PDA

View Full Version : Aquascaping live rock. How to secure?

Recliner
03/25/2013, 06:19 AM
I have a 48"x24"x30" tall 150 gall mixed reef tank. I would guess it has about 250 pounds of live rock in a rock wall formation. I'm wanting to re-aquascape and go with 2 islands. 1 bigger towards the back and protruding in a curve slightly towards the smaller one that will be placed near the front.
The tank is viewed from 3 sides.
I would like to have some cool shelves built with some of my large flat rocks and some bridges maybe that won't be possible with just stacking. What would be the best way to secure it? Could I just use all epoxy or should I drill some of the live rock and use PVC?

rtecanoe
03/25/2013, 06:26 AM
I use a few PVC rods and drill holes in some of the live rock. Then you can stack the live rock with the rod through the middle of it and it wont fall off. This way you can unstack the rock if you want to at some point and its not cemented together. The live rock drills very easily

Recliner
03/25/2013, 06:38 AM
What size PVC did you use? Just 1 vertical PVC in the small island and 1 or 2 in the big?

rtecanoe
03/25/2013, 06:46 AM
Its either 3/8" or 1/2". I did one through each 'stack'. Stack it how you would like it, then go back and drill a hole through each piece. What i like to do is have a piece on each stack that leans or stretches out towards the other stack so that it makes an arch effect. Because of the rods, each piece does not have to be perfectly weight balanced so it lets you be more creative

Recliner
03/25/2013, 07:10 AM
How big a PVC base does each stack have? I'm guessing kind of large to make it stable if I'm going to be having pieces stretching out to one side from the stack

rtecanoe
03/25/2013, 07:20 AM
I dont use a base for the pvc. I just have the largest of the live rock pieces on the bottom, with a hole through that one that the pvc rod goes throgh, like with the others. The piece of live rock on the bottom with anchor the rest of the pieces. So I have the one big piece of live rock on the bottom with the pvc rod through it, then stack the next piece of live rock on top of it, lining up the hole I drilled through the live rock and sliding it down the rod onto the bottom piece of live rock and so on. If any of the rod does show through between the pieces, it with get covered in coraline algae and blend in a bit, or just use a small piece of live rock to hide it.

rtecanoe
03/25/2013, 07:21 AM
That is, the piece of live rock on the bottom will anchor the rest of the pieces.

Recliner
03/25/2013, 07:32 AM
Makes sense.
I think I'd use a small "T" just to make sure the PVC doesn't somehow come out.
How close to the edge of rock can you drill without risking it cracking off?

rtecanoe
03/25/2013, 09:00 AM
I'd say a good inch is fine depending on the piece, just dont put too much pressure on it when drilling, if it cracks the rock you can just glue the rock back together

rtecanoe
03/25/2013, 09:27 AM
here are a couple pictures, I just set my tank up again a couple of months ago after it being wiped out by Sandy. Hopefully the pictures will come out. I like the arch effect because it allows a lot of water flow beneath, below the rocks. you can see a piece of a rod in the picture that shows the left side of the tank, I'll cover it up with a sall piece of live rock. I give myself a good solid inch on the side of where I would drill, just take your time drilling, dont force it, let the bit do the work

jrp1588
03/25/2013, 09:57 AM
You can also use fiberglass rods. They are stronger than 1/2" PVC since they aren't hollow. You can find them at lowes or home depot by the mailboxes. They are driveway reflectors.

kissman
03/25/2013, 09:59 AM
you can use drivewat reflector rods from Lowes

rtecanoe
03/25/2013, 10:58 AM
Actually I think that is what I used, fiberglass rods, not pvc. I ordered them online, they're pretty cheap

kissman
03/25/2013, 03:57 PM
I think mine were like $2.29 each at Lowes I just cut the reflector off