PDA

View Full Version : First SPS frag

Ghstwolf
03/23/2013, 09:59 PM
A co-worker gave me this the other day. I'm pretty happy for my first piece of sps..

Small Orange Monti frag...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7165&pictureid=51340

biggles
03/23/2013, 11:17 PM
That looks like a very nicely colored monti, good way to start your decent into reefing madness with SPS...... :)

chessmanmark
03/24/2013, 10:04 AM
WIth montis and acros they will spend their initial energy growing down to form a base. With a new tank it can seem like forever to get some growth. Look for a birdsnest for your next piece. They don't encrust and will show growth faster than an encrusting piece. ORA has some nice ones.

Ghstwolf
03/24/2013, 11:58 AM
I wasn't gonna turn down a free frag.. But I'm curious on how to mount the monti?? Do I glue it flat on my rock or just leave it kind of tucked into a space like I have it??

bobkill
03/24/2013, 12:34 PM
As long as it is sturdy, I would just leave it _ it will encrust on that rock . And welcome to the dark side of coral!

chessmanmark
03/24/2013, 04:47 PM
I wasn't gonna turn down a free frag.. But I'm curious on how to mount the monti?? Do I glue it flat on my rock or just leave it kind of tucked into a space like I have it??

I would say glue it down. It will be happier if it is secured and I find that corals grow quickly over super glue gel. If it moves around it won't be concentrating it's energy to basing. A snail or crab can knock it off the rock and then you have to fish around for it and it doesn't always land in a convenient place. I spend $10-$20 at the dollar store on super glue gel when I go and then I'm set for the year. I think one three pack will do to start. :)

Ghstwolf
03/24/2013, 08:10 PM
I normally do superglue my frags down.. Just wasn't sure about a "plate" frag.. Wasn't sure if it should be flat or if I should attach it where the cut occured..

flooddc
03/24/2013, 10:05 PM
nice start! it will grow fast. i had mine next to the back of the tank. after a year, it encrusted on to the glass of the tank with multiples plates.