PDA

View Full Version : Glass, Starphire, or Acrylic.

Shark123
03/24/2013, 01:45 PM
Which one is your favourite and why? Which one is most clear? If you have the percentage that would be great. Thanks.

Fishmommy
03/24/2013, 01:46 PM
I scratched the hell out of my acrylic.....never again unless it is a really big tank.

Sent from my gadget using Trippytalk HD

Shark123
03/24/2013, 01:47 PM
I scratched the hell out of my acrylic.....never again unless it is a really big tank.

Why do big tanks need to be acrylic? Do you think if someone took pristine care of their acrylic tank, could it be scratch free?

Shark123
03/24/2013, 01:50 PM
A big let down for acrylic is that some "sharp" fish will bite, or in the case of lion fish and urchins, swim by the tank and scratch the inside. To buff the inside of a tank you'd need to empty the whole thing...

cugly
03/24/2013, 03:31 PM
Starphire. ..best view so clear...it scratches easy but nottas bad as acrylic..im glad I got it.

GroktheCube
03/24/2013, 04:18 PM
I've never had a starphire tank, but if I were to have one custom built, at least the front panel would be.

I'd never use acrylic for a marine DT unless I had no choice. It is more expensive than glass and scratches very easily. I think it's supposed to be slightly more "clear" than starphire, but not so clear that the naked eye could see the difference in a reasonably sized tank.

flamron
03/24/2013, 05:02 PM
I have had all.

Started glass - it's ok.
Went to acrylic - found a deal on a nice tank. Hate it.
Currently have a starphire tank in the garage than I am working on swapping out.
I also have an 8g starphire cadlights. This tank is so clear when it's clean. (I've been too busy lately, and it has gone down a bit - but the hair algae is easy to see!)

Shark123
03/24/2013, 05:08 PM
I have had all.

Started glass - it's ok.
Went to acrylic - found a deal on a nice tank. Hate it.
Currently have a starphire tank in the garage than I am working on swapping out.
I also have an 8g starphire cadlights. This tank is so clear when it's clean. (I've been too busy lately, and it has gone down a bit - but the hair algae is easy to see!)

So, which one do you like? Lol!

Shark123
03/24/2013, 05:09 PM
Which one is more clear, Starphire, or Acrylic. Is there a significant difference that is distinguishable just by looking at it?

elFloyd
03/24/2013, 05:11 PM
My choice wasn't an option.
- Acrylic is lighter in weight, no problem with drilling, stronger than glass, clearer than glass. It scratches easily, and scratches can be buffed out. Best used with larger tanks (over 180 gallons) where strength is important and in earthquake areas. More expensive for smaller tanks... Cheaper for larger tanks.
- Glass (and starphire), heavy, use caution when drilling (tempered glass can't be drilled), harder to scratch and scratches are very difficult to repair. less expensive for small tanks but more expensive for larger tanks
- Hybred (my choice). Glass (starphire optional) front and sides, acrylic back, PVC bottom. Incorporates the best features of glass & acrylic.

GrimReefer555
03/24/2013, 05:16 PM
My starphire tank is so clear, when its clean, it looks like there's nothing between you and the inside of the DT! Acrylic scratches too easily, and is clear, but not as clear as the starphire.

karsseboom
03/24/2013, 05:24 PM
My starphire tank is so clear, when its clean, it looks like there's nothing between you and the inside of the DT! Acrylic scratches too easily, and is clear, but not as clear as the starphire.

Acrylic is more clear then starphire glass. Acrylic is 98% visible and starphire is something like 96%. Acrylic will always be more visible.

borderreef
03/24/2013, 05:39 PM
Never had it, but I'd go with starphire viewing panels, and glass non-viewing.

Shark123
03/24/2013, 06:04 PM
I prefer starphire over acrylic. You may lose just 2% clarity, but gain nearly 100% scratch-ressistance.

biecacka
03/24/2013, 06:35 PM
Glass can scratch too and when it does its all bad.
Acrylic does scratch and can be buffed out and contrary to your statement can be done while tank IS running

I just ordered an acrylic tank and I can't wait!!
Corey

chriscobb
03/24/2013, 06:47 PM
Agree....Acrylic can be buffed while the tank is running.....

Fishmommy
03/24/2013, 06:48 PM
Yep. Doing my 180 as we speak, full of water.

Shark123
03/24/2013, 06:50 PM
But... Can you buff the INSIDE of the tank when it's scratched by the fish?

Fishmommy
03/24/2013, 06:50 PM
Of course.

Shark123
03/24/2013, 06:55 PM
Of course.

Really?

reef2
03/24/2013, 07:22 PM
I had a 8' 240 with sapphire glass and it only got a few minor scratches in it and I cleaned it all the time with a razor blade. I've had regular glass also and it isn't even as close to the clarity of the saphire. only reason I wouldn't go acrylic is I let my glass get dirty when I'm busy and need to scrape it to get it clean. With acrylic it would be scratched to heck.