PDA

View Full Version : 55gallon

Pages : [1] 2

SpartaReef
03/26/2013, 10:10 AM
OK so my tank started it's cycle last night... Pictures are in an album on my profile. Realized I have too Much salt... I think I killed whatever pods were on my live rock... Gonna add more fresh rodi water tonight when I get home. Anyone care to expound on my likely-hood of finding surviving pods? Is my live rock going to be OK?

fishgate
03/26/2013, 10:27 AM
Is it possible to find out what was the SG?

SpartaReef
03/26/2013, 10:33 AM
My hydrometer hadn't been seasoned yet. I will take measurements tonight. I realized I had counted twice the salt-mix needed for half the water I added... But not so much that adding more fresh water will be all I need to get to normal levels.... Just added mix as if I had an extra ten gallons of water, which is how much more I need to add anyway... Actually need 30+ more gallons. So will only need enough mix for 20 more gallons

Rookieofsalt
03/26/2013, 10:34 AM
What do you mean too much salt? do you have anything to test your Salinity? Since you do not have any live stock in there you are more likely to be OK. Since your tank is cycled, just do a big water change and pull your Salinity to level. Then wait for for a few days check your pars again and go from there.

SpartaReef
03/26/2013, 10:52 AM
I put about fifty gallons in my tank last night but thought I had sixty gallons. So when I measured out the reef crystals I measured out too much. Now tonight I'm adding water to my sump which will then be part of the overall system. Thus I won't add as much salt mix to the added water and it should all even out. I was mostly worked about the pods and live rock bacteria being effected by the high salinity.

I apologize I thought I was clear but realize I was not.

Thank you

SpartaReef
03/27/2013, 08:19 AM
OK need to do an early water change as the salinity still hasn't come down, on top of that my plumbing sprung a leak... *sigh on the bright side, it happened now rather than later

fishgate
03/27/2013, 12:18 PM
Are you adding fresh water or salt water to bring down the salinity? You should be adding fresh water. I'd take out 5 gallons and replace with 5 gallons of fresh and take readings after about an hour of circulating. Do this until you reach your desired level.

SpartaReef
03/27/2013, 04:26 PM
Are you adding fresh water or salt water to bring down the salinity? You should be adding fresh water. I'd take out 5 gallons and replace with 5 gallons of fresh and take readings after about an hour of circulating. Do this until you reach your desired level.

A bit of both because I thought I'd only over did it by ten gallons and was adding another thirty... However I will be swapping another five gallons of fresh.

MinnFish
03/27/2013, 07:46 PM
How are you testing salinity. Without the proper tools, you will be chasing and guessing. Pods should be kept at about 35ppt or less. I wouldn't worry about pods right now. Lots of things will keep you occupied in a few weeks. Good luck.

SpartaReef
03/27/2013, 09:46 PM
Testing with a hydrometer

whiteshark
03/27/2013, 10:29 PM
IMO those swing arm or floating/bobbing hydrometers are a crap shoot at best. I would recommend a good refractometer calibrated with calibration solution. One of the most important pieces of equipment you can own IMO.

SpartaReef
03/27/2013, 10:44 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51539

Will retest salinity in morning...

SpartaReef
03/28/2013, 05:43 AM
Salinity was at 1.025 this morning and water is clearing up... Next week I hope to add my sand bed...

SpartaReef
03/28/2013, 10:49 AM
Was re-reading some of the research I had done before starting this quest... Read that I should keep the tank in the dark during the cycle. To prevent algae buildup. How necessary is this?

dunc101
03/28/2013, 01:20 PM
Was re-reading some of the research I had done before starting this quest... Read that I should keep the tank in the dark during the cycle. To prevent algae buildup. How necessary is this?

You can if you want as it won't harm anything. About all adding light does while it is cycling is add to your electric bill imo =).
You're going to get an algae bloom once you add lights more than likely anyway for the first year or so.

SpartaReef
03/28/2013, 06:50 PM
Only light I have right now is in my sump anyway

SpartaReef
03/29/2013, 10:41 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51590

First water change, added carbon sock, heater in sump, power head in display, chaeto, coaxed an aptasia out of hiding and promptly boiled it to death... water is getting clearer.

MinnFish
03/29/2013, 11:21 PM
Why are u doing a water change? How are u going to determine when the cycle start and end? Are u adding live sand or dry later?

SpartaReef
03/30/2013, 09:15 AM
Well, I've read pros and come to water changes during the cycle, and actually yesterday was the second water change since initially the salinity was to high... After I performed the water change the aptasia poked out... But that could have been due to the addition of tuned power head too. Right now I have bb... But I plan to add sand soon. The water change was necessary for the smell.

kissman
03/30/2013, 10:19 AM
If u have aptasia i would acid wash that rock or it will take over the tank later

Sk8r
03/30/2013, 11:14 AM
I never heard of cycling a tank in the dark. And you'll get algae anyway. It's curable.

You do honestly need a refractometer. You've had enough salinity adventures. A refractometer is a no-battery, nearly indestructible instrument that will save you its purchase price when you have to deal with fish in quarantine or make saltwater for a working tank.

