PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about setting up a 55 gal tank.

tayl0124
03/25/2013, 01:10 AM
Previously I had a 29 gal tank with crushed coral base and about 30lbs of live rock. Started out with an el-cheapo skilter skimmer/filter, then upgraded to a aquaC Remora hob skimmer with the surface "pre-filter". I had semi success with that skimmer. No fancy lights, except a dual bulb setup to add an atinic bulb to the lighting system. I just had the live rock and a few fish in the tank, and an infestation of bristle worms ( reading here that they weren't as bad as I had suspected). After a while I also had a lot of hair algae. (probably from water quality, as I started to get lazy). Eventually I let everything die off and the tank water eventually evaporated, yes I turned off all the pumps and heaters. That was about 3 years ago. I am thinking about converting our freshwater 55 gal tank to salt water now. I however don't have big $$$ to spend all at once on lighting, new filters, and all the other things that are required for a fancy tank. My plan is to start with spending some money on a ro/di unit so I won't be so inclined to be lazy. Could the once live rock be used again?? I have ready about the possibility of adding this rock to the tank and some live rock and eventually it will become live again. I am hoping to use sand/live sand this time also instead of the crushed coral. So here is my plan. I will set up the tank(using ro/di water) with live sand and the "dead rock" let it cycle for a bit and introduce fish. Then when I can, add more live rock. Eventually my next step would be to get better lighting or create a sump system with a new skimmer( if necessary). Then maybe someday get some corals and such, however that will be quite a ways down the line. Does this seem logical or doable??

Another question is just about ro/di systems. If one only has a 55 gallon setup, is it necessary to have a 75gpd unit?? Would a lesser gpd unit be better?? I am thinking about getting a 30-40 gal holding tank for the water.

Thank you in advance. Hopefully my idea isn't complete crap. I could re-start my 29 instead, however I would need sand and live rock for that also.

whiteshark
03/25/2013, 04:00 AM
A smaller rate ro/di would be fine but higher rate ones are nice when you need water in a pinch.

The rock will contain a ton of phosphates that will leach into your new tank and ruin water quality fast. You can give the rock an acid bath to get around the phosphate issue, but personally I'd just get some reef saver dry rock from BRS and scrap the old stuff. Also, IMO, live sand is a ripoff. I'd just go with medium grain (not fine!) dry aragonite.

As for your plan, personally I don't like the idea of starting with only a couple things and adding as you go. I actually think this encourages the laziness more than what I would recommend which would be to get everything you need before you set up the tank. Get your sump, pumps, skimmer, reactors, refugium, ro/di, etc., then start filling your tank and cycling. Now you've got a lot of money and prep time into it. You've learned how all this equipment works and works together to maintain water quality and key parameters. You have everything dialed in so you will be providing the optimal conditions for your live stock. You don't have to buy it all at once, but just don't start the tank cycling until you have all the equipment. This way if you realize its just going to be to much money and effort you can stop and sell off the stuff you bought.

whiteshark
03/25/2013, 04:40 AM
I've reused rock in the past, I've taken it to the car was for a pressure bath. It removes the dead matter, but don't use soap.

This will not remove phosphates that are deeply embedded in the rock and will leach back into the system when you put it back in. I would not recommend putting it back in a tank without an acid bath.

tphill
03/25/2013, 07:08 AM
This will not remove phosphates that are deeply embedded in the rock and will leach back into the system when you put it back in. I would not recommend putting it back in a tank without an acid bath.

I agree with this. I reused some old rock in one of my tanks and it's taken about 6 months to finally get phosphates in check. Just use the dry rock as mentioned, like marco rocks or brs. or the acid bath on your old rock.

tayl0124
03/25/2013, 10:38 AM
It is important to note that these stages will be spaced out over a few years, not months. So my thought was to start as a FO tank and then transition it to a FOWLR tank when finances allow, and someday... maybe a reef tank, although I think it may be a little small.

tayl0124
03/25/2013, 01:11 PM