PDA

View Full Version : Sump vs Non sump

mikem101
03/25/2013, 10:15 PM
So question for all you experianed reefers! i have a 40 breeder that i have had up for about 8-9 months. I have never ran a sump was using a HOB filter. Got rid of that and switch to a Remora pro and seems to be doing really good. I have 50Lbs of live rock in there as well. I have a spare 20 gallon sitting around and i was thinking about turning it into a sump. I was looking to hear the advantages and disadvantges to it and if its honestly even worth the time. By the way its all LPS in the tank i think that matters right lol? :lol2:

cap032
03/25/2013, 10:30 PM
A sump will give you better oxygenation, a place to hide equipment such as heaters, skimmers, thermometers , and reactors. Plus increased water volume. Plus you can use a much more efficient skimmer in the sump as opposed to an HOB. I cant think of any disadvantages. If there are, the advantages far outweigh any disadvantages. I say if youve got the 20 lying around, put it to use. Lol

aandfsoccr04
03/25/2013, 10:32 PM
a sump will give you better oxygenation, a place to hide equipment such as heaters, skimmers, thermometers , and reactors. Plus increased water volume. Plus you can use a much more efficient skimmer in the sump as opposed to an hob. I cant think of any disadvantages. If there are, the advantages far outweigh any disadvantages. I say if youve got the 20 lying around, put it to use. Lol

+1

mikem101
03/25/2013, 10:34 PM
Awesome I was trying to talk myself out of it cause building it would be a pain but I guess it is the best option, Im trying to figure out what powerhead i should use at the moment right now i have so cheap powerheads in there and they do the job but they are big a bulky!