PDA

View Full Version : T5 tube lighting

Emmanuel.dam
03/26/2013, 05:21 AM
My hood that I bought as it is a second hand tank, came with 8 t8 lights and I would like to upgrade them prior too setting it up :-) what should I do, should I have red blue and white t5 if so how many of each? And I am planning on having lps and fish, maybe even sps down the road, input is muchly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silleb
03/26/2013, 06:23 AM
I'm no expert on t5, but I believe actinic and white are what most use. One thing I do know is that t5 has best results when combined with good mirror like reflectors. That's the first thing is check before I upgrade an older t8 fixture. Remember, you'll need a different ballast to run t5.

Sugar Magnolia
03/26/2013, 08:30 AM
I'm pretty sure you're going to need a T5 conversion kit in order to run T5 lights in a T8 fixture.

reeftobe
03/26/2013, 08:40 AM
you will need atleast the new ends for t-5.

ATI bulbs are great!. Depending on color u seek....
4Blue+, purple+, 1 aquablue special & 2 coral+

Would be a good start & tweak from there. I am not a huge fan of actininc bulbs for t-5. especially when the blue + cover that spectrum. If you want to run actinic, maybe remove one blue + & purple + and then swap in 2 actininc

Emmanuel.dam
03/26/2013, 03:19 PM
Are t8 lights ok or pretty much a no go

Emmanuel.dam
03/27/2013, 12:00 AM
Will that take t5 tubes?

Dozer1one
03/27/2013, 04:34 AM
T 8 s will work for you if you go and get the conversion kits which consist of different ends to plug the t5 bulbs in 2 and a higher output ballast you would probably be better off purchasing a t5 light something like an aquatic life they come with the buildin timers you can find them used all over the place but be careful not to spend too much on them because you will probably have to replace the bulbs when you get a used 1 if you can get a T 5 light fixture for 100 dollars or so you'll be in pretty good shape and ahead of the game when I started I had a t8 as well and was going to convert it but by the time I would of to spent the money doing that I was able to get a t 5 ,6 bulb fixture and brand new bulbs for not much more money

Dozer1one
03/27/2013, 04:38 AM
There is an lfs local to me that has a secondary store and sells and trades used equipment if you're interested pm me and I will talk to my friend who works there send you the the phone number he will be able to hook you up with a good t5 fixture with new Bulbs And ship it to you

reeftobe
03/27/2013, 07:31 AM
T 8 s will work for you if you go and get the conversion kits which consist of different ends to plug the t5 bulbs in 2 and a higher output ballast you would probably be better off purchasing a t5 light something like an aquatic life they come with the buildin timers you can find them used all over the place but be careful not to spend too much on them because you will probably have to replace the bulbs when you get a used 1 if you can get a T 5 light fixture for 100 dollars or so you'll be in pretty good shape and ahead of the game when I started I had a t8 as well and was going to convert it but by the time I would of to spent the money doing that I was able to get a t 5 ,6 bulb fixture and brand new bulbs for not much more money

Holly punctuations BATMAN!:blown: Just messing!

T-8 will work, but are limited on bulb choices. T-5 are better and can have more choices for spectrums. Especially if all your using is flourecent...I'd go t-5

hellolight.com has parts also tek makes some nice retro kits.

Michigan Mike
03/27/2013, 07:44 AM
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/t5-fluorescent.html?option_brand=65 if you go retro.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/t5-fluorescent/ati.html?option_length=51
If you want the best fixture

Michigan Mike
03/27/2013, 07:46 AM
What size tank do you have, what are the dimensions? LxWxH

reeftobe
03/27/2013, 10:55 AM
Those are some sexy light fixtures!

Emmanuel.dam
03/27/2013, 03:35 PM
920mm by 610 by 610, I'm in sydney Australia though so your prices might be different too mine here, so I'd be better to buy new t5 fixtures?