PDA

View Full Version : Marine Algaefix and Red Sea NO3:PO4-X

Thisseemsfishy
03/25/2013, 09:27 AM
Hello all!

So my tank has been on cruise control for some time now, I have been blessed. I do two 6 gallon water changes a week, dose 2-part, Carbon, and GFO. I have noticed in 3 or 4 spots that I have a small amount of hair algae growing. Not a big deal, but have never had it and want to eliminate it. I have been reading about these two products and am wondering how many use them and which one is better and/or are they about the same thing?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24344
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4098

I would like to stop using GFO and the Red Sea instructions state not to use GFO....I have seen my friend use the Algaefix with some success. Can I use them together or just stick to one?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or concerns.

dml931
03/25/2013, 09:48 AM
i have used AlgaeFix on a freshwater setup with no success. the resolving action in that setup was live plants and a ultraviolet light filter. now that tank is on cruise control ;)

i would lean toward the NO3/PO4 remover as that whats really causing the algae to grow. im sure others will also suggest to find the root cause of the elevated NO3/PO4 and reduce/remove it with water changes or reduced feedings and though thats the best approach for long term success, the fact that you're asking for our opinions on a quick fix leans me to believe you're not interested in, say, setting up a refugium or something like that.

given that, i would go with the Red Sea remover. good luck and dont spend a fortune on remover, or buy stock in Red Sea so you get some return back! ;)

Thisseemsfishy
03/25/2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually do have a 20g sump full of LR and Chaeto. I feel that 12 gallons a week on a 65g tank should suffice...that being said, I know the cause more than likely is my feedings. They're not too heavy, but apparently too much.

dml931
03/25/2013, 09:56 AM
sry, didnt see your signature details about you already having a fuge, if you add the remover, you WILL be removing the essential elements for micro-algae in your fuge to grow and do what you want it to do, remove the PO4/NO3!

might i suggest a critter to eat the algae in your DT, or a different and more efficient micro-algae in your fuge (not sure what you have growing in there, its not in your sig. ;) )

dml931
03/25/2013, 09:59 AM
i use chaeto in my fuge as well, its not the best option, but my PO4 stays around .25ppm and my NO3 around 5-15ppm in my 75g with 30L sump/fuge. i do feedings every other day, and change 20G every 2 weeks. i also have some algae but i like the look, and my critters keep it under control for the most part.

Thisseemsfishy
03/25/2013, 06:44 PM
Anyone else?

89Foxbody
03/25/2013, 06:54 PM
Carbon dosing will definitely reduce your nitrate and phosphate. The manual for the nopox goes over it thoroughly. I used it with great success in my last tank. I've never seen water so clear. You just have to keep up on the dosing and dose according to your levels to prevent bacterial die-off.