PDA

View Full Version : Sump/Return sounds like a water fall, Help

yetta43
03/23/2013, 06:14 PM
Help, I hope.

Set up tank, salt water rock all in. Sump with return sounding like a water fall with tons of bubbles in the return and not over flowing some of the time. The return is in the center of the tank and I have no pumps forcing the water down but sounds like I do have something other than gravity taking the water back to the sump.

Any suggestions?

sail33
03/23/2013, 06:22 PM
Trying to understand...
Is the water making noise as it enters the sump or as it returns to the display tank?
Are you getting lots of bubbles in the return to the display tank?

you shouldn't need a pump to get water to the sump if it's lower than the display tank.

If you could take a few pictures it would really help a lot.

I don't know what sound you hear but I just took my return pump apart for cleaning and found a snail shell rattling around in there. It also reduced flow.

nynick
03/23/2013, 07:04 PM
Google Durso, easy diy mod that quiets an overflow.

dirkomatic
03/23/2013, 07:49 PM
Durso, or you could install a valve after the overflow. This will let you restrict the flow so more of the pipe is filled.

nynick
03/23/2013, 08:27 PM
Durso, or you could install a valve after the overflow. This will let you restrict the flow so more of the pipe is filled.

NEVER (EVER!) do this unless you have 2 pipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dialing down a regular overflow to a complete siphon is a disaster waiting to happen.

r1racer
03/23/2013, 09:20 PM
If the noise is in the return lines you need a valve to slow the flow but only if your return flow allows. If the noise is in the sump a sock filter or sponge may help a little.

amutti
03/23/2013, 09:23 PM
If the sump is really loud (the overflow line entering the sump) and you have a ton of bubbles, then I'd guess the flow of your return pump is too high. This, or the hose is too deep in the sump. If the overflow is too loud then a Durso standpipe should solve it. It's cheap and easy to make or cheap to order.

E Rosewater
03/23/2013, 09:23 PM
If its not overflowing all of the time it would likely mean that you don't have enough water?

E Rosewater
03/23/2013, 09:31 PM
Or the return flow is too much for the overflow? Overflow fills with water, sump level drops, blows a bunch of air, overflow drains, cycle starts over?

Is water level in the sump changing?

dirkomatic
03/23/2013, 09:54 PM
NEVER (EVER!) do this unless you have 2 pipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dialing down a regular overflow to a complete siphon is a disaster waiting to happen.

Agreed. I guess I assumed everyone knew to have 2 overflows... Sorry for the confusion!

cap032
03/24/2013, 07:42 AM
If water is loud and splashing entering into the sump.......make sure to have the drain line below water level in the sump. To stop bubbles, have that drain line submerged in a filter sock. Also, depending on how big yor return pump is, you may be able to use a smaller pump which will quieten things significantly. Please explain by what you mean with "not overflowing sometimes"???