PDA

View Full Version : Silencing an Eshopps HOB overflow

degibson84
03/25/2013, 04:14 PM
what would be the best way durso, stockman, herbie, muffler? there isn't much room inside the box but i know i will need to silence the thing. Which option is best and what parts would i need? It drains with 2 1 inch lines

zooman72
03/25/2013, 07:42 PM
Stockman or Hofer "gurglebuster" work well in these...

I personally use the Hofer configuration in mine... :)

shonc182
03/25/2013, 11:26 PM
Is it a PF1200 or something similar? If so, does it have the two little pvc 'standpipes' coming up from the two 1" drains that have the little pieces of smaller tubing attached to the insides? ...and have you tried rotating these pipes/vents. It took some doing on mine, but once I found the sweet spot - its pretty quiet.

Linkfalcon
03/25/2013, 11:50 PM
Really might have to try this

degibson84
03/26/2013, 04:31 AM
Is it a PF1200 or something similar? If so, does it have the two little pvc 'standpipes' coming up from the two 1" drains that have the little pieces of smaller tubing attached to the insides? ...and have you tried rotating these pipes/vents. It took some doing on mine, but once I found the sweet spot - its pretty quiet.

yes it is a 1200 but i figured i would have to silence it as i didn't think those things would silence it

txfatcat
03/26/2013, 04:38 AM
I recently started using maggie mufflers on some of my systems. I have had many and mostly durso setups that required constant attention. The MM dont require anything and are silly quiet and will flow lots of water. They dont make one for 1 1/2" drains so I made one almost identical for the new big system.

I am a firm believer now because they are just so simple

shonc182
03/26/2013, 09:45 PM
yes it is a 1200 but i figured i would have to silence it as i didn't think those things would silence it

I ended up having to adjust one of my drain lines to eliminate the last gurgle, but you can spin the positions of the tubes in the drain to silence the noise. Even very slight turns can have an effect. If you have the flexible drain lines, I think the angle of those can play into it. In my case, I think it was a case of both.

nynick
03/26/2013, 10:20 PM
If you still have the foam that they come with you can make a muffler out of an old water bottle. Just find a bottle of roughly the same diameter as the sponge. Cut enough of the "top" part off so that when you put it over the foam it reaches half to one inch into the water. Heat up a small screw driver hot enough to burn a small hole in the bottom of the bottle and cram a couple of inches of air tubing in there to break siphon while silencing the last bit of noise. Makes it more quiet than a durso or a maggie for a total cost of under a buck. :) Ghetto ftw!

degibson84
03/27/2013, 04:25 AM
If you still have the foam that they come with you can make a muffler out of an old water bottle. Just find a bottle of roughly the same diameter as the sponge. Cut enough of the "top" part off so that when you put it over the foam it reaches half to one inch into the water. Heat up a small screw driver hot enough to burn a small hole in the bottom of the bottle and cram a couple of inches of air tubing in there to break siphon while silencing the last bit of noise. Makes it more quiet than a durso or a maggie for a total cost of under a buck. :) Ghetto ftw! do you have a picture of this?

nynick
03/27/2013, 07:20 AM
do you have a picture of this?

sry I don't, no camera. The idea is really easy though, just an upside down, tapered "cap side" cut off, plastic bottle with a little piece of tube sticking out of what was originally the bottom. A plastic glass would work too if you can find one long enough and slim enough. The Idea is exactly the same as a maggie muffler but you are using the foam to hold it instead of attaching it to the pipe. The air hose serves no function other than to silence the siphon breaking hole so it is optional, it does make a big difference though and is the only reason it is more silent than most maggie mufflers.

The foam is nice to have too, it blocks snails from crawling in.