PDA

View Full Version : Worth using?

Trouty27
03/24/2013, 04:53 PM
Im new to the hobby and friend gave me his old 46gal bow front tank. I want to set up a saltwater tank and over time turn it into a reef tank. My question is it worth buying equipment for this tank or should I just get a tank with a built in overflow? The glass is tempered so Im unable to drill it.

Zypharus
03/24/2013, 05:06 PM
If it holds water, you can use it for a tank. The worth of making it as you desire will depend on your likes/dislikes about the differences of running an undrilled tank. Many people run undrilled tanks, it just takes a little different equipment set. I'd suggest reading some setup information - you're definitely in the right place for that!

Oh and Welcome to RC!

bugs713
03/24/2013, 05:06 PM
Welcome to RC!
CPR makes some good overflows for non drilled tanks, but you may be able to drill the back glass and still have a good overflow without having to use the HOB overflow.

Chaotic Reefer4u
03/24/2013, 05:10 PM
Trouty,
It all depends if you have the sufficient funding for a reef ready tank compared to what you already have? It's your choice, although if done properly id say they'd both look nice!
Hope this helps. . .:wave:

eastfernstreet
03/24/2013, 05:20 PM
Speaking as a noob, I'd have gone larger than the 90gal I have if I could have. Don't let the small amount of money that a free tank will save trick you into entering this hobby unless you are willing to invest serious money. Might as well get a large tank (120+) and save the 46 for a QT or a species tank.

Trouty27
03/24/2013, 05:31 PM
Its not a money thing cuz I know, well atleast I think i do, the money pit Im about to open. Its more of a space thing at this point.

borderreef
03/24/2013, 05:35 PM
You could go with an HOB skimmer and an HOB fuge, or as was stated before, go with a CPR overflow and put the sump under the tank for your skimmer and/or fuge. (Almost) anything for free is worth using.

Mikie_P
03/25/2013, 09:35 AM
I am new to reefing too, I have had my tank since christmas, I haven't drilled it either and its doing really well. Bought my first coral frags and a few new fish over the weekend and they are doing great.

I didn't go down the sump route mainly because I was worried about it flooding and also because they are ridiculously expensive to buy ready made and also because im useless at diy (my dad will vouch for that!).... I have a 72gal (330L in English) and currently using an external filter, HOB skimmer and added LED's to the existing hood to boost the T5 lights that came with it. There really is lots of alternatives to the traditional marine setups these days.

fishgate
03/25/2013, 10:31 AM
I think just the bottom of that tank and the bow part are tempered. I have a 46g bow and plan on drilling the back. I got the glass-holes kit for it.

Trouty27
03/25/2013, 09:16 PM
There is a sticker on the bottom panel that says "tempered Glass" so I figured the whole thing was. Thanks for the info

carmexx
03/25/2013, 10:01 PM
I have a 46 gal bowfront here. It suits it's place in my living room perfectly and I couldn't be happy. One suggestion....if you don't drill it stay away from CPR overflows (IMO). I just switched over to lifereef and the U-tube type is most trustworthy. I had a CPR for years and found i had to clean the air hole for the aqua lifter often as it got clogged with debris or even coraline build up and definately puts a strain on the aqualifter pump...i've had to replace it more than once. Just my opinion.