PDA

View Full Version : How big is this tank?

Shark123
03/23/2013, 04:53 PM
What do you think the dimensions are ( L x W x H ). It's 2000 gallons, but I don't know it's dimensions.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XhMleI5LPz4&feature=g-user-u http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g-high-u&v=1mvJqkZg06Q

jmadison
03/23/2013, 04:59 PM
THIS IS NOT AN ADEQUATE SYSTEM FOR A BLACK TIP. Just becuase you found someone with one in a tank that size doesn't mean you should follow suit with poor husbandry. PLEASE do not buy ANY shark. And stop hunting for the one person to give you the answer that you know contradicts everyone else's responsible advice.

Shark123
03/23/2013, 05:04 PM
I'm not buying looking for the dimensions because of the shark, I just like the look of the tank.

Fishmommy
03/23/2013, 05:08 PM
Let me google this for you

http://www.fintastic.us/custom-aquariums/2000-gallon/

Sent from my gadget using Trippytalk HD

Shark123
03/23/2013, 05:17 PM
Let me google this for you

http://www.fintastic.us/custom-aquariums/2000-gallon/

Lol, thanks, but it doesn't say how big that aquarium is.

Fishmommy
03/23/2013, 05:18 PM
It gives examples of measurements for 2000 gallons. I would guess the youtoob one is 188 x 55 x 45 like the article says.

Shark123
03/23/2013, 05:27 PM
Are you sure? It looks no where near 15 feet long. I think it has so much gallons because its so tall. Do you think the height is a lot, maybe 6 feet?

Fishmommy
03/23/2013, 05:28 PM
I have no idea.

Fishmommy
03/23/2013, 05:32 PM
Whoops... Hit send too soon.
Anyway, you have those dimensions so you can calculate volume for 2000 gallons. Then just adjust the measurements setting the product equal to that volume until you are satisfied. Boom.

Ostara
03/23/2013, 05:57 PM
THIS IS NOT AN ADEQUATE SYSTEM FOR A BLACK TIP. Just becuase you found someone with one in a tank that size doesn't mean you should follow suit with poor husbandry. PLEASE do not buy ANY shark. And stop hunting for the one person to give you the answer that you know contradicts everyone else's responsible advice.

This. You need a pool for this animal, not a tank. There are several members here who keep shark pools and none of them will think it a good idea to purchase a black tip as a first shark. Your profile says you haven't even kept saltwater before. Starting with ANY shark is asking for failure.

Do you know how many thousands of dollars you're looking at to set up a large standard, non-shark tank? Do you know how many thousands of dollars black tip reef sharks cost, and how much it costs to ship them because of their special transport needs? Do you know what those needs are? Walk before you run.

Rapide
03/24/2013, 08:48 AM
Oh snap!

Dmorty217
03/24/2013, 09:32 AM
This. You need a pool for this animal, not a tank. There are several members here who keep shark pools and none of them will think it a good idea to purchase a black tip as a first shark. Your profile says you haven't even kept saltwater before. Starting with ANY shark is asking for failure.

Do you know how many thousands of dollars you're looking at to set up a large standard, non-shark tank? Do you know how many thousands of dollars black tip reef sharks cost, and how much it costs to ship them because of their special transport needs? Do you know what those needs are? Walk before you run.

+1 shark123 don't be discouraged by what you are reading from people on here but the bigger issue is read,read, and read some more. You will get somewhat hostile responses on here because of lack of knowledge and because most if not all of us on here love our fish and want to do the right and responsible thing when housing these animals. I have been in saltwater for 15 yrs now and still read everything I can and learn something new almost everyday

Charfish
03/24/2013, 09:35 AM
+1 shark123 don't be discouraged by what you are reading from people on here but the bigger issue is read,read, and read some more. You will get somewhat hostile responses on here because of lack of knowledge and because most if not all of us on here love our fish and want to do the right and responsible thing when housing these animals. I have been in saltwater for 15 yrs now and still read everything i can and learn something new almost everyday

+1

Shark123
03/24/2013, 12:49 PM
+1 shark123 don't be discouraged by what you are reading from people on here but the bigger issue is read,read, and read some more. You will get somewhat hostile responses on here because of lack of knowledge and because most if not all of us on here love our fish and want to do the right and responsible thing when housing these animals. I have been in saltwater for 15 yrs now and still read everything I can and learn something new almost everyday

What am I saying that causes people to get so mad?

Fishmommy
03/24/2013, 12:50 PM
I think what will help is if you come out and say that you understand that a black tip is not for you and you have given up on that idea.

rssjsb
03/24/2013, 01:14 PM
What am I saying that causes people to get so mad?Often people who are just starting out come on these boards with a preconceived idea of what they're looking for and start lots and lots of threads. It's become sort of a red flag to people.

People give them good thoughtful advice and try to steer them in a direction that will give them the best chance of success, then end up feeling jerked around because the person ignores that advice by asking the same questions over and over until someone says "go for it!" (There's always someone out there who will tell you what you want to hear.) Here are a few of the biggest red flags:

1. Starting multiple threads, especially if they are asking some of the same questions or so overlapping that they appear to be avoiding answers the poster doesn't want to hear.

2. Asking about big species that shouldn't ever be kept in captivity (e.g., big sharks) is a red flag on its own.

3. There is also a history of people with no experience saying they are going to set up an extremely ambitious tanks. These people tend to disappear after a short time once they figure out that it's impractical.

This can be frustrating (and, apparently mystifying) for people who are honestly interested in doing the right things because people who have been around here for a long time have less patience when they see those kinds of things in a thread.

I'm not trying to lecture you, but you seem to want to know what you're doing that is getting a strong reaction. Hope this is helpful.

Shark123
03/24/2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks a lot, ill try to not do those things anymore.

blackbeltmom
03/25/2013, 07:53 PM
Lol, thanks, but it doesn't say how big that aquarium is.

Fish mommy is right, it says right on the page that it is

188” wide x 55” deep x 45” Tall

blackbeltmom
03/25/2013, 07:53 PM
Often people who are just starting out come on these boards with a preconceived idea of what they're looking for and start lots and lots of threads. It's become sort of a red flag to people.

People give them good thoughtful advice and try to steer them in a direction that will give them the best chance of success, then end up feeling jerked around because the person ignores that advice by asking the same questions over and over until someone says "go for it!" (There's always someone out there who will tell you what you want to hear.) Here are a few of the biggest red flags:

1. Starting multiple threads, especially if they are asking some of the same questions or so overlapping that they appear to be avoiding answers the poster doesn't want to hear.

2. Asking about big species that shouldn't ever be kept in captivity (e.g., big sharks) is a red flag on its own.

3. There is also a history of people with no experience saying they are going to set up an extremely ambitious tanks. These people tend to disappear after a short time once they figure out that it's impractical.

This can be frustrating (and, apparently mystifying) for people who are honestly interested in doing the right things because people who have been around here for a long time have less patience when they see those kinds of things in a thread.

I'm not trying to lecture you, but you seem to want to know what you're doing that is getting a strong reaction. Hope this is helpful.

Well said.