PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about curing BRS Pukani

mwcahill
03/25/2013, 07:34 PM
So I started curing this rock in a dark room a little over a week ago and just did my first water test and had some high phosphates which I had expected but I had 0 nitrates and around 500 calcium. I expected the phosphates to be high but I am surprised that I did not have any nitrates. Do I need to do something to jump start the process that I am missing. BTW the rock is curing with a heater and a couple of power heads but other then that I do not have anything else in the tub with the rock. If you have used this rock before please fill me in on how the process went for you.

Marty

AT_Hiker
03/25/2013, 07:54 PM
You won't see any Nitrates until you're well into the cycle. (Nitrates being the last part of a 3 part cycle). First you'll see a spike of Ammonia, followed by Nitrites, and then you'll start seeing a slow build up of Nitrates. Eventually the Ammonia and Nitrites will drop to zero, but you'll probably still have some Nitrates. At that time your cycle is complete. Left on it's own, the cycle will take about a month, maybe a month and a half. If you're not familair with the Nitrogen cycle you should probably read up on it. A bigger issue with Pukani Dry Rock is Phosphates. There are many post on Reef Central about how to handle this, so I won't repeat it here. If you're about a week into the process I'm sure it was starting to smell a little funky. :)

downbeach
03/25/2013, 08:21 PM
I didn't cure it until after I etched it in a vinegar/water solution/power washed it, to remove the remaining organic matter, and most of the PO4 that would be on the upper surface of the rock.