PDA

View Full Version : ato from autotopoff.com as good as any other ato?

DavidinGA
03/25/2013, 09:51 AM
I am setting up my 210gal and need to setup an ato and was told to get one from autotopoff dot com and was wondering if that would work as well as any other ato? Seems to be a lot cheaper than the name brand stuff....

I guess this is what I was told to get -
http://autotopoff.com/products/DS1/DS07.JPG
http://autotopoff.com/products/DS1/DS03.JPG
http://autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

Thanks!
:thumbsup:

JBOD77
03/25/2013, 10:17 AM
i have the same setup with the solenoid to open and close water supply to my ro unit. I love it.

DavidinGA
03/25/2013, 10:18 AM
i have the same setup with the solenoid to open and close water supply to my ro unit. I love it.

Do you have same exact same setup as what I posted or anything else?

SNAKEMANVET
03/25/2013, 10:57 AM
I have the same ato and had no problems with it,going on 4 years now.

JBOD77
03/26/2013, 11:07 AM
Do you have same exact same setup as what I posted or anything else?

I have everything you have pictured plus:
http://www.autotopoff.com/Solenoids/solenoid_c.jpg
to turn the water to the RO on an off

Sk8r
03/26/2013, 11:21 AM
I've used the original since 2004 with no problems.

Jjtaylor62083
03/26/2013, 11:43 AM
I have the same one no problems i use it to control my aqua lifter to top off from reservoir

HowieB
03/26/2013, 01:27 PM
I have their dual switch for over 2 years now. Never a problem. As a backup I have it connected to my Reefkeeper on a timer. It gets power for 1 minute every 3 hours. Enough to keep the sump full, but not enough to allow it to overflow if the dual switch ever broke or got stuck..

DavidinGA
03/26/2013, 01:34 PM
Great, I just ordered the dual switch! Thanks guys!

I have an aqualifter pump on order from amazon too.

CedzAquAddictio
03/26/2013, 01:35 PM
What's up David... I've been using the same system you've shown for about a year now. I bought it used, and still have had no problems.

Even buying another one for my 55g office tank...

Best of Luck!!!

Sk8r
03/26/2013, 02:17 PM
Having TWO of these is not a bad idea---one for your tank, one for your qt/hospital tank. If you have to medicate, an ATO is literally a lifesaver, and the lack of one in a hospital tank can cost you a fish. On some treatments if you vary even .002, you've lost it and had to start over; and a concentration of copper can kill a fish on its own.

CedzAquAddictio
03/26/2013, 02:31 PM
Having TWO of these is not a bad idea---one for your tank, one for your qt/hospital tank. If you have to medicate, an ATO is literally a lifesaver, and the lack of one in a hospital tank can cost you a fish. On some treatments if you vary even .002, you've lost it and had to start over; and a concentration of copper can kill a fish on its own.

Very good point!!!

Another heads up. You'd be surprised how quickly a 5 gallon bucket of top-off water will be used up. I'm adding one to my new top off tank (20g long) as well. Every day, I have to turn on my RO unit to top off my top off bucket, and 70% of the time, I forget to turn it off, and end up with a small flood from my 5g bucket overflowing. 20 gallons should hopefully last a week... ... Then I will just have to figure out how to automate the filling of my 20g top off tank. I've run my RODI line from my laundry room to my sump closet, but I still have to turn it on every day. LOL. It never ends. That's why I love this hobby...

DavidinGA
03/26/2013, 05:49 PM
Very good point!!!

Another heads up. You'd be surprised how quickly a 5 gallon bucket of top-off water will be used up. I'm adding one to my new top off tank (20g long) as well. Every day, I have to turn on my RO unit to top off my top off bucket, and 70% of the time, I forget to turn it off, and end up with a small flood from my 5g bucket overflowing. 20 gallons should hopefully last a week... ... Then I will just have to figure out how to automate the filling of my 20g top off tank. I've run my RODI line from my laundry room to my sump closet, but I still have to turn it on every day. LOL. It never ends. That's why I love this hobby...

I'm going to use a 54 gallon rubbermaid tube. Should last a while ;)

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Tapatalk 2

rick12
03/26/2013, 05:53 PM
What will you use as a pump to top off with?

DavidinGA
03/26/2013, 05:56 PM
What will you use as a pump to top off with?

Aqualifter. Little 3.5gph pump

mgrmax
03/26/2013, 08:38 PM
I have the same set up with an aqua lifter. Just make sure you have some type of siphon break.

DavidinGA
03/26/2013, 08:41 PM
I have the same set up with an aqua lifter. Just make sure you have some type of siphon break.

I was thinking of putting the Aqualifter down on floor level then an airline going up and over the containers on either side. That should prevent siphoning right?

PAnanoguy
03/27/2013, 08:57 AM
No the position of the Aqualifter doesnt matter. Its the tubing and water levels that matter. the output of topoff tubing in the sump needs to be above the water level on the ATO container and make sure the line to the sump is not submerged so that it doesnt back siphon.

DavidinGA
03/27/2013, 09:19 AM
No the position of the Aqualifter doesnt matter. Its the tubing and water levels that matter. the output of topoff tubing in the sump needs to be above the water level on the ATO container and make sure the line to the sump is not submerged so that it doesnt back siphon.

So wouldn't having the Aqualifter down low then then the two lines going up and over the two containers (ATO and sump) prevent a siphon?

PAnanoguy
03/28/2013, 07:09 AM
Im not sure I understand what you are asking. The physical placement of the Aqualifter pump has nothing to do with the tubings ability to create a siphon.

DavidinGA
03/28/2013, 09:51 AM
Im not sure I understand what you are asking. The physical placement of the Aqualifter pump has nothing to do with the tubings ability to create a siphon.

Well, what if the pump was set on a 10ft ledge the airline would have 10ft to travel up to the pump then down again; this would play a role in siphoning.

KafudaFish
03/28/2013, 10:15 AM
The aqualifter is only good for around 3 feet of vertical water movement.

After that it gets touchy and may not always work especially after it has been used for a period of time.

I have the single float and have used it for years with no problems.

The only complaint I have is the length of the white cord for the top off switch needs to be about a foot longer. On 3 different tanks now that additional length would have made things easier.

Neokane
03/28/2013, 11:57 PM
I use the genesis renew and storm system. Works great if you are willing to spend the money on it. The renew will do auto water changes for you at scheduled intervals and set gallon amounts. All while disabling the ato unit. When it isn't changing water it will top off if it needs to.