SpartaReef
03/30/2013, 11:52 AM
My hydrometer seems to be working fine... And boiling the shell in lemon juiced killed everything on it including the aptasia.

SpartaReef
03/30/2013, 09:04 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51613
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51612

Added sand bed

SpartaReef
03/31/2013, 07:17 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51651

Next day, looking clearer

kissman
03/31/2013, 03:36 PM
took mine about 4 days to really get clear. Once the bacteria starts to grown it will clear up fast

MinnFish
03/31/2013, 06:39 PM
Warning!! Boiling rock can be lethal (to you and your household). Have you checked your hydrometer against a calibrated refractometer? Thats would be the only way I would halfway trust a swing arm.

SpartaReef
03/31/2013, 06:46 PM
It was a seashell and yes I understand the danger of superheating a rock.... Thank you very much for your concern. :)

MinnFish
03/31/2013, 07:49 PM
Here is a good read for those who consider boiling.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2253493&highlight=boiling+rock

SpartaReef
03/31/2013, 08:13 PM
Good read... One of the first ones I read when I joined this forum. Again it was a seashell and I boiled it for five minutes. I guess I probably could had the fan on too. ;)

MinnFish
03/31/2013, 08:32 PM
Hey, I'm allergic to all shellfish. I can't boil anything in my home or go bare handed in my tank. And, I lived on the eastern shores most of my life (ate oysters, crabs, lobsters, clams, etc.) Turned 25, juice from a shrimp got in my eyes. And, I spent time in the ER. Missed days at work. Now, I'm extra careful around shellfish. Love them, but love living more.

SpartaReef
03/31/2013, 10:56 PM
That ducks. Lol auto correct... *Sucks

SpartaReef
04/01/2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51676http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51675

whiteshark
04/01/2013, 12:51 PM
That sand bed seems very deep in the middle. I'd consider tanking it down to 1 or 1.5 inches deep across the tank. I'd also remove the two branching pieces of rock as they look out of place. That's really just a personal preference thing though. Otherwise I think the scape looks pretty good.

As for boiling rock or shells or whatever that has been in saltwater for any period of time, just don't do it. The risk isn't worth it. If there are just a couple zoas on it you could kill yourself, a family member or a pet. It's just not worth it.

SpartaReef
04/01/2013, 01:27 PM
The only thing on it was the aiptasia. Thanks for your comments all

kissman
04/01/2013, 02:12 PM
I hope boiling it killed all of Aiptasia but I dought it. I have seen people try blow torch to remove them and fail, lol

SpartaReef
04/01/2013, 09:18 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51684http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51683
Made a canopy... But the plexi-glass was a 16th of an inch too small

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 03:33 PM
Did a water test. Salinity@1.026+ (so I added fresh water), before adding fresh water ammonia was@2ppm, nitrate @0. Pods were sitting around like rats in a sewers last night, feasting on a torquous colored algae. They seemed very happy. Temp was kinda high, 82! Canopy must be aiding in heat retention.... Turned down then on heater in sump.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 03:34 PM
Ordered a cleanup crew, some starfish and some cheap choral...

SushiGirl
04/03/2013, 03:47 PM
You shouldn't add a cleanup crew until your ammonia is zero.

Also, as for your hydrometer working fine, you really need to make sure. Before I had a refractometer I used 2 different hydrometers, one read 1.030 and one read 1.021. I got lucky in that it was actually 1.025 so both hydrometers were incorrectly reading.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 04:11 PM
I'm getting conflicting comments from several sources. As for now, I'm trusting what I see... I see healthy pods... Once I get lights over the tank the system should jump into hyper drive and from what I understand the cleaning crew will aid in the cycle and are hardy enough to handle the cycle.... Plus I didn't stay with all dry rock. There is mature live rock as well. I will look into getting better testers.

kissman
04/03/2013, 04:20 PM
FALSE! Don't order the CUC till Ammonia and Nitrites are zero. Don't order coral for a few months tank is not balanced yet! Don't waste your money.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 04:30 PM
I'm also getting more live rock.

kissman
04/03/2013, 04:32 PM
which will start another cycle if you add it straight to tank

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 04:56 PM
And, by the time I receive my order I can put it in my qt tank till the cycle is over

SushiGirl
04/03/2013, 05:19 PM
Excellent!!

MinnFish
04/03/2013, 05:56 PM
I would wait on a CUC and corals. And spend your money on a good quality test kit and refractometer. But, I see you like the unconventional approach to this hobby. Lol. Have you put lights in your display yet. A little advice from a old fart, build yourself a good foundation before u call the roofers.

KeepNitReel
04/03/2013, 06:05 PM
Is your QT cycled?

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 06:22 PM
Was going to get filter setup rather than using rock, etc for the qt. Read about that in a setup thread somewhere. I've got a friend whose been doing this about a year or so and his tank looks great, he has been guiding me and I've been doing a lot of research. The hobby is changing, people are finding new ways of doing things... I will learn what works for me and my system... No two tanks are the same and no one way is the only way... I also have very good instincts and my gut tells me the tank is ready.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 06:23 PM
Now to find more accurate water test... Sigh, any suggestions with links would help.

kissman
04/03/2013, 06:25 PM
Red Sea Pro, Salifert and Hanna for Alk, Hanna ULR for PO4 they are the best out there. Never tried Elos but heard good things

SushiGirl
04/03/2013, 06:40 PM
If you have 2 ppm ammonia, your tank is not ready.

