PDA

View Full Version : Algae, hermits or snails

BigJim
03/25/2013, 07:34 PM
I started making my own food several months ago for my 150g reef and I think I'm guilty of over feeding. I have green hair algae popping up in clumps. Phosphates are near zero and nitrates are less than 20. I cut back on the feeding and purchased dwarf cerith and nerite snails a few weeks ago. I have yet to notice a difference in the algae growth, if anything it's worse. I have tangs and a flame angel but they don't seem interested. I'm also vodka dosing.

Should I get more snails or blue/red leg hermits to help out? Who is more effective at removing algae?

Cdodge1
03/26/2013, 12:50 PM
Hmm... crabs are more like lawn mowers and snails are more like goats...in the sense that snails "clear-cut" the algae as opposed to "trimming" it.

rtecanoe
03/26/2013, 12:56 PM
what type of tangs do you have, some eat algae more than others

MrClam
03/26/2013, 01:16 PM
Even though your PO4 reads 0 it is likely higher because the algea is binding it when it grows. Try running GFO and pull out as much of the GHA as you can and your current CUC should take care of the rest. You could also try cutting down on your photoperiod. I did these three and it prevented new algea from growing and seemed to weaken the existing algea because the snails suddenly started eating it.

cloak
03/26/2013, 01:29 PM
I started making my own food several months ago for my 150g reef and I think I'm guilty of over feeding. I have green hair algae popping up in clumps. Phosphates are near zero and nitrates are less than 20. I cut back on the feeding and purchased dwarf cerith and nerite snails a few weeks ago. I have yet to notice a difference in the algae growth, if anything it's worse. I have tangs and a flame angel but they don't seem interested. I'm also vodka dosing.

Should I get more snails or blue/red leg hermits to help out? Who is more effective at removing algae?

One thing to take into consideration, is that a janitor will poop... (thus contributing to the problem) Good source water, along with good husbandry should solve the problem IMO. Just as an example, if you have a filter sock, keep it clean. (daily) Use a PH right before you do a water change to blow the detritus of the rocks and catch it.. (get the muck out)

You don't really want to disturb the natural order too quick, but ounce you get a routine going, it should be all gravy...

Good luck. :)

BigJim
03/26/2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking snails or hermits could speed up the process. I dont have a large cuc to begin with. I'll keep with my normal routine bumping up the vodka a bit. I started getting the algae when i started making my own food so I know the source.

amutti
03/26/2013, 03:16 PM
Snails

squishifishi
03/26/2013, 04:00 PM
my margarita snail eats green hair algae:)
i really like emerald crabs too, they're more active than hermits ime