PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new reef octopus nw 110

vihsyaj
03/25/2013, 09:36 PM
http://db.tt/uMsfwU6y

vihsyaj
03/25/2013, 09:39 PM
hi guys... I just bought a nw 110, I am still preparing my tank so I haven't yet connected the skimmer. But since this is my first time I thought i will give it a trial run, I first ran freshwater.... And the force or bubbles from the pump was very less... More like beer just poured in to a glass.....I added salt and the bubbles increased and gave me some little froth.... But I still feel my pump is not giving enough force out as compared to the videos I have seen of the same skimmer... Bubbles almost blast and hit the skimmer walls, however mine barely reaches the centre of the cone.... Is this how its supposed to be? Will it start blasting after breaking in?

vihsyaj
03/26/2013, 05:10 AM
?????

Percula9
03/26/2013, 12:11 PM
First you can't run a skimmer in fresh water. It has to be run in full strength salt water. It also needs a break in period.

MrClam
03/26/2013, 12:20 PM
I am a little confused by your description but if you are running it in clean saltwater it will not produce skimmate because there are no proteins in the water to skim. Also it needs a break-in period to remove any residue from manufacturing and build a slime coat before it will function correctly. As long as you checked its not damaged and the pump works just relax and wait until the tank is set up to dial it in.

sail33
03/26/2013, 01:02 PM
I think an important point may have been missed. As I understand your concern, you are expecting the foam to fill the cup. That's not where the level should be set.

First wash the skimmer to remove any chemicals from the manufacturing process. White vinegar should do the job.

Rinse , rinse rinse.

Install so that the water level outside the skimmer is to mfg limits.

Once plumbed in, turn the proper valve/tube etc to raise or lower the level of bubbles to the bottom of the collection cup.

Skimmers seem to have a mind of their own and will sometimes run the level higher or foam over without apparent reason. This will lesson as time goes on.

Once it has run for a day or so, you should see brown or at least darker bubbles forming in the neck and approaching the top of the neck and dropping into the cup.

The bubbles attract the proteins in the water and change the viscosity or "stickyness" of the water. They will be pushed up slowly into the cup as they overflow the neck.

A wet skim will put more water into the cup. You can increase this by turning that valve or tube that adjusts the water height in the neck. Too much and it will overflow. Too little and it won't make it into the cup.

How wet or dry is your choice but ALL MANUFACTURERS recommend that the neck and cup be cleaned every second or third day. This skimate is high in bacteria so you might want to wear gloves for this. Don't use soap...ever...but a good rinse and back in place.

It does take a few days or so for optimal results to appear.

If you don't yet have a good bio load, you won't get much skimate. A skimmer will only remove about 30% of the proteins. A sock filter will take out a bit more. Some macro algae like cheato will also help..So use the search feature and read all you can stand.

Good luck

vihsyaj
03/26/2013, 07:50 PM
http://db.tt/uMsfwU6y

Hi Sail.. Thanks for your reply. It was very informative.. i already have a sump refugium that i built on my own for some Cheato. Filter Socks are not available here since i am form India. Reef keeping is not that flourished here

My main worry was whether my pump was working fine or not since the force that i saw on freshwater was now convincing and i dint understand how the power that the pump throws is related to the salinity.

The blast from the pump could barely reach the center of the reaction chamber which is quite different form what i saw in the videos where the force from the pump literally crashes against the skimmer walls before moving upwards.

But as you say i assume that what i speak of are bubbles which come after the water is saline enough. Hopefully it breaks in soon.