PDA

View Full Version : cooking rock-new question

Charfish
03/25/2013, 08:14 AM
Hopefully somewhat different question though a search on cooking rock brings up A LOT of entries.

Building fishroom prior to 180g build, planning on buying BRS pukani rock and know concerns about phosphate leaching. Question: since I have nothing but time before I have physical tank set up can I buy 200lbs +/- rock and just soak it in RODI water for the months I have before use? Does it need to be saltwater or fresh for the soak? Surely no need for heater or circ. pump at this early stage? Will freshwater be just as effective at leaching out the phosphates? Would like to avoid acid wash if it will be unnecessary after a looong soak.

Appreciate your input!
Bill

sirreal63
03/25/2013, 08:40 AM
Tapwater only if it is very low on phosphates. Adding some Lanthanum Chloride to the soak water will help pull out the po4.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145395

Charfish
03/25/2013, 09:10 AM
I have well water and a new septic system...I want to avoid adding any chemicals that will ultimately end up in my drain...haven't tested water yet but if phosphates are low the concentration will go from high--->low (from rock into water) regardless of any other factors? Simple diffusion?

sirreal63
03/25/2013, 09:36 AM
Given enough time it will, how long that will be will depend on how much is in the rock. The LC is not a harsh chemical, it is most often used in swimming pools to bind phosphate.

Charfish
03/25/2013, 09:46 AM
Given enough time it will, how long that will be will depend on how much is in the rock. The LC is not a harsh chemical, it is most often used in swimming pools to bind phosphate.

Again assuming...dosage for a rock-soak with LC is different than the LC label instructions?

sirreal63
03/25/2013, 10:14 AM
Check out the thread I linked, it shows the dose used and the process he used.

Charfish
03/25/2013, 10:51 AM
duh...thanks, sir!