PDA

View Full Version : Too many emerald green crabs?

Recliner
03/24/2013, 05:13 PM
I currently have 6 emerald crabs in my 150 gallon tank (unless some have died) I'm breaking down my 30 gal tank that has 2 in it. Should I sell them off or just toss them in my 150?
I like seeing them in the tank so I'd like more in there. Is there a potential downside to having 8 in my 150?

borderreef
03/24/2013, 05:49 PM
Emerald crabs, like most crabs and shrimp, are opportunistic feeders. I've never had one eat bubble algae like some say, but they will eat coraline. When you see them picking at your rocks, that's what they are eating. If a fish dies and is in the rockwork, they'll get rid of it for you in no time. But, they'll also go after anything smaller and slower then they are. Snails, crabs (blue leg and scarlet), stafish, fish. Zoas, hammers, need I go on? Personally, I'd only have one or two in tank, and the rest in sump. I threw 2 of my three from my 135 into the sump, along with my coral banded shrimp. They are all evil, especially if you, like me, want to get a more diverse population of smaller, slower fish. Remember, just my experience and opinion.