KeepNitReel
04/03/2013, 06:51 PM
If you have 2 ppm ammonia, your tank is not ready.

+1

2ppm ammonia and no nitrites means the cycle just begun

Edit: only nitrate reading was given so I'm assuming that nitrite is zero also

MinnFish
04/03/2013, 06:53 PM
Ok, keep us posted on your progress. Wish you luck. Remember there are people here with some amazing experience. So, feel free to tap into the resources. They have helped me be a better keeper of the reef.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 07:36 PM
I heard salifert was inaccurate

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 07:38 PM
Ok, keep us posted on your progress. Wish you luck. Remember there are people here with some amazing experience. So, feel free to tap into the resources. They have helped me be a better keeper of the reef.

That's why I'm posting here... Just frustrated today with the varied responses I'm getting outside this forum...

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 07:44 PM
Also, the very first time I tested the water (last week) ammonia was over 2ppm, now it's right at or just below, and nitrate was also 2ppm, but is now zero... Nitrite was not tested for as it is in the middle... Assumed that once ammonia was zero and nitrate was below one I would be good. With the pods thriving and not really seeing anything of a "bloom" other than the spreading fuzz, I've been advised that the cycle could actually have been finished and restarted several times...

MinnFish
04/03/2013, 08:31 PM
Did you add live sand, recently? Have you added a ammonia source? If not, I would and then test several days later. If then you are at zero, then I would assume its cycled.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 08:34 PM
Well there in lies the problem, no thing added besides the pods and chaeto. And ammonia went down, but is still at 2ppm

MinnFish
04/03/2013, 08:49 PM
Ok, u added pods from a bag? Well, keep your eyes on the parameters. Mainly, ammonia and nitrite. I would just use this time for practicing good habits.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 08:59 PM
Pods were on live rock from before first test, but a second batch came with the chaeto (in sump)

KeepNitReel
04/03/2013, 09:01 PM
Also, the very first time I tested the water (last week) ammonia was over 2ppm, now it's right at or just below, and nitrate was also 2ppm, but is now zero... Nitrite was not tested for as it is in the middle... Assumed that once ammonia was zero and nitrate was below one I would be good. With the pods thriving and not really seeing anything of a "bloom" other than the spreading fuzz, I've been advised that the cycle could actually have been finished and restarted several times...

Once your system can process 2ppm of ammonia in 24hrs & nitrite in 24hrs, your cycled. Just because u have nitrates doesn't mean the nitrites are at zero. You need to test them!
why is no one telling u this?

whiteshark
04/03/2013, 09:02 PM

Where did you hear that? The only time I had any problems with a salifert test kit was when I used one that was 4 years past its expiration date. Even then it wasn't that far off.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 09:08 PM
Read it some where. I'll check into those test kits... What I have is the liquid color tests.... Again I've been told that, but also told other conflicting info... So, without seeing any drastic change in the tank, I don't know what to think.

whiteshark
04/03/2013, 09:15 PM
It just sounds like your cycle isn't finished. You should test for nitrites now and not nitrates. If any nitrite is present it will give you a false nitrate reading. The only way to know if nitrites are present is to test for them.

Also want to mention that thriving pods doesn't mean you're cycled. I overdosed ammo during my cycle, over 5ppm, and the pods seemed to be completely unaffected.

KeepNitReel
04/03/2013, 09:26 PM
Just thought I would share my cycling experience. I cycled my 55g using 5ppm of ace hardware ammonia. After 2weeks, the system was able to process 5ppm of ammonia in 24 hrs. Nitrites where sky high & it took 3 weeks for my nitrites to process in 24hrs. During the nitrite spike, my nitrates where 20ppm for 2 1/2 weeks, it was only the last few days that they spiked over 160ppm. Once ammonia & nitrites went to 0 in 24 hours, I did a 95% water change to get nitrates to 5ppm.
I added 4 fish to the tank from my QT the next day. cycling @ 5ppm adding 4 fish is not an issue, could've added more if I wanted.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 09:34 PM
OK, and that's what I was expecting, yet I'm finding outside this forum several individuals who say they cycled faster than that, and that as ammonia reduces to zero if nitrate is zero then nitrites should be zero... Such drastically different approaches, which all have worked (seen the tank with my own eyes) and these people have no reason to lie to me... Neither do you. So is every one right? How do we know?

whiteshark
04/03/2013, 09:35 PM
Just thought I would share my cycling experience. I cycled my 55g using 5ppm of ace hardware ammonia. After 2weeks, the system was able to process 5ppm of ammonia in 24 hrs. Nitrites where sky high & it took 3 weeks for my nitrites to process in 24hrs. During the nitrite spike, my nitrates where 20ppm for 2 1/2 weeks, it was only the last few days that they spiked over 160ppm. Once ammonia & nitrites went to 0 in 24 hours, I did a 95% water change to get nitrates to 5ppm.
I added 4 fish to the tank from my QT the next day. cycling @ 5ppm adding 4 fish is not an issue, could've added more if I wanted.

