PDA

View Full Version : RO Unit trouble shooting

WmTasker
03/24/2013, 10:27 PM
Can you swing by my thread and please help with some suggestions. Also let me know what products you might have to repair my unit?

Thanks
Billy

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21319713#post21319713

Thefilterguys
03/25/2013, 03:37 PM
By looking at your picture it looks like you may have one of the oddball membrane housing so center fitting means nothing because they are both out on the edge.

Switch the tubes around on the two fitting side of the membrane housing and that should resolve the problem your having.

The only way that won't help is if, as I said an oddball housing.

The metal fitting in the elbow fitting is a check valve need to make the 4 sided auto shutoff valve work along with a float valve. If goes into the product water line from the membrane housing.

Jim

WmTasker
03/25/2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. It is an odd housing. I had to open it up and look inside to make sure I had the tubes in the right place. The Clean water is coming from the center of the membrane and the waste is from around the edges. I put the check valve back in but it still didn't stop the flow. It only made a chatter noise while the filter was running. Thanks for the input. I might just take it all apart and put it back together again to see how it works out.

Thefilterguys
03/25/2013, 11:22 PM
Did you change the two membrane tubes around also?

Jim

WmTasker
03/26/2013, 07:59 AM
Yes I tried to change them. The clean water came out faster than before.

Thefilterguys
03/26/2013, 09:22 AM
For a normal membrane housing the original picture you posted has the restrictor on the wrong line and the product water on the waste fitting. By switching the two tubes at the fitting connections that should have corrected the issue.

With an oddball membrane housing that may not be true as they may be reversed I have only seen one other and we replaced the housing and the issue was resolved.

Send me a picture of how you replumbed it now.

Jim

WmTasker
03/31/2013, 07:36 PM
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz336/wmtasker1016/JBJ%2028g%20Nanocube/8D7DD515-6341-4443-B05F-FBD8C1C11A90-1391-000000A687B9CFCC.jpg

I still can't get the shut off to work. I have a spare float switch and check valve from a friend to experiment with things. The pic shows the product line coming from the left bottom JG fitting (check valve) to the ASOV and then to the float valve. The top fitting goes to the right and to the flow resistor. The line coming from the far left canister is going into the "IN" side of the top of the ASOV and then "OUT" to the input of the membrane. Pressure is 40. I replaced the Membrane with a new DOW 75gpd.

When I trigger the float switch the pressure will drop from 40 to 35 but the water keeps coming from the waste side. I just don't understand why it isn't turning off.

Thefilterguys
03/31/2013, 11:17 PM
Your pressure isn't high enough for the auto shotoff to activate you need 50 psi or higher.

Jim