PDA

View Full Version : Curing rock

hunggi74
03/25/2013, 02:27 PM
Hello everyone. Can I cure live rock that I've bought from an established tank along with dry base rock purchased from an LFS or should the two not be mixed. I have lots if time (3-4 weeks) to cure the rock as I'm collecting equipment. Thanks!

sporto0
03/25/2013, 05:48 PM
Live rock from an established tank does NOT need curing as long as it's kept in saltwater & dry rock has no die off, thus no curing necessary, you can soak the dry rock to remove any phosphates but that's not "curing". Do you understand what it means to cure rock?

silleb
03/25/2013, 05:57 PM
It's actually a good idea, it helps seed the dry rock.

jon99
03/25/2013, 09:14 PM
& dry rock has no die off, thus no curing necessary,

Not necessarily true. Dry rock can have quite a bit of die off, just ask anyone who bought pukani dry rock. I got 50 pounds of the stuff and 10 pounds of it was dry sponges, clams, seaweed... you name it. I cycled it in a container and was very glad I did. Nitrates and phosphates went through the roof and stayed there for months despite multiple water changes.

Any way, to answer the question I don't see anything wrong with mixing the two. Rock from and established tank can experience some die off and cycle depending on how it's removed and transported between tanks. And as mentioned above mixing the two will help seed the dry rock. I say go for it!

hunggi74
03/25/2013, 11:11 PM
The rock I'm getting is from a tank tear down. He says he's had the rock for about a week in a pail with saltwater. I'm kinda leary of just throwing the rock as is into my tank. I think I'll be throwing both types of rock into a bin and soaking it in saltwater with a lid on and power head and heater going. Water should be changed weekly?

newreefer92
03/26/2013, 12:16 AM
The rock I'm getting is from a tank tear down. He says he's had the rock for about a week in a pail with saltwater. I'm kinda leary of just throwing the rock as is into my tank. I think I'll be throwing both types of rock into a bin and soaking it in saltwater with a lid on and power head and heater going. Water should be changed weekly?

"in a pail with saltwater"? Does he have any flow to the rock or lids on it? If he doesnt have flow the rock will turn dark colors and black, stinking to high heaven!! Good idea to mix the too and add a power head, do not add a lid. The gas and fumes will be trapped, you are trying to make it living, give it some oxygen.

Just a opinion from someone that has cured hundreds of pounds!!!