PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Aquarium Lighting

Shark123
03/24/2013, 01:04 PM
Hello, just saying this has nothing to do with sharks, so stop bringing that topic into every thread I make, lol. I made this thread so we can discuss saltwater aquarium lighting, and come to a conclusion of which one is "better quality". By better quality, I mean brighter, not the sort of brightness that hurts your eyes, but the type that makes the tank look beautiful.

Snook65
03/24/2013, 02:33 PM
What type of shark you gonna put in your tank?

Shark123
03/24/2013, 02:46 PM
Hello, just saying this has nothing to do with sharks, so stop bringing that topic into every thread I make, lol. I made this thread so we can discuss saltwater aquarium lighting, and come to a conclusion of which one is "better quality". By better quality, I mean brighter, not the sort of brightness that hurts your eyes, but the type that makes the tank look beautiful.

Shark123
03/24/2013, 02:47 PM
What type of shark you gonna put in your tank?

Lol

slief
03/24/2013, 03:01 PM
What is best depends on WHAT you are going to put in your tank.. Fish, Corals etc. What is best also depends somewhat on your tank size (L x W x H).

I think if you are serious and want a real answer, you need to provide more info on what you plan on keeping in your tank and what size tank you are talking about.

That said, didn't you just PM me about Black Tip Reef Sharks?? If so, I never heard back from you..

P.S. You might want to consider joining here or reading up at the very least.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?189-Sharks-Rays
Unless you have lots of salt water tank experience which judging by your questions I suspect you don't, you might want to consider starting off small with a fish only system and some eels. Lighting isn't important for that and nor is having a 1000+ gallon tank.

Shark123
03/24/2013, 03:09 PM
What is best depends on WHAT you are going to put in your tank.. Fish, Corals etc. What is best also depends somewhat on your tank size (L x W x H).

I think if you are serious and want a real answer, you need to provide more info on what you plan on keeping in your tank and what size tank you are talking about.

Okay, thanks for the advice, ill give more details from now on. I was thinking 500-2000 gallons (haven't got dimensions yet), racetrack shape, FOWLR (with a couple of corals, very little, not much). Also, In lots of reef tanks and some FOWLR/FO I see very beautiful lighting. In your signature you said you have a 480 gallon reef, do you have any idea whats the best/most beautiful lighting for reef (disregarding price). Thanks.

Mrscribbled
03/24/2013, 03:14 PM
Go to marine depot website, reasearch lights there and read reviews then come back.

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

Shark123
03/24/2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks, that's a great website. I heard that saltwater aquariums need UV lights, or else the fish will die. Is that true?

slief
03/24/2013, 04:08 PM
Okay, thanks for the advice, ill give more details from now on. I was thinking 500-2000 gallons (haven't got dimensions yet), racetrack shape, FOWLR (with a couple of corals, very little, not much). Also, In lots of reef tanks and some FOWLR/FO I see very beautiful lighting. In your signature you said you have a 480 gallon reef, do you have any idea whats the best/most beautiful lighting for reef (disregarding price). Thanks.

My tank is a reef tank. I used to run metal halides but switched to LED's.
For a fish only system I would use LED's or fluorescent lighting. No need for high power lighting for fish. As for LED types, there are all kinds but if for example you are planning a 2000G reef style tank, I'd budget $20,000 or more to light it properly using LED's.

That said, not sure why you would go racetrack shape unless you plan on keeping sharks. Have you even investigated the cost on a 2000 gallon oval end (racetrack) tank? I'd estimate costs around $100,000 + for a complete build out with a properly designed tank of proper thickness, sump, filtration, lighting, pumps, heating, cooling, ventilation etc.

