know it's possible.

Again, I don't know if "many" types of brittle or serpents are a risk. Any carnivorous animal in your tank has the potential of eating something you'd rather they didn't if not properly fed. A little spot feeding can go a long way.

I don't think the same can be said for the green brittle stars (or its albino form), but they're fairly easy to avoid because they are quite unique looking.

alexander_ktn
03/25/2013, 10:02 AM
We - and an expert for sea stars weren't sure - that's why we keep it as Ophiarachna sp. - but it could well be an albino/color morph.

You're right, most brittle/serpent stars are generally safe and I wouldn't have a problem with adding them to my tanks.

squishifishi
03/25/2013, 09:06 PM
hey, sorry to be confusing there!
not ALL serpent stars are bad, there are definately good ones too, but there are also dangerous types so be wary.
With a brittle star though, you will almost always be safe.
yort, both brittles and serpents do need the occasional spot feeding and you can just feed them your regular fish food!
have fun with these beautiful stars, and sorry for stirring up any confusion!

yort265
03/26/2013, 01:11 AM
thanks for the replys! I have a brittle star on order. it'll be here in a couple of days!

Mangodude
03/26/2013, 02:12 PM
From my experience, and opinion of everyone I've asked, Brittle stars (particularly the green ones) will catch fish. They get considerably larger then serpents too. I see brittle that are 12" across but I rarely see an serpant bigger then 8.

MikeTR
03/26/2013, 02:23 PM
Yet to have problems with this guy... takes down a whole silverside with ease though.. I've been considering whether or not to take him out.

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy50/nanomiketr/7BB7CEBE-F20D-4681-A161-8C822E7BC666-1181-000001552CBCC118.jpg

alexander_ktn
03/26/2013, 02:32 PM
That's the one I linked earlier in the thread - it's basically a green brittle star in another color. ;)

One of the very few bad guys...

MikeTR
03/26/2013, 08:54 PM
He does not seem to respond to fish in the tank unless they're dying. I had one not take too well to a freshwater dip and he started to take interest. I'll feel better not having him in there as I have some expensive wrasses. He comes runnin for food so easy to catch.

rssjsb
03/27/2013, 09:05 AM
From my experience, and opinion of everyone I've asked, Brittle stars (particularly the green ones) will catch fish. They get considerably larger then serpents too. I see brittle that are 12" across but I rarely see an serpant bigger then 8.I've kept brittle stars (not green brittles) and serpent stars for a decade and have never had that experience. I'm sure that they'll eat dead fish and might catch a dying fish, but I can't really see them catching anything healthy. Green brittles drop onto sleeping fish at night, but I've never heard of other stars doing this.

Mangodude
03/27/2013, 09:52 AM
I've kept brittle stars (not green brittles) and serpent stars for a decade and have never had that experience. I'm sure that they'll eat dead fish and might catch a dying fish, but I can't really see them catching anything healthy. Green brittles drop onto sleeping fish at night, but I've never heard of other stars doing this.

Perhaps what Mike said is true about there being different colors of "green brittles". This is why I like scientific names lol

It may also depend on the fish/how the sleep/where/what the rock looks like etc. I may have just talked to the odd group of the bunch too. Thanks for sharing :)

yort265
04/02/2013, 03:00 AM
so... I ordered a brittle star. he's very cool looking but the problem is I never see him. he stays hidden within the rock work. every once in a while I can see a couple of his tentacles sticking out, but not much else... I'm worried he's not getting enough food. what do you guys recommend?

rssjsb
04/02/2013, 09:18 AM
Yes, most brittles and serpents are pretty cryptic and you may only see the whole thing after lights out or at feeding time. If you have a turkey baster and can squirt food in his direction every now and then, I'm sure he will appreciate it. Otherwise, he'll have to forage around for leftovers. They'll eat pellets or whatever they can find.

Mangodude, I hope I didn't sound snarky. I'm sure that there are other stars that can be predatory and some otherwise safe stars may get desparate if they're underfed. But on the whole, brittles are pretty good citizens in my experience.