PDA

View Full Version : Persuade me to buy an mp10

phantomg23
03/25/2013, 01:46 PM
I have a 15 nano (will upgrade to a 60 cube eventually). I love the idea, but its like 240 dollars :O. persuade me

dan1789
03/25/2013, 01:50 PM
You really shouldn't need any persuasion, but buy one and you will wonder why you even questioned it, I promise. I recently bought 2 mp40s and I wouldn't think about buying anything else now.

Sander_Bos
03/25/2013, 02:45 PM
BBBBBUUUUUUUYYYYYY IT! :P
Was that enough?
Think about the thing this is the best pump on the market....

fishgate
03/25/2013, 02:48 PM
Hey phantomg23! Spend $235 on a $75 pump! Come on now... all the cool reefers are doing it!

rovster
03/25/2013, 02:53 PM
If you have the cash, its awesome. I held out for a long time. I have a 14 gallon BC, and I was running 2 Koralia nanos. I've had the MP10 for 4 months or so, and there's no comparison. Flow patern is wide, and love the randomness of the Reef Crest setting. I run mine at 5-6 lights, so about 35-40%. Plus, there is a lot less stuff in my tank now, so more room for corals, LOL! I got mine used, but sometimes I wish I had got it new.

Do you absolutely NEED one?....no. Is it incredibly nice to have one?.....yes :D

Squidmotron
03/25/2013, 02:55 PM
I am holding your entire family hostage right now. I will only release them if you buy an MP10.

phantomg23
03/25/2013, 03:25 PM
If you have the cash, its awesome. I held out for a long time. I have a 14 gallon BC, and I was running 2 Koralia nanos. I've had the MP10 for 4 months or so, and there's no comparison. Flow patern is wide, and love the randomness of the Reef Crest setting. I run mine at 5-6 lights, so about 35-40%. Plus, there is a lot less stuff in my tank now, so more room for corals, LOL! I got mine used, but sometimes I wish I had got it new.

Do you absolutely NEED one?....no. Is it incredibly nice to have one?.....yes :D

why do you wish you got one new?

phantomg23
03/25/2013, 03:26 PM
I am holding your entire family hostage right now. I will only release them if you buy an MP10.

you're very good at this persuading stuff

buffalo123
03/25/2013, 04:25 PM
Hey phantomg23! Spend $235 on a $75 pump! Come on now... all the cool reefers are doing it!

I like that.
If you can justify the price for it, go for it.

Drae
03/25/2013, 05:52 PM
Dont do it! they'll come down in price imho pretty soon. check out the wp40 thread. Theres a wp25 coming soon. MP's are great if you like a noisy tank.

GTboosted
03/25/2013, 06:03 PM
Do it if you want to look cool.

I got two Koralia 1150 gph and a Reefkeeper Controller for $190 new.

The Reefkeeper will control my temperature(cool and heat) and alert me if anything is wrong and I will put the Koralias on it for the wave maker feature for $45 less than the single mp10 powerhead.

But then again. If you got the money then go for it.

silleb
03/25/2013, 06:08 PM
But it and you won't regret it!

Windirmere
03/25/2013, 06:29 PM
It blew me away I have 1 Mp10 on my biocube 29 running at about 60-70% and my sps love it! I hated the look of the giant koralias on the inside and i try to minimize the amount of electronics in the water.

phantomg23
03/25/2013, 06:51 PM
heres where im standing on the subject, I want one, but id rather have the corals set and growing, and then upgrade equipment. this may change soon though, im never settled lol

MrReef101
03/25/2013, 06:53 PM
Dont do it! they'll come down in price imho pretty soon. check out the wp40 thread. Theres a wp25 coming soon. MP's are great if you like a noisy tank.

Noisy???? Man u crazy I have a mp10 and it is nice and quiet...honestly man the wps are to new right now it is a cheap alternative but need work I would stick with my mp n will continue to use it for years to come

turtlespd
03/25/2013, 07:52 PM
I agree the are not quiet but humm a bit. If ur tank is silent u will hear the humm in the middle of the night. This is the only pump I paid over 200 that wears down after a year. Other pumps in this range lasts for 2-4 years, tunze even longer before parts begin to fail. I only continue to use one cause they are the only company that has the motor outside the tank and since I own a small tank, space is a commodity. If I had a 50 g plus I would un tunze, old reliable.

vanbro1
03/25/2013, 08:29 PM
If it wont hurt you majorly to spend the extra cash for it them go for it. I run mp10 and mp40; probably not 100% worth the ticket price but very reliable pumps and easy to clean. My sps does love them but again I think there are cheaper options for close to the same result - however if you buy something else you cant flaunt the extra thousands you dumped in your tank :)

Drae
03/25/2013, 09:38 PM
Noisy???? Man u crazy I have a mp10 and it is nice and quiet...honestly man the wps are to new right now it is a cheap alternative but need work I would stick with my mp n will continue to use it for years to come

crazy? they're definitely NOT SILENT at all. That hum after the kids go to bed is ridiculous.Tunze are silent, the mp's are loud. Plenty of threads from unsatisfied customers. These power heads get sold often for this reason. crazy... lol literally.