Testing nitrates while nitrites are present, especially in high concentrations, is not going to give you an accurate result. There is no reason at all to test for nitrate until both ammonia and nitrite are 0.

I did essentially the same thing as you and had a similar experience, though I didn't dose ammo that high on purpose. Ammo went from 5ppm to 0 ppm in about 30 hours. Nitrites spiked and took took over a week to come down below 5ppm.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 09:37 PM
I will error on side of caution and test test test! But I already ordered the additions to the tank, so I will find a way... If nothing else maybe my friend will house then for me temperarily.

whiteshark
04/03/2013, 09:39 PM
OK, and that's what I was expecting, yet I'm finding outside this forum several individuals who say they cycled faster than that, and that as ammonia reduces to zero if nitrate is zero then nitrites should be zero... Such drastically different approaches, which all have worked (seen the tank with my own eyes) and these people have no reason to lie to me... Neither do you. So is every one right? How do we know?

Do not even test nitrate right now. Put that test away and don't touch it again until ammonia AND nitrite are 0. I don't know who told you 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate means you're cycled but they are wrong. You HAVE to test for nitrites before bothering with the nitrate test.

SpartaReef
04/03/2013, 09:39 PM
I think once I get Lights on this thing its gonna take off

KeepNitReel
04/03/2013, 09:50 PM
Testing nitrates while nitrites are present, especially in high concentrations, is not going to give you an accurate result. There is no reason at all to test for nitrate until both ammonia and nitrite are 0.

I did essentially the same thing as you and had a similar experience, though I didn't dose ammo that high on purpose. Ammo went from 5ppm to 0 ppm in about 30 hours. Nitrites spiked and took took over a week to come down below 5ppm.

That was my point exactly! He is only testing ammonia & nitrate, he has no idea if he has or has passed the nitrite spike yet. His nitrate test could be inaccurate

KeepNitReel
04/03/2013, 10:01 PM

My cycle took that long because I didn't use any live rock or seed media & I was dosing the maximum of 5ppm ammonia.

kissman
04/04/2013, 04:53 AM
Nitrite will cause false readings in nitrate tests.

SpartaReef
04/04/2013, 05:57 AM
Thank you for clarifying about the potential false read, will pick up a test medium for nitrite. Going to go to my lfs to get better tester if he has one. My tank was seeded with live rock. Which may be why others have told me that it could be done. I will be asking today if my order can be sent next week instead to at least give me time to make arrangements for it.

KeepNitReel
04/04/2013, 07:12 AM
If you told others that you have 2ppm of ammonia after 24 hrs & they tell you your probably cycled, then they obviously don't know anything about cycling a tank.

Now that you know ammonia & nitrite must be zero within 24hrs, you are on the right path. With the live rock it shouldn't take long as mine did.

Btw: get yourself a QT as soon as your able to. If you had one, your CuC could've went in there until the tank was ready. I had a fully cycled QT with my fish in it while my DT was cycling. Cuts down the chance of introducing disease into main tank.

Good luck

SpartaReef
04/04/2013, 08:11 AM
If you told others that you have 2ppm of ammonia after 24 hrs & they tell you your probably cycled, then they obviously don't know anything about cycling a tank.

Now that you know ammonia & nitrite must be zero within 24hrs, you are on the right path. With the live rock it shouldn't take long as mine did.

Btw: get yourself a QT as soon as your able to. If you had one, your CuC could've went in there until the tank was ready. I had a fully cycled QT with my fish in it while my DT was cycling. Cuts down the chance of introducing disease into main tank.

Good luck

In their defense they told me that before I tested water last night. If I use non-natural filter, will my qt still need to cycle? My cuc isn't arriving for two weeks.

I'm not finding anything about cycling the qt when artificial filtration is used, since the qt is small I was going to go small on filtration.... There I'd a lot of misleading info out there.

kissman
04/04/2013, 08:14 AM
Have you read the thread below on how to set up a QT?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195588

SpartaReef
04/04/2013, 08:24 AM
No but I will right now

kissman
04/04/2013, 08:35 AM
That is a sticky in the "new to hobby" section everything you need to know is there about getting started. I have been in the hobby for over 10 years, i did a lot of reading in those threads since i am redoing my 55g and i learned a ton

KeepNitReel
04/04/2013, 08:46 AM
In their defense they told me that before I tested water last night. If I use non-natural filter, will my qt still need to cycle? My cuc isn't arriving for two weeks.

I'm not finding anything about cycling the qt when artificial filtration is used, since the qt is small I was going to go small on filtration.... There I'd a lot of misleading info out there.

I have read of people not cycling their QT but they make it hard on themselves by having to do constant water changes.