If you are getting these ideas from the show Tanked, I would suggest thinking again. I've been in the salt water aquaria hobby for nearly 30 years now. I've owned countless shark species and even imported and resold them. I've followed that show since it's inception and I don't agree with their practices at all. They set a poor example for hobbyist's and new comers alike. Especially their shark tanks which are historically way to small depending on the species. Sadly most fish that go into tanks end up dead. Loosing a $1000+ fish due to inexperience or inadequate housing or insufficient equipment is a real concern. Especially without years of first hand experience. Contrary to what you see on TV, you don't just put a tank together, fill it with water and then drop $1000's of dollars in fish into the tank. I don't care what water, live sand or bacteria is added at the time of startup. That seems to be what you see on tanked but what they don't show is the aftermath and casualties of their practices. Also, their customer base can afford the casualties and are willing to pay for it but they are not true hobbyists. Instead they look at a tank and see it as though it's something like a picture which you would hang on a wall instead of a living eco system designed to support a specific form of life for many years to come.

Sadly, when you watch that show, what you are not told is that most of the sharks they put into those tanks will outgrow the tank within a year or 2 at most. A properly fed captive black tip for example can grow 2 to 3' in one year. Then what do you do with it?? There isn't a person around who can readily accommodate a 4-5' black tip which needs at least 5x it's own length in each direction. Even public aquariums won't touch the fish due to regulations. A 3' black tip should have a 15' long run in a straight line. If it doesn't it will stress itself, crash into the glass relentlessly and go down hill in a real hurry only to perish in a miserable death. Most of the time when I see captive black tips, I always see them swimming with their tail below their head which is a real bad sign of an unhealthy fish. People think they are neat but don't take into account tank size needs, costs, growth and what you would do with it when it outgrows your tank which with a black tip or lemon shark is much faster than you think! Like I said, they grow at a rate of up to 2-3' a year and a typical pup is around 20-24" if you can find one that small.

I know you didn't ask for that info but given that I looked up some of your post's after your PM, I figured I would put it out there.

I suspect based on your line of questioning that you are new to this hobby. Forget money, think about the life in these tanks and the attrition and casualties that us hobbyist have on fish that are collected from the oceans. Consider that 90% or more of the fish that are collected for the hobby are dead within a month or 2 from collection. 50% don't even survive long enough to make it from collection to the hobbyist and die someplace between the collection site and the retailer. 90% of the fish that are sold in stores are dead within months as well. If you really love salt water species and view them as more than just an ornament, start small and become familiar with what it takes to keep fish alive first. Then consider what ever your next step/tank will be. Don't go blow tens of thousands or a hundred thousand dollars on something that takes years to master without some real experience first. Otherwise, I can assure from experience, it will end it disaster.

Clownin Aroun
03/24/2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks, that's a great website. I heard that saltwater aquariums need UV lights, or else the fish will die. Is that true?

No that is not true, please, any question you have google it first and then ask for a clarification if you still don't understand. If you know such a little amount about saltwater aquariums you should not be starting a 500+ gallon tank.

Why not start with a 40 or 50 gallon.

Think about the lives of the fish. Don't use them as test dummies. Learn before you do anything!!!

Shark123
03/24/2013, 05:04 PM
My tank is a reef tank. I used to run metal halides but switched to LED's.
For a fish only system I would use LED's or fluorescent lighting. No need for high power lighting for fish. As for LED types, there are all kinds but if for example you are planning a 2000G reef style tank, I'd budget $20,000 or more to light it properly using LED's.

That said, not sure why you would go racetrack shape unless you plan on keeping sharks. Have you even investigated the cost on a 2000 gallon oval end (racetrack) tank? I'd estimate costs around $100,000 + for a complete build out with a properly designed tank of proper thickness, sump, filtration, lighting, pumps, heating, cooling, ventilation etc.

If you are getting these ideas from the show Tanked, I would suggest thinking again. I've been in the salt water aquaria hobby for nearly 30 years now. I've owned countless shark species and even imported and resold them. I've followed that show since it's inception and I don't agree with their practices at all. They set a poor example for hobbyist's and new comers alike. Especially their shark tanks which are historically way to small depending on the species. Sadly most fish that go into tanks end up dead. Loosing a $1000+ fish due to inexperience or inadequate housing or insufficient equipment is a real concern. Especially without years of first hand experience. Contrary to what you see on TV, you don't just put a tank together, fill it with water and then drop $1000's of dollars in fish into the tank. I don't care what water, live sand or bacteria is added at the time of startup. That seems to be what you see on tanked but what they don't show is the aftermath and casualties of their practices. Also, their customer base can afford the casualties and are willing to pay for it but they are not true hobbyists. Instead they look at a tank and see it as though it's something like a picture which you would hang on a wall instead of a living eco system designed to support a specific form of life for many years to come.

