PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy Egg Crate for a Frag Tank?

that Fish Guy
03/25/2013, 03:22 PM
Where do you guys get Egg Crate at?

I need some for the Frag Tank that I am setting up.

jbfloor
03/25/2013, 03:26 PM
Home Depot.. Look at light diffusers.

d2mini
03/25/2013, 03:45 PM
I got the black stuff from bulk reef supply. Home depot only has the white and i didn't feel like painting it. Shipping was reasonable.

Breadman03
03/25/2013, 03:57 PM
Locally (for me) only Home Depot carries it.

that Fish Guy
03/25/2013, 04:22 PM
I got the black stuff from bulk reef supply. Home depot only has the white and i didn't feel like painting it. Shipping was reasonable.

Why do you paint it?

I thought that people just kept it white.

Is there a reason to painting it black?

aandfsoccr04
03/25/2013, 05:10 PM
nothing more than asthetics. Some think the black looks better than the white. Stricly a personal choice. Lowes and home depot have the eggcrate in the lighting section.

tphill
03/25/2013, 05:14 PM
I just bought a 2' x 4' panel at Lowes. It was on the isle right beside the lumber section.

mikecc67548
03/25/2013, 05:38 PM
Eggcrate comes in black or white. BRS sells 2x2 peices of black. They come in 2x4 pieces at home depot and such. But black is hard to find sometimes. Black just doesnt stick out as much in your rock work is the theory.

reefndude
03/25/2013, 06:00 PM
I bought mine at home depot.

uny2bld
03/26/2013, 04:46 AM
Why do you paint it?

I thought that people just kept it white.

Is there a reason to painting it black?

Yes absolutely. Eggcrate can leech toxins into the water so painting it with something like Krylon Fusion (which will turn inert when dried) will provide a barrier to stop or slow leeching. Plus, like everyone said, it looks better...

tphill
03/26/2013, 07:27 AM
Yes absolutely. Eggcrate can leech toxins into the water so painting it with something like Krylon Fusion (which will turn inert when dried) will provide a barrier to stop or slow leeching. Plus, like everyone said, it looks better...

What kind of toxins? Any way to cure it before use?
I got mine mainly for a top to keep my new (in QT for now) firefish from jumping out, but was also going to use for skimmer stand and frag rack in tank.

KafudaFish
03/26/2013, 08:32 AM

Do you have any additional information? It would be interesting to read.

Thanks.

reeftobe
03/26/2013, 08:44 AM
Only issues I see and hear is they tend t grow alage pretty bad. I just pull out and bleach them then vinegar, rinse dry and reuse.....

never had any issues other than alage

reeftobe
03/26/2013, 08:45 AM
Oh, and lowes & HD for local egg crate & BRS for black online as stated above....

White seesm to grow the algae more than the black from my experience.....

syrinx
03/26/2013, 09:11 AM
The only eggcrate could imagine being toxic, is the mettalic painted stuff. I have never heard of toxin release from white-so lets see documentation please. I know of tanks it has been in for 20 years of more.

tphill
03/26/2013, 10:26 AM
What's an easy way to go about cutting this to size. I've been trying to use side cutters, and my palms are sore.

KafudaFish
03/26/2013, 10:42 AM
Screw driver.

No really. Look at the size you wish to "cut" and move over one complete square then on the outside push down the screw driver.

If there are any single pieces left [ just push down with your thumb and they will snap off cleanly and the new edge will be flush.

It will take a minute to make the cut vs. 15 for snip snip snip.

uny2bld
03/26/2013, 11:00 AM
The only eggcrate could imagine being toxic, is the mettalic painted stuff. I have never heard of toxin release from white-so lets see documentation please. I know of tanks it has been in for 20 years of more.

documentation? No, I don't remember each and every article I have read over the years just what the message was. And yes, I have had tanks for over 20 years as well... I’m 37 and have had tanks since I was 9. Right now, I have 50 something tanks and counting. I don’t have a lot of the same problems other people do bc I follow a few guidelines like this one – if you want plastic in your tank, paint it with an inert paint like Krylon Fusion to seal anything that can cause leeching.

Take my advice or don’t – that’s your prerogative. I suggest treating anything plastic and why not? It’s one simple step that can save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Let's not get too technical here though people and just search for past posts by others if you really want documentation but I don’t see the need. I’m on almost 40 different forums so maybe I just have more exposure to see this stuff but it’s pretty much common sense imo. Proof is in the pudding. Look at all the tanks with untreated eggcrate and see the algae problems due to high phosphates. Then look at other posts made by those who do treat their eggcrate with paint and see how there is no algae…

There is documentation out there so you can search for it if you'd like but I don’t see the need since it is a pretty well known fact that all plastics have the ability to leech toxins in the water. PVC is safe imo but some people even debate that…

silverA3
03/26/2013, 11:13 AM
I have also heard the white eggcrate will release phosphates over time, but not the black.

tphill
03/26/2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the reply. Got it fit. Tank is firefish safe.

Jstdv8
03/26/2013, 11:41 AM
Where are you guys using it where you would actually see it to care what color it is?
Mine is buried in the sand.

KafudaFish
03/26/2013, 11:42 AM
documentation? No, I don't remember each and every article I have read over the years just what the message was. And yes, I have had tanks for over 20 years as well... I’m 37 and have had tanks since I was 9. Right now, I have 50 something tanks and counting. I don’t have a lot of the same problems other people do bc I follow a few guidelines like this one – if you want plastic in your tank, paint it with an inert paint like Krylon Fusion to seal anything that can cause leeching.