Here's what I did:
I bought a 10g kit from petsmart that came with a cheap hang on back filter & heater. As for cycling the QT I used Bio spira & dosed ace hardware ammonia. It says you can add fish the next day but I didn't. Bio spira cycled the QT in 4 days. After reading all the bad about using cycle aids, I found it hard to believe that the QT cycled that quick but it was. I dosed ammonia for another week & it would always come back zero within 24hrs.
Now that my QT has no livestock, I've placed the filter pad in the Display filtration so I won't have to cycle again when I need the QT.

SpartaReef
04/04/2013, 09:41 AM
I have read of people not cycling their QT but they make it hard on themselves by having to do constant water changes.

Here's what I did:
I bought a 10g kit from petsmart that came with a cheap hang on back filter & heater. As for cycling the QT I used Bio spira & dosed ace hardware ammonia. It says you can add fish the next day but I didn't. Bio spira cycled the QT in 4 days. After reading all the bad about using cycle aids, I found it hard to believe that the QT cycled that quick but it was. I dosed ammonia for another week & it would always come back zero within 24hrs.
Now that my QT has no livestock, I've placed the filter pad in the Display filtration so I won't have to cycle again when I need the QT.

Thank you, that sounds like the route I need to go... It's the time framed I have.... So anyway I will be going to my LFS in about an hour

SpartaReef
04/04/2013, 01:18 PM
OK, got a nitrite kit, all my LFS had was the drop in test tube kind... Got stuff for qt tank. Will set up that tonight. It should cycle faster than the display. Talking with my LFS, I believe that ammonia is leaching from the rocks... Add lights and the algae will east it up. Everything should be ready by the time I get my order. More later....

KeepNitReel
04/04/2013, 01:57 PM
Been waiting to see the nitrite results :D

SpartaReef
04/04/2013, 02:31 PM
I won't be able to test them till late tonight

SpartaReef
04/04/2013, 08:41 PM
Gonna run test tomorrow. Getting shelf built with new live rock... Will post photos later.

SpartaReef
04/04/2013, 10:23 PM
Added some more live rock to the tank... A few closeups of some small rocks and some shots of the new shelf I made with a large rock. Will cover up the ugly grey stuff with corals later
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51763http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51762http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51761http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51760http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51759

KeepNitReel
04/05/2013, 06:50 AM
Tank is looking good

SpartaReef
04/05/2013, 07:16 AM
Gonna get the bio spirea today, do a water change to fill my qt from the DT, test water and pray hard.

KeepNitReel
04/05/2013, 07:27 AM
Gonna get the bio spirea today, do a water change to fill my qt from the DT, test water and pray hard.

Do the nitrite test on DT before you do that. You don't want to dilute the ammonia & nitrites in the DT unless they are off the charts.

Also Bio spira is filled with nitrate & nitrite bb already.

SpartaReef
04/05/2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the tip I'll run tests before and after

SpartaReef
04/05/2013, 07:17 PM
OK, ran tests, then took water from DT for qt. After adding new salt water, temp dropped to 76, its 77 now. Before water change test results were as follows: salinity 1.025, ammonia 2, nitrite 0.25, nitrate 5.

KeepNitReel
04/05/2013, 08:09 PM
Your cycle is only in the beginning. Did u add a ammonia source the the DT to bring to 2ppm after you diluted your cycle?

SpartaReef
04/05/2013, 08:59 PM
As I said before ammonia is leaving from some of the rocks.... This was the second water change I've done with this tank... I believe that it is cycling however because of the rocks there is a constant amount of ammonia bring released and at some point it should reach a balance.

SpartaReef
04/05/2013, 09:01 PM
Added quick start to the system today also.

kissman
04/05/2013, 09:04 PM
You slowing down the cycle by doing water changes. Just leave it and let it do its thing

SpartaReef
04/05/2013, 09:07 PM
The first time I did it was because the salinity got to high, this time I did it to add water from the DT to the at.... Otherwise I will be leaving it alone

KeepNitReel
04/06/2013, 04:42 AM
You slowing down the cycle by doing water changes. Just leave it and let it do its thing

+1
Also turn your heater up to about 80-82 for the cycle only.

SpartaReef
04/06/2013, 06:03 AM
Well I had very little choice on the water changes, but I didn't know about increasing the temp. Is that verifiable?

KeepNitReel
04/06/2013, 07:25 AM
Well I had very little choice on the water changes, but I didn't know about increasing the temp. Is that verifiable?

BB produces faster in warmer temps, Google & you will find many sources. Just remember to turn the heater back down when the cycle is over.

kissman
04/06/2013, 08:00 AM
I was running my tank at 81 degrees during my cycle, adding MB7 and ammonia source is all I did. Tank cycled now going to add a small CUC for 4 weeks then I will add one fish.

SpartaReef
04/06/2013, 08:04 AM
Just checked and temp is back up to 79 anyway... Seems my heater likes it that way.... I've turned the actual heater down to 74 and the water still stay at 79-80...

KeepNitReel
04/06/2013, 08:26 AM
Just checked and temp is back up to 79 anyway... Seems my heater likes it that way.... I've turned the actual heater down to 74 and the water still stay at 79-80...

My 55g is the same. The heater never comes on because the room keeps the tank @ a steady 79.