Sadly, when you watch that show, what you are not told is that most of the sharks they put into those tanks will outgrow the tank within a year or 2 at most. A properly fed captive black tip for example can grow 2 to 3' in one year. Then what do you do with it?? There isn't a person around who can readily accommodate a 4-5' black tip which needs at least 5x it's own length in each direction. Even public aquariums won't touch the fish due to regulations. A 3' black tip should have a 15' long run in a straight line. If it doesn't it will stress itself, crash into the glass relentlessly and go down hill in a real hurry only to perish in a miserable death. Most of the time when I see captive black tips, I always see them swimming with their tail below their head which is a real bad sign of an unhealthy fish. People think they are neat but don't take into account tank size needs, costs, growth and what you would do with it when it outgrows your tank which with a black tip or lemon shark is much faster than you think! Like I said, they grow at a rate of up to 2-3' a year and a typical pup is around 20-24" if you can find one that small.

I know you didn't ask for that info but given that I looked up some of your post's after your PM, I figured I would put it out there.

I suspect based on your line of questioning that you are new to this hobby. Forget money, think about the life in these tanks and the attrition and casualties that us hobbyist have on fish that are collected from the oceans. Consider that 90% or more of the fish that are collected for the hobby are dead within a month or 2 from collection. 50% don't even survive long enough to make it from collection to the hobbyist and die someplace between the collection site and the retailer. 90% of the fish that are sold in stores are dead within months as well. If you really love salt water species and view them as more than just an ornament, start small and become familiar with what it takes to keep fish alive first. Then consider what ever your next step/tank will be. Don't go blow tens of thousands or a hundred thousand dollars on something that takes years to master without some real experience first. Otherwise, I can assure from experience, it will end it disaster.

Thanks for the long anwser, lol, I actually did get my info form tanked, I thought it was true. I like racetrack not just for sharks, I like the shape overall, why, are they mostly used for sharks.BTW, are you sure they grow 2-3 feet a year. I heard from living color custom aquariums they grown 1-2 feet in the first 2 years, then begin growing 2 inches a year.

Shark123
03/24/2013, 05:04 PM
No that is not true, please, any question you have google it first and then ask for a clarification if you still don't understand. If you know such a little amount about saltwater aquariums you should not be starting a 500+ gallon tank.

Why not start with a 40 or 50 gallon.

Think about the lives of the fish. Don't use them as test dummies. Learn before you do anything!!!

Sorry, I thought it was true, my LFS told me and I trusted them.

Shark123
03/24/2013, 05:06 PM
1 question: If I researched saltwater aquariums deeply 2-3 hours a day for atleast a year, will I maybe be able to do a 500-2000 gallon? What experience do you need for saltwater aquarium, eg. Water changes, I can do them. Acclimation, can do it. Can you give me of an example when experience comes handy? Thanks.

eastfernstreet
03/24/2013, 05:10 PM
T5's have served me well so far. (Save your money for LED's as they are the future.)

P.S. I'm a newbie, so what do I know?

eastfernstreet
03/24/2013, 05:11 PM
Wait, join date of March 2013 and 66 posts? Trolling?

Snook65
03/24/2013, 05:17 PM
Wait, join date of March 2013 and 66 posts? Trolling?

What trolling? No way! Shark123, have you considered a cold water tank with a great white cruising thru it?

Shark123
03/24/2013, 05:23 PM
How am I trolling? I just ask lots of questions. Lol.

