PDA

View Full Version : Dinoflaggelates - dangerous to fish too?

GrantH
03/25/2013, 11:04 AM
My tank is maturing nicely but have an issue with dinoflaggelates - they are not exactly coating the tank but I have to use a turkey baster most days to dislodge the bubbly slime and then manually remove them. I have read that they can poison some snails but are algae eating fish at risk too? Currently all my fish are in a QT due to an ich outbreak. Being canivores, I am pretty sure that the firefish and 6-line wrasse would be OK but eventually I would like to get a blenny and kole tang (this is the fish that succombed from ich).

Although all test results are fine (pH 8.2, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates undetectable, I intend getting a GFO reactor soon - hopefully that and reduced light periods will help eliminate the dino's when combined with the weekly water changes I am doing. I have also started using Special Blend on researching the forum.

Any advise would be appreciated.

reef1906
03/25/2013, 11:08 AM
how old is your tank ??? if it is new then dinos are something that will go away with time. just do your maintenance like your suppose to do and they will go away.

GrantH
03/25/2013, 01:38 PM
The tank was started in December of 2012 so it's just about three months old. I presume that is still quite young.

Thanks,

Grant