Seems like you have some time to kill while your tank cycles. Good luck :D

SpartaReef
04/06/2013, 08:51 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51814http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51813

kissman
04/06/2013, 09:10 PM

Salifert is one of the most accurate kits on the market.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51814http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51813

What kind of lighting is that? The light diffuser can reflect the light back onto the bulbs causing them to burn out quicker. You will be better off getting clear DIY screening from Bulkreefsupply

SpartaReef
04/06/2013, 09:52 PM
Um its a temporary t12 lamp... Till I get my LED from a friend. The "egg crate" is just to support the plexi-glass splash guard over the over flow and to aid in preventing warping of the canopy (which has marine varnish on it to water proof it also).

As for salifert... I may have misread the post somewhere that said that... K, I can't find anything anywhere except the test kits at my LFS...

SpartaReef
04/06/2013, 09:53 PM
The led will hang from the loops

SpartaReef
04/06/2013, 10:00 PM
Oh I forgot post my water test this morning.

Salinity was at1.026
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 5.0

Could ammonia be leaving from the rocks and being converted? Would explain why the reading hadn't changed and why nitrite is fairly low while nitrate is staying constant at five... I can tell stuff is growing... Colors in rocks faded but are starting to come back...

SpartaReef
04/06/2013, 10:01 PM
Added some fresh water to bring salinity back down to 1.025

kissman
04/06/2013, 10:05 PM
Oh I forgot post my water test this morning.

Salinity was at1.026
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 5.0

Could ammonia be leaving from the rocks and being converted? Would explain why the reading hadn't changed and why nitrite is fairly low while nitrate is staying constant at five... I can tell stuff is growing... Colors in rocks faded but are starting to come back...

Salinity at 1.026 is fine
Ammonia is probably from dying stuff on rock. Nitrites will go up when enough bacteria has grown to consume the ammonia. At that point a second bacteria will grow to consume the nitrites and then to consume nitrates. A nitrate test kits in inaccurate if you have nitrites. Be patient the cycle can take 6-8weeks to complete. All you need to be doing is adding top off water.

SpartaReef
04/07/2013, 06:37 AM
Found a snail in the tank last night... One of a few hitchhikers from the live rock.... Some brittle stars and possibly some serpent stars in there too...

KeepNitReel
04/07/2013, 06:47 AM
Found a snail in the tank last night... One of a few hitchhikers from the live rock.... Some brittle stars and possibly some serpent stars in there too...

Your tank is overstocked!! :D

SpartaReef
04/07/2013, 06:52 AM
Uh, since you added a smily I'll take that as not serious... So how do hitchhikers survive the cycle?

KeepNitReel
04/07/2013, 07:30 AM
Uh, since you added a smily I'll take that as not serious... So how do hitchhikers survive the cycle?

Was just joking, seems like all I read on every forum is the comments "your overstocked!" or "that fish is to big for that tank!".

Not sure on the hitchhikers, some may and some may not survive. I guess it depends on how toxic it gets in there.

SpartaReef
04/07/2013, 07:39 AM
We lost count on the starfish, and the mini- feather dusters too. And I found a limpet I think

SpartaReef
04/07/2013, 08:30 AM
Got some corals on the last bit of live rock.... Sigh hoping they survive. Can I get id's. Need to know about placement for current tolerance etchttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51850http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51849http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51848http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51847http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51846http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51845http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51844http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51843

KeepNitReel
04/07/2013, 10:54 AM
You got some cool stuff on your rocks :cool:

SpartaReef
04/07/2013, 11:09 AM
Thank you

SpartaReef
04/07/2013, 12:23 PM
OK, possibly hammer coral, pulsating zinnia, clove polyp, ZOA's...

SpartaReef
04/08/2013, 01:01 PM
Water test last night revealed... Ammonia 2.0, nitrite 1.0, nitrate 40, salinity 1.026, temp 79

kissman
04/08/2013, 01:05 PM
Water test last night revealed... Ammonia 2.0, nitrite 1.0, nitrate 40, salinity 1.026, temp 79

Don't waste your time with testing nitrates till Ammonia and Nitrites are zero. YOu are just wasting tests

SpartaReef
04/08/2013, 01:14 PM
Thx I keep forgetting...

SpartaReef
04/08/2013, 01:17 PM
So far inverts are happy, corals are happy (accept the pulsing zinnia)... got flat worms from somewhere.... At least I plan on having fish that will eat them.

kissman
04/08/2013, 04:24 PM
I have made several mistakes in reef keeping but the biggest by far to date was adding Pulsing Xenia to my tank. That crap is worse than algae it will take over the tank and you can't kill it!!!!!!!!!!! I tried a dremmel tool. Any small piece left on a rock will regrow! The only way I could kill it was trade all rock to LFS and buy new, completely redo my tank.

SpartaReef
04/08/2013, 04:28 PM
Well, one of the zinnia died... The other is barely hanging on... So anyway, I'm aware of how it spreads and anticipate cutting it back

kissman
04/08/2013, 04:58 PM
you can control it! I thought the same thing, lol! I couldn't sell it fast enough to my LFS.