Skynyrd Fish
03/26/2013, 02:29 PM
much quieter dialed down a bit. I can barely hear mine when it ramps up. you'll love it. or a tunze. If its in your bedroom I'd say buy a tunze.

phantomg23
03/26/2013, 02:40 PM
its right next to my bed, i have 2 koralias with 1 dead spot, considering adding a tunze

SawdustInTank
03/26/2013, 03:02 PM
See if you can borrow one from someone to see how it fits your application, giving it a test drive for a week or so, I would go this route first. I had an MP40 and MP10 for my 36"w x 30"d x ~17"h tank and did not like it at all. I went back to my modded MJ1200. IMO/IME I could not achieve the direction of flow needed in this "tank layout", due to rock placement, tank height, coral placement, and coral selection (all softies and LPS). If I placed the MP40 centered in the height of the tank it would draw in air from the surface once the pump was turned up beyond 50%. The slurping sounds made in the middle of the night was not cool at all.
It is my experience that the Vortech's were not a good fit for my tank. Do not get me wrong, I do like the less cluttered look of things, flow speed adjustment, etc. I still have and will be using them on future projects.
So, if you can find a local reefer to let you borrow one, then try it out first before you commit. PS - The MP10 made more noise than the MP40!
Good Luck!

coral_lagoon
03/26/2013, 03:16 PM
Just buy it you'll never look back.
I gotta MP40 for just my 65 gallon reef.You will be surprised how much dust get's blown off your liverock. No other pump (alone) that I've experienced will do that. Keeps everything clean,and the SPS happy..

Windirmere
03/26/2013, 03:29 PM
Just a thought, If the motor on the mp10 is noisy to use out side of the tank how loud would a internal PH be for the fish?

Spartanman22
03/26/2013, 04:26 PM
I have an MP10 on my 5 gallon nano and honestly any other powerhead just sucks for a nano. No other nano size pump will put out the same amount of flow and have the same programmable features as the MP10. For a bigger tank ya maybe some other brands are better but in a nano where space is extremely limited an MP10 is the best option IMO. I have mine literally 2 feet from my bed and it is dead silent.

navyfishguy
03/26/2013, 05:05 PM
to do what the mp10 does on it's own your gonna have to buy 2 bs powerheads (i.e. koralia) or 1 decent powerhead (i.e. tunze) and a controller. and let's face koralias are terrible, so the you will probably go with the tunze and a controller. so by the time you pay for a tunze powerheads and a controller you could've just paid for the mp10. it's so much less hassel and they are great pumps you will have no regrets

phantomg23
03/26/2013, 06:07 PM
my main reason for purchasing is the reason of it being a very strong/controllable pump. I dont mind the size of the koralias because i have them hidden. I may just buy a koralia controller, and a tunze to keep the dead spots moving

worm5406
03/26/2013, 06:42 PM
I agree they are the noisiest pump around.

Well that was until I put mine on the new 180 that is on concrete.

The floor that the 120 was on made it sound like a bass drum.

Sometimes the tank that we are using is reverberating and amplifying the noise.

I wish I could record the two I have on my 180 running at 80-100. QUIET!!!

And mine are not brand new and have not been rebuilt. I just center them and make sure they are quiet when doing maintenance.

TimeConsumer
03/26/2013, 06:59 PM
This reminds me of a thread I started last year titled "Convince me to buy a Vortech".

I ended up getting them. I'm happy with my decision. Could I have kept my Koralias and spent the money on something else and gotten more benefit? Maybe. But, I got them used and they hold their value. If I decide to sell them I won't lose much (if any) of my initial investment.

phxreefer
03/26/2013, 07:29 PM
If you really want one then get one. I have 4, two mp10(40 breeder) and two mp40(6' 125). On the 125 I am still running koralias to suppliment due to the tank shape. Sure i could have done close to the same with wave makers but all in all I like them. And so do the corals!! I would base my decision on if you can afford it without it causing you any financial hardship. Not on what others say about great they are. If the money could be better used elsewhere you may be disapionted.

phantomg23
03/26/2013, 09:10 PM
This reminds me of a thread I started last year titled "Convince me to buy a Vortech".

I ended up getting them. I'm happy with my decision. Could I have kept my Koralias and spent the money on something else and gotten more benefit? Maybe. But, I got them used and they hold their value. If I decide to sell them I won't lose much (if any) of my initial investment.

thats a good point, they wont lose value

smkooq
03/26/2013, 11:12 PM
funny how this hobby seems to be turning into saving money while making a return on investments, ie equipments.

most other hobbies you spend every penny on anything you possibly can, no matter how worthless.

phantomg23
03/27/2013, 10:10 AM
Well for instance, my other hobby is airsoft. Its kinda like paintball. While airsoft is a sport where things break, and gear gets dirty, reefs do nothing but grow. Also, there are only a few popular name brands in reefing. Airsoft stuff looses its value everyday as it deteriates, but corals grow and can be fragged, or pumps can be resold and cleaned to look like new