Take my advice or don’t – that’s your prerogative. I suggest treating anything plastic and why not? It’s one simple step that can save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Let's not get too technical here though people and just search for past posts by others if you really want documentation but I don’t see the need. I’m on almost 40 different forums so maybe I just have more exposure to see this stuff but it’s pretty much common sense imo. Proof is in the pudding. Look at all the tanks with untreated eggcrate and see the algae problems due to high phosphates. Then look at other posts made by those who do treat their eggcrate with paint and see how there is no algae…

There is documentation out there so you can search for it if you'd like but I don’t see the need since it is a pretty well known fact that all plastics have the ability to leech toxins in the water. PVC is safe imo but some people even debate that…

Why are you getting so bent out of shape?

You posted that the whites release toxins and two of us asked nicely about it and now you are acting like someone is attacking your mother.

As you said, the proof is in the pudding and I for one was simply asking for a link or additional information.

This is just like the brute container debate. Some people claim that is the source of their issues but upon review by others there is little evidence to support that.

:rolleyes:

uny2bld
03/26/2013, 11:43 AM
Where are you guys using it where you would actually see it to care what color it is?
Mine is buried in the sand.

People use eggcrate for everything (Tank tops; in the fuge; to hold media; frag racks) these are just some

uny2bld
03/26/2013, 11:46 AM
Why are you getting so bent out of shape?

You posted that the whites release toxins and two of us asked nicely about it and now you are acting like someone is attacking your mother.

As you said, the proof is in the pudding and I for one was simply asking for a link or additional information.

This is just like the brute container debate. Some people claim that is the source of their issues but upon review by others there is little evidence to support that.

:rolleyes:

Oh wow - I just re-read my post and you are right. I didn't mean it to come accross like that. I'm not like that - just at work so not really concentrating - sorry if I offended.

Jstdv8
03/26/2013, 11:47 AM
People use eggcrate for everything (Tank tops; in the fuge; to hold media; frag racks) these are just some

hadn't considered the frag rack.
Thanks!

uny2bld
03/26/2013, 11:47 AM

I know one of the big names in the industry did an article on it - I will look for it when I get off work

Reeferz412
03/26/2013, 11:48 AM
What's an easy way to go about cutting this to size. I've been trying to use side cutters, and my palms are sore.

I use my coral fragging bone cutters. they snap with no effort and dont come out jagged for example, if you snapped them with force.

trae
03/26/2013, 12:02 PM
It is not hard to believe egg crate, a plastic product used for lights will leech whatever into your tank. I have noticed that when on racks, algae seems to want to overgrow my frags and not just on one occasion. There is no need to test this theory for me. I noticed it and stopped using it for now because I was tired of cleaning it. I will try to use the krylon technique. Is there any curing involved with that?

KafudaFish
03/26/2013, 12:03 PM
Thank you for taking the time to look for the article.

:beer:

syrinx
03/26/2013, 07:55 PM
I was not offended by the response about my asking for documentation. We do not know one anothers experience level. My experience is with thousands of tanks, and 20+ years of my bills being paid by the hobby. Whatever this study is- I do expect it to be more anecdotal than scientific. But I come here to learn- and if there is a proper scientific study I am all for learning the result. Success comes from keeping an open mind. I consider things that I "know" to be opinions that must be fluid, because more is discovered all the time. But eggcrate is in thousands of healthy tanks.....

uny2bld
03/26/2013, 09:35 PM
I was not offended by the response about my asking for documentation. We do not know one anothers experience level. My experience is with thousands of tanks, and 20+ years of my bills being paid by the hobby. Whatever this study is- I do expect it to be more anecdotal than scientific. But I come here to learn- and if there is a proper scientific study I am all for learning the result. Success comes from keeping an open mind. I consider things that I "know" to be opinions that must be fluid, because more is discovered all the time. But eggcrate is in thousands of healthy tanks.....

Thank you for that. I was writing as if I were speaking casually to a friend not a stranger on the internet - lol I just listed my experience because I noticed I only had a hundred something posts on this forum so I didn't want anyone to think I was unexperienced. This hobby is supposed to be fun so if I were to offend someone, it would bother me - but you guys are great sports!

I didn't want to muck up the original authors thread here so I poste don my own here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2277701

richie6
12/20/2016, 08:47 AM
Anyone spray paint the white egg crate, instead of purchasing black?

JZinCO
12/20/2016, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the reply. Got it fit. Tank is firefish safe.

I would suggest going to a fabric/hobby store, buying the stitching mesh (the material often used for algae turf scrubbers) and ziptieing that on to the eggcrate louver.

I want to say that eggcrate louver was standard (1/2" spacing) and my firefish, which had never ever been caught jumping or swimming erratically in the tank, ended up on the carpet jumping through the eggcrate. He was my first fish..sigh.

Seriously. Eggcrate is a jumping deterrent, and has worked for others, but is not jump proof.

edit: Also if you end up cutting more, I cut eggcrate effortlessly with tin snips.

eder10986
12/20/2016, 09:05 AM
Lowe's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Guthrie
12/20/2016, 02:26 PM
I cut eggcrate with needlenose pliers. One at a time grab the web you want to remove and twist.