SpartaReef
04/08/2013, 05:11 PM
Well it would make great fertilizer for my garden...

kissman
04/08/2013, 05:15 PM
You can try and control it, might have to cut every day that's up to you. Some have had success with it staying on one rock and not touching anything. Just remember to remove the rock to trim. Mine was a nightmare. I took a rock out and grinded the entire rock down with a dremel tool the xenia was back in days

SpartaReef
04/08/2013, 05:34 PM
The remaining zinnia are currently torn by the current... I think they are dying. I added another circulation pump and the clove polyps have closed up... Wondering if I should move them now.... The Hammer coral is actually opening up more so I think he might like the increase... I know the zoas and mushrooms are happier. I'm considering moving the hammer coral also though to a spot where it can get even more flow.

kissman
04/08/2013, 05:36 PM
with you having coral in a tank with ammonia and nitrites not much is going to help them I don't think. Hope I am wrong

SushiGirl
04/08/2013, 05:51 PM
with you having coral in a tank with ammonia and nitrites not much is going to help them I don't think. Hope I am wrong

I agree. Ammonia kills. Even people aren't supposed to breath the fumes. It's no different in water.

SpartaReef
04/08/2013, 06:01 PM
Most everything else seems very happy... They came on some live rock I bought. And they'be really boosted the cycle.

kissman
04/08/2013, 06:14 PM
then keep going back to your LFS most stores sell that size as coral not hitchhikers. Usually a rock with a bunch of mushrooms on it sells as mushroom rock and can cost a pretty penny.

SushiGirl
04/08/2013, 06:32 PM
Boosted the cycle how?

SpartaReef
04/08/2013, 07:10 PM
The tests kept coming back with the same results till I added those rocks then the numbers spiked.

SpartaReef
04/08/2013, 07:12 PM
Anyone know what this is.... It's green, looks like algae but moves under its own power and has lots of red strings coming off it...http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51909
Right below the red dot

SushiGirl
04/08/2013, 08:54 PM
Live rock has beneficial bacteria already established that is helping to process the ammonia, so nitrite will spike. The trouble is, all things the ammonia is killing is spiking the ammonia, as well. You're going to be in for a long cycle on this one as long as you keep adding organisms the ammonia can kill.

SpartaReef
04/08/2013, 11:41 PM
Yeah, except the ammonia levels have not changed, which means the ammonia is being processed as fast as it is being released... And everything (with the exception of a single coral that was half dead when it arrived on the live rock anyway) is happy and multiplying in my tank... Brittle stars, snails, limpets, corals, pods... They seem very healthy... The numbers that spiked was the nitrites and nitrates which from what I keep being reminded of by the other nay Sayer following me shouldn't be tested because nitrite isn't zero yet.

Thank you to those who have given me advice, and no thank you to those who seem to just want to say that my tank is going to fail because I did not follow some strict regimen... Oh wait, that's right I'm trying to replicate a peace of the ocean, and we all know how strict and regimental the ocean is, yeah, always the same never changing.... *facepalm*

How many times have I read that no two tanks are the same?
How many times have I read about hitchhikers survived a cycle?

If you don't have anything constructive to say than stop following me. I haven't added anything to my tank without first doing research on it, and without the assurance of those in the know that it will survive. Did you even look at the pictures? Did you see that the corals are still alive? And the live rock they came on was not from LFS... It was from a biology teacher... I think he should know.

whiteshark
04/09/2013, 12:23 AM
The ocean is one of the most stable entities in the world.

People are trying to offer advice gained over years and years of first hand experience. No one wants you to fail. No one is assuming you will. All we are trying to do is offer some experiences and knowledge that has been accumulated over dozens of years. If you want to ignore it then so be it, but don't get angry about it when you were the one who asked in the first place.

kissman
04/09/2013, 05:17 AM
Actially the coral in the above pic does not look healthy at all, the tenticals should be extended, open and swaying in the flow. Not pulled in. The reason i was telling you not to worry about testing your nitrates is because when you have nitrites they can give you a false positive on nitrates the tests are similar. In fact Red Sea Pro has a test out now that reads both. Its your tests run them if you want. If you come on RC and post people are going to give you opionons based on years and years of tried and true ways. Its up to you to decide what to do. But one thing is constant, true and thats if you have ammonia and/or nitrites your cycle is not complete. Once the cycle is complete then you should add a cleanup crew to get the sand bed ready to support fish. After a few weeks then add a fish wait a few weeks then add another. One of the biggest facts about reef keeping is one needs patients. The only thing that happens fast is crashes. Read the stickys in the "new to hobby" thread. The how to's are dead on. I followed them beacuse it had been years since i started my tank, i still learned a lot. I started my tank cycle on 3/21 i had patients, i added shrimp bacteria, and did nothing for 3 weeks but add top off water. Ammonia zero, nitrites zero still have not added fish. I have ordered a clean up crew that will add a constant ammonia source to keep building bacteria yet aid in any normal algae growth that goes with a new tank. By the way algae can also kill corals by sufacating them which is one of the reasons you should let the tank mature before adding corals. You can do what you want with the advice. If you don't want anymore just say so. By the way there are right many biologists, chemists etc.. On this forum that have been reef keeping for many many years.

