PDA

View Full Version : rockscaping with fish already in the tank

KatyMunoz
03/25/2013, 02:00 PM
I have already cycled and well established live rock my full reef tank and I want to completely redo the aquascaping. First, which epoxy should I buy from home depot? When searching their site, there are multiple
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=marine+epoxy&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All#/?style=List&c=1

didn't know the pros and cons of any? Second, do I have to worry about rapidly putting the rock back in the tank with large amounts of epoxy on it with the fish and inverts in there? I only say a "large amount" because it's going to be used to put multiple pieces of rock together, its not just a spot or two. Will any pieces flake off or anything before dry? Im afraid of stupid fish eating it..... they have eaten super glue when little pieces came off :eek2:

Finally, any other suggestions?!?!?

KatyMunoz
03/25/2013, 02:02 PM
oh I should also mention, I have absolutely no idea how to do this, so any suggestions would be awesome! I have always just "stacked" the rock up, but it ends up being very dense and not enough water flow through it, so I want more of a cave and arch type of look.

phantomg23
03/25/2013, 02:29 PM
ok definitely buy a reef safe epoxy made for reefs. i recommend getting the kind that you knead together. I like to crush the rocks into smaller pieces, a little bigger than a baseball (unless you have a really big tank) and then just start epoxying them together 1 by 1. make sure to use dry rock. i recommend brs reef saver rock, so there's no rush. i did mine outside of the tank over the course of a few hours. i made ledges, caves, and channels running through the rock. just be creative, and let the epoxy do its thing

Recliner
03/25/2013, 02:31 PM
I'm in the same boat and am planning on mostly using PVC and drilling the live rock. I'll use some epoxy but mostly rely on the single PVC in each mound of rock

thegrun
03/25/2013, 02:52 PM
Try this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/PC-Products-4-oz-PC-Plumbing-Putty-Epoxy-045596/100648874
You want any two part epoxy putty that is NSF safe for potable water. Mix the two parts together and follow directions, you only have a few minutes for molding before it starts to harden.

phantomg23
03/25/2013, 03:23 PM
get this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3962

its what i used, and its great stuff. and also made specifically for tanks

KatyMunoz
03/25/2013, 07:28 PM
ok definitely buy a reef safe epoxy made for reefs. i recommend getting the kind that you knead together. I like to crush the rocks into smaller pieces, a little bigger than a baseball (unless you have a really big tank) and then just start epoxying them together 1 by 1. make sure to use dry rock. i recommend brs reef saver rock, so there's no rush. i did mine outside of the tank over the course of a few hours. i made ledges, caves, and channels running through the rock. just be creative, and let the epoxy do its thing

these are already fully cured established rock, ive had the rock for over 2 years, its well established with all kinds of critters on it.... that was what I wanted to use, since I need to still be able to keep up with my already established bioload.

phantomg23
03/25/2013, 07:53 PM
then be quick with the epoxy lol