PDA

View Full Version : Using Seachem Prime and stability for new tank

91mini
03/25/2013, 02:08 PM
I am starting a cycle on my tank using Seachems Prime and Stability as recommended by my LFS. I was told to run everything as normal and add a little (I wrote it inthe bottle what the LFS recommended) of both once per day until the bottle is done. It was a cap or two a day. Is there anything else I need to do for my tank to cycle properly?

I am using dry rock and live sand.

MondoBongo
03/25/2013, 02:12 PM
using the prime will bind up the ammonia and nitrite that cause the cycle to happen.

i used the stability for starting my QT tank. it seemed (anecdotally) to help cut the cycle, but who knows.

most people just let the cycle occur when starting a new tank, spurred by the die off from the live rock or live sand, or even using a piece of shrimp left to decompose in the tank. it seems odd to me that they would have you dosing prime to bind the chemicals that the stuff in stability theoretically need to survive.

alexander_ktn
03/25/2013, 02:14 PM
I would definitely get at least one nice piece of live rock if you want coralline algae growth.

What you will need is tests for at least ammonia and nitrate (and optionally nitrite).
Put a piece of shrimp in the tank and test every day/few days as Bongo suggested.

91mini
03/25/2013, 03:01 PM
I have all the tests.

I have had a 14g going for 2 years. This is my first large project.

91mini
03/25/2013, 06:09 PM
Instead of the shrimp I've heard of ghost feeding with flakes. Is this a viable option?

What do others think? No prime and only Stability as Bongo suggests?

kissman
03/25/2013, 06:32 PM
no prime, Stability to add bacteria and I would put a piece of shrimp in a media bag for easy removal