Charfish
03/24/2013, 05:29 PM
1 question: If I researched saltwater aquariums deeply 2-3 hours a day for atleast a year, will I maybe be able to do a 500-2000 gallon? What experience do you need for saltwater aquarium, eg. Water changes, I can do them. Acclimation, can do it. Can you give me of an example when experience comes handy? Thanks.

so, practice test...how much ASW are you gonna make monthly for a 500g tank? Do you know anything about acclimation besides floating a bag? Do you know what to do if a heater sticks and overheats your water? What would you do first in a power outage? How big is your generator? Do you know how to raise and lower pH? Lastly, are you over 12 years of age?

slief
03/24/2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the long anwser, lol, I actually did get my info form tanked, I thought it was true. I like racetrack not just for sharks, I like the shape overall, why, are they mostly used for sharks.BTW, are you sure they grow 2-3 feet a year. I heard from living color custom aquariums they grown 1-2 feet in the first 2 years, then begin growing 2 inches a year.
Don't believe everything you see on TV or hear from an aquarium shop or tank manufacturer.

Am I sure they grow that fast??? Yes, I used to import Black Tip Reef Sharks, Lemon Sharks and White Tip Reef Sharks among other things which I resold to public aquarium displays such as large hotels. Black tips need to eat daily if not multiple times a day and like to gorge themselves. They grow very fast and can grow 2+ feet in one year. It depends on the fish, habitat size, feeding and conditions. Sure, some will grow less, but that is not always or even typically the case.

The reason for the racetrack tanks is because of the way these types of sharks swim their tendency to smack into corners. Unlike other reef sharks, the black tip is as nimble in tight spaces. The round corners help prevent the shark from hurting it self when it has to turn every few seconds to swim continuously around the tank. If the tank doesn't have bowed corners, it will bang itself into the corners resulting in sores on it's nose. Even with bowed corners, there is still guarantee against that. Once they start getting beaten up, they tend to decline fast resulting in their death due to infection and stress. My preferred holding system for black tips and lemon sharks was a very large 12' across kitty pool. Speaking of lemon sharks, don't get those into your head either. They are even worse and have inherant health issues in captivity!

Snook65
03/24/2013, 05:30 PM
so, practice test...how much ASW are you gonna make monthly for a 500g tank? Do you know anything about acclimation besides floating a bag? Do you know what to do if a heater sticks and overheats your water? What would you do first in a power outage? How big is your generator? Do you know how to raise and lower pH? Lastly, are you over 12 years of age?

:lmao:

Shark123
03/24/2013, 05:34 PM

What's ASW? Lol, I guess you do need experience...

Shark123
03/24/2013, 05:35 PM

And yes I am over 12 years of age. How rude can people get?

billsreef
03/24/2013, 05:38 PM
Can you give me of an example when experience comes handy? Thanks.

It would be considerably shorter to give a list of when experience doesn't come in handy. Simply put, experience comes in handy for every step of the way. Smaller tanks are more forgiving of the mistakes one makes on the path to gaining experience. Better off starting small and gaining some experience. For example, the questions your asking show a total lack of experience...they are too vague in most cases to have an actual answer.

Charfish
03/24/2013, 05:43 PM

12 years old is the minimum for importing fish from international locations... since most fish are wild caught in faraway places, just making sure your of age or all this is moot...

Snook65
03/24/2013, 05:43 PM

I agree with you. I think Slief owes you an apology, and what type of name is Slief anyway?

Shark123
03/24/2013, 05:46 PM
I agree with you. I think Slief owes you an apology, and what type of name is Slief anyway?

Lol, it was charfish, but he wasn't trying to be rude, he said it was to make sure I was "old enough" to import fish.

slief
03/24/2013, 05:54 PM

Excuse me?? *** do I owe an apology for? Maybe you should go back and re-read this thread and my response to figure out who owes who an apology there Snook! Hello pot this is the kettle!

And what's it to you regarding what type of name Slief is?? Perhaps it's my first initial and my last name. Imagine that! What the hell is a Snook65? :headwally: I certainly don't need some special name to contribute on this forum and trust me, I have contributed plenty over the years. It seems maybe YOU could learn a thing or two from me!

Snook, I hate to say this but you my friend either have some serious growing up to do or need a good prescription for your silly knee jerk reactions!

Next time read and read twice before you respond like that!

Rant off!

billsreef
03/24/2013, 05:56 PM
[flamealert]...