PDA

View Full Version : battery powered vacuum for sump debris

Danny_B
03/24/2013, 10:04 PM
Hey, was curious if anyone had used the ehiem battery vacuum or the toms version. I only have a 10 gallon sump, and I really don't like using filter socks. I was wandering the battery vacuum might be a great quick way to do it. I use a mj 1200, but it plugs up to easy, a shop vac would remove way to much water.

fishgate
03/25/2013, 06:00 AM
I got the Eheim vacuum one. Total and complete useless POS. I brought it back the next day. Never have I seen a more useless product. I was actually very surprised that Eheim would even allow their name on it.

Dino
03/25/2013, 06:33 AM
I never had the Eheim one, I had one like this way back in my early fish keeping days.

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Multi-Vac-Battery-Powered-Vacuum/dp/B0002AQHNM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1364214575&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+aquarium+vacuum

It wasn't great either. :D

You'd probably be ahead just to buy something like a maxijet along with a little bit of hose. Put the hose on the outlet, leave the little intake strainer off, and plug it in and you have yourself a little vacuum as long as your sump doesn't have a sand bed in it.

Edit: Heh, I guess I should double read posts before replying. I see you mentioned the maxijet method already :D.

mr_bigl
03/25/2013, 06:46 PM
I got the Eheim vacuum one. Total and complete useless POS. I brought it back the next day. Never have I seen a more useless product. I was actually very surprised that Eheim would even allow their name on it.

+1 pos

Sent from Da Bolt!

moondoggy4
03/25/2013, 07:56 PM
I put my Next Reef Shorty reactor on the side of my sump with a maxi jet pump and then put another pump in the sump to keep things suspended and it sucks up the junk really good.

AT_Hiker
03/25/2013, 08:06 PM
I've been using one for a couple of months now and have had no problems with it. I use it to clean the detris out of my bare-bottom sump. Works like I think it should, and I don't know of any other electric vacuum like this.

I would buy it again.

Danny_B
03/30/2013, 09:47 AM
So, why was it so worthless? Did it not have enough power the vacuum gravel? I'm just looking to remove detritus in a bare bottom sump, I figured it would have to be ok for that?

reeftivo
03/30/2013, 10:04 AM
It works. You just have to remove the extension at the end that has the slots in it.
When I first tried it with the extension it didn't have enough pull off the bottom because the extension is design for the substrate. Without the extension the pump won't work as hard because it won't have to pull as far.

A.G
03/30/2013, 12:33 PM
What about this :

http://www.algaemower.com/