PDA

View Full Version : Drilled overflow is making a lot noise

Carey1465
03/24/2013, 08:41 PM
So I finally transferred everything from my 110 to my 175 bowfront today. So far everything is going great.

The question I have is this tank has 2 overflow boxes in the corners and it has the "U" shaped drain pipe to help silence the gargling sounds. Well the one side is great but the other side is going up and down about 1-1.5" and then it makes a loud gargling sound. Nothing is overflowing but this stinkin noise is driving my wife nuts. Any suggestion??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carey1465
03/24/2013, 08:43 PM
I just read another post, it's the durso drain pipe that's gargling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dozer1one
03/25/2013, 04:39 AM
It probably has air trapped in it, do you have holes drilled in your stand pipes if you do there's differen things you can try, insert air valve that's used for quarter inch tubing. Or start making the hole larger with larger bits, it may be to large already and you have to replace the cap and start with a smaller. Hole

nynick
03/25/2013, 06:17 AM
As long as you have 2 overflow pipes you could make it a Herbie type overflow. There is a HUGE thread about it here on RC. Basically you only use 1 and set a valve on it to dial it down to a complete siphon which is totally quiet. The second pipe will have to be higher to not not draw water at all and is used only as an emergency since a complete siphon without one is a guaranteed flood.

I am sure I missed a lot in that discription but there are 100++ pages of stuff in that thread. It is called ultra ...silent/quiet...or something...overflow and is started by Herbie here on RC.

GroktheCube
03/25/2013, 09:20 AM
I would also recommend switching to a herbie. Dead silent, no bubbles dumped into the sump, and safe since you'll be using backup emergency drains too.

Unless you're using very big pipes, durso pipes have a difficult time moving a lot of water without making a lot of noise. The reason it's making that noise is because the amount of water trying to drain is overwhelming what the pipe can flow as an air-assisted drain (Water only running along the walls of the pipe), and starts to run as a siphon. A siphon will flow far more than an air assisted drain, so it will rapidly drain the "extra" water, and then break siphon.

fishgate
03/25/2013, 11:15 AM
I had the same issue and it was basically not getting enough air. Make your air vent larger. I used tubing so I could back it off with a valve if needed.