PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer question

Raptor72
03/24/2013, 08:16 AM
I'm about to set up a Coralife Turbo Twist sterilizer and was wondering if I could get away with running it with the output hose from my BRS double reactor, or do I have to get a dedicated pump.

Raptor72
03/24/2013, 05:43 PM
Bump

elFloyd
03/24/2013, 05:52 PM
I have a dedicated pump. That way you are not limited by the GFO flow requirements, and, some of the things you want to kill with the UV may have been caught in the carbon or GFO meaning more of the bad critters may be present in water not coming through the BSR first.

slief
03/24/2013, 07:03 PM
I'm about to set up a Coralife Turbo Twist sterilizer and was wondering if I could get away with running it with the output hose from my BRS double reactor, or do I have to get a dedicated pump.

Definately not. First off, you use a very slow flow for GFO. You want just enough flow through GFO to get a very slight tumble on the top of the GFO. Carbon is a bit higher flow. Either way, you have to factor the UV filters flow specs. A higher flow through the UV will polish the water vs lower flow having a greater kill factor. The UV Filter specs should disclose that info so you can decide how much flow you want.

Keep in mind that at a very low flow rate, the UV will kill anything that passes through it including benificial critters that make good food. That may not matter to you if have a fish only system with lots of big fish. For me, I can go weeks or even months without feeding and my fish always manage to stay fat and happy.

Ideally the UV should run on a closed loop to and from the display instead of from the sump where you may have food sources reproducing. Base your flow on whether you want it only for clean clear water or to kill parasites which also polishes the water. Then go from there. In my case, I am on the higher side of flow for my unit but also have a gate valve so I can slow it down when I want. Mine runs inline on a dedicated closed loop on the display.

slief
03/24/2013, 07:12 PM
On the second page of this PDF is a table with the suggested flow rates for each different model.
The low end of the flow rate will be kill, kill and the high end will be polishing the water with minimal sterilization. Choose your pump accordingly.
http://coralifeproducts.com/Files/Product/turbotwist-instructions.pdf

shonc182
03/24/2013, 09:00 PM
I have a Coralife Turbo Twist - it is teed off of the return line to the tank with a ball valve. I have it adjusted for pretty low flow. I have however never been sure what (if any) effect it has on my system - I don't know how to really check.