SpartaReef
04/09/2013, 07:57 AM
And still the fact that I thanked you for the advice gets ignored... While you obviously are seeing only what you want to see, assuming I havent read up on the how-to and the why-for. The ocean is NOT stable, it is always in flux, the stable part is the abyss. Reefs are always changing. Its the changing that spurs the breeding seasons. I have taken advice. I am being patient. And I welcome advice. What I don't want is blanket statements of failure that tell me nothing....

Again, if you can't help me then shut-up. I don't want to hear your rant about how I'm not taking advice when I really am, AND YOU WEREN'T EVEN PART OF THE CONVERSATION.

SpartaReef
04/09/2013, 07:59 AM
If you really want to help me then help me ID this thing, sorry its not a very clear picture.

Anyone know what this is.... It's green, looks like algae but moves under its own power and has lots of red strings coming off it...http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51909
Right below the red dot

whiteshark
04/09/2013, 08:18 AM
I'm sorry you are taking this so badly. You made anyone who told you not to test nitrates due to the presence of nitrites (whom you called naysayers) part of the conversation. The intent was never to make you angry, imply that you haven't researched or that you aren't listening to advice. Just expect that if you act as if you know more than someone who has been at this for decades when this is your first tank, they might get either a bit defensive or pushy. It's not meant to sound condescending. Just meant to help. Some might call it tough love.

FWIW, the key water parameters of the worlds oceans rarely change even a tiny bit. The currents change, the moon phases and tides change, and these changes generally spur events like spawning. Not ammonia suddenly becoming present. You won't find a single reef in the world with measurable ammonia unless it's being polluted. Same with nitrite. Nitrate, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Phosphate, etc. will all remain very stable unless the water is being polluted. Even temperatures remain very stable. Generally much more so than we can replicate in a tank. IMO, replicating the extreme stability of a reef is the most difficult thing to do in this hobby.

Anyway, good luck. I'm sorry if I offended you some how. I hope your tank becomes a beautiful show piece some day. I'd also like to help ID the critter but the pic is just too blurry for me to make anything out. If you could try to get a more clear pic it would help a lot.

SpartaReef
04/09/2013, 09:49 AM
Whiteshark: Sorry I flared up. I don't remember you commenting previously. I've read numerous discussions about the complexity of reef chemistry which have shown both sides of the stability question... I agree that for the most part, the reefs in nature are stable in the long run, but they do have variations based on rainfall, river flow, seasons, and current fluctuations.

Kiss man, the coral has been in my tank for two days... Everyone I've talked to says it takes several days for coral to adjust to new tank.... It is opening up more each day, in fact last night it actually had green tentacles extending from it. And it was pulsing as it expanded and contracted. The clove polyps have opened up completely and are very vibrant since I moved them. Only the pulsating zinnia did not make it and it was half dead when it arrived. I've even considered that my tests are not accurate and I could even be reading them wrong... Maybe my tank has cycled and maybe not, maybe the numbers are zero with false positives or I'm reading it wrong.... Your more than welcome to come over and test it with your refractometer.

Over all I got irritated over the assumption that I wasn't listening, or did not know... And from what I read in your posts it sounded like what I was saying want get through to you. I just want peace, and help. Berating, or commenting without actual advice, or repeated advice that has already been given does not help. I even asked about Hicks hitchhikers surviving a cycle and only one of you responded to that (thank you).

SushiGirl
04/09/2013, 09:52 AM
Unsubscribed.

KeepNitReel
04/09/2013, 12:55 PM
I think people did not realize that your live rock had stuff on it that people don't usually get with LR only and therefore thought you where adding stuff. You indeed came across some great LR, lets hope most of it survive the cycle. I was wondering if you dosed the tank with prime every 48 hours would that help keep the hitchhikers alive thru the cycle? Anyone?

KeepNitReel
04/09/2013, 01:04 PM
Right below the red dot

Picture not clear enough to get a good look :(

SpartaReef
04/09/2013, 01:42 PM
I think people did not realize that your live rock had stuff on it that people don't usually get with LR only and therefore thought you where adding stuff. You indeed came across some great LR, lets hope most of it survive the cycle. I was wondering if you dosed the tank with prime every 48 hours would that help keep the hitchhikers alive thru the cycle? Anyone?

Thank you

whiteshark
04/09/2013, 01:50 PM
If you dose prime it will slow the cycle. The cycle is going to happen regardless so personally I'd just ride it out and hope some things survive. If anything big dies though I'd try to remove it before it contributes too much more to the ammonia concentration.

KeepNitReel
04/09/2013, 02:09 PM
If you dose prime it will slow the cycle. The cycle is going to happen regardless so personally I'd just ride it out and hope some things survive. If anything big dies though I'd try to remove it before it contributes too much more to the ammonia concentration.

Prime says that it binds the toxic part but does not interfere with the natural biological process & allows ammonia, nitrite to still be converted. What am I missing?

SpartaReef
04/09/2013, 02:58 PM
What is prime? I used safe start...

KeepNitReel
04/09/2013, 03:52 PM
What is prime? I used safe start