PDA

View Full Version : help with CUC

BretCreager
03/25/2013, 02:48 PM
I am starting to research my CUC options, and there are a lot of them out there. I cant understand the sites that sell hundreds of snails and crabs for 1 CUC, but maybe I am wrong with on that thought. anyway I like the idea of starting small.

I have a 70 gallon DT with about 80lbs of rock and a 20 gallon sump with maybe 8 or 9 of those gallons being a fuge, as of now, algae is growing mainly on the live rock that I put in and on the glass, a little has started to grow on the dry rock I started with.

one of the things I have read a lot is that the worms and critters that come on the live rock are a big part of the crew, but other than 3 snails that came along and made it through the cycle I cant find any movement anywhere.

So is there somewhere out there that along with more snails, some crabs, maybe a couple stars and shirmps (although Im good with small numbers I do like diversity), that will sell the worms and other things that some luck out on arriving with there rock? Or is this not really a needed thing?

What number of what species would you recommend I start out with?

on the other hand, should I be pulling as much of this algae off myself and wait on the CUC for a little while longer?

drew2007
03/25/2013, 03:41 PM
I would get a cuc in there if your tank has cycled. I have ordered from reef cleaners a few times and I can say they are great. Always give more than ordered. You an contact them through here. They will tell you exactly what you need for your setup. They are a vendor. As for worms I don't think you can buy them. Did you have any live rock in your display?

squishifishi
03/25/2013, 04:22 PM
bristleworms are the most common on live rock. they usually don't come all the way out of the rock but try looking really closely at the rock when you feed or at night.
go to your lfs and look in the tanks. especially in the hermit crab tanks I always see lots of bristle worms. I'm sure they'd happily give you a bunch!
I really like flat crabs like emeralds in my cuc. They are nice additions.
Nassarius snails and fighting conchs are also fascinating cleaners.
turbos and ceriths and margaritas seem most effective on the algae, and hermit crabs are also a must.
nice tank, good luck!