PDA

View Full Version : The Curious' New 90G

The Curious
03/25/2013, 05:11 AM
Heya guys...so I bought this set-up from a friend of the family a little over a month ago. This friend of the family called me to ask if I wanted to buy it, because he didn't have time to deal with it anymore...this should have been my first indication of the PITA that was to follow. He said it was dirty, but that he had cleaned it the weekend before. I figured the price was pretty good, it would be helping my grandfather's neighbor out, and I'd get an upgrade out of it , so I agreed to come pick it up. Lo and Behold...when I got there with my lil brother you couldn't see inside the tank there was so much hair algae, (he told me he was letting the algae cycle its way out of his system...he had been a "letting it cycle" for about half a year apparently) gotta love it. Also he told me that he had a ton of different corals...this turned out to be a bunch of Kenya tree and GSP...not exactly what I was hoping for. So I got it all home, scrubbed algae off the rocks, removed Kenya trees from the rock (I still have a 10 gallon upstairs with a good bit of Kenya tree that I'm not sure what I want to do with) , sold all of the GSP, scraped the blue film off the back of the tank, and got to planning.

Before I set-up anything I repainted the stand, spray-painted the back glass black, cleaned out buckets and buckets of sand, and designed the plumbing. I ran into a bit of a snag when I over tightened and snapped a bulkhead that I had on a 6 gallon bucket (I'm going this afternoon to get a replacement), other than that, setting this bad boy up has been smooth sailing.

Lighting has been an issue that I haven't exactly know what I was going to do about. His tank came with 2 of the 4 bulb power compact fixtures, but I really didn't want to go back to PC. However, yesterday morning a member of the altantareefclub had a post for selling an Eshine 100x3w LED fixtures, so I jumped on it. I already had a 55x3w LED fixture that I got from another member...and the combination of the 2 over my 90 gallon is going to do just great. The ballast for the blue lights on my 55x3w light has blown and will be fixed soon, thats why only half the tank is blue .

More pics and an rundown of the filtration will come once I get my couple kinks worked out, but for now here is my new pride and joy.

shonc182
03/25/2013, 10:14 PM
Already looking 1000% better. Nicely done.

MileHiReefR
03/25/2013, 10:32 PM
Looks like you got a nice little bargain going there for a 90 gallon LED tank~

The Curious
03/26/2013, 04:25 AM
I absolutely did get a good bargain. My corals are doing amazing under the new lights. Each and every coral of mine is happy as a cnidarian can be. :beer:

The Curious
03/29/2013, 05:52 AM
Here are just a couple pics of my favorite corals in the tank. Once I get a few more lil tweaks done "under the hood" I'll be posting alot more pics.