PDA

View Full Version : question about cleaning sump

tankmate1986
03/25/2013, 01:23 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading about why you should clean your sump. I've seen a lot of good points and also see a lot of comments on people that didn't clean theirs. I'm looking for opinions on this topic and also if I do clean this how to. I turned off all the pumps and let the water run still than I looked and I have a BIG population of pods and was wondering if theirs a way to clean it without sucking up all the pods.

risin
03/25/2013, 01:50 PM
Every tank is different as far as cleaning an nutrient export requirements. Personally, I clean out all the detritus I can find whenever I do a water change which includes cleaning the sump and losing some pods. I don't have any proof to back this up, but i'm pretty sure there are 1000+ pods hidden for every one that you can see. They are minor casualties for the greater good. If they were brave enough to be out in the open their days are probably numbered anyway.

Allmost
03/25/2013, 01:58 PM
every tank is different as risin correctly said.

for my sump, I have power heads so nothing settles BUT its full of sponges and other creatures. I do not clean clean it ... but again, its faily clean with no build up.

this will keep the detritus from settling, so they can be eaten by corals, or removed via skimmer.

tankmate1986
03/25/2013, 02:18 PM
I've been running mine for a year now and so far haven't cleaned it all parameters are reading good and I'm running a skimmer. I have a huge population of pods and what's I believe are feather dusters. They're everywhere in there. Since its been running a year without any hiccups maybe I should just leave it alone. I have noticed there's more buildup on the walls above the first chamber where the water enters that I always wipe clean than anywhere else. The middle chamber dosent seem bad. But I'm worried more about long termif I do let it go.

infamous_6969
03/25/2013, 02:18 PM
For now I clean my sump with every water change.. I have filter socks and rarely have anything on the floor of it.. you could keep a little water to reduce removing pods.. and siphon out the detritus buildup rather than remove all the water

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2