PDA

View Full Version : HDPE Barrel for Water Storage

greene.phillip
03/24/2013, 03:45 PM
So I have obtained a 30 gallon barrell for storing my RODI water. The barrel used to have soap of some sort in it. I have rinsed it repeatedly and the water has 0 suds or sheen to it but the barrell still smells like soap. What else should I do to it to make sure its completely clean and safe to store my water? Thanks!

Zypharus
03/24/2013, 03:51 PM
How about a vinegar and water soak/scrub? That seems to do the trick for alot of things. Afterwards you could let a little RODI sit inside overnight and test with a TDS meter to see if anything leeches out.

Dozer1one
03/24/2013, 08:47 PM
Dude ace hardware has 32 gal trash cans with lids for 10 bucks, I wouldnt trust any thing that used to hae soap in it

greene.phillip
03/24/2013, 10:27 PM
How about a vinegar and water soak/scrub? That seems to do the trick for alot of things. Afterwards you could let a little RODI sit inside overnight and test with a TDS meter to see if anything leeches out.

Thanks for the useful suggestions, I'll give that a shot.

Dude ace hardware has 32 gal trash cans with lids for 10 bucks, I wouldnt trust any thing that used to hae soap in it

I believe you're a little wrong on your pricing. The brute 32 gallon cans (or any other can that can actually hold its shape while holding 30 gallons of water) I have purchased are more in the 30 range. Trouble is they don't fit where I need them to fit. I'm not trying to be cheap. Thanks for trying though.

Dozer1one
03/25/2013, 09:23 AM
Sorry didn't mean that to sound the way that it did ace does sell 32 gallon trash cans for 10.00 it's their own brand they're not brute trash cans but they work well I have 4 of them for my water changes they come in red or black with lids your Container might work just fine with the vinegar method as vinegar neutralize is most things however if the inside of the container is not very smooth or has any scratches in it whatsoever it could hold bacteria that would leach into your water however if a trash can that size doesn't fit your needs then it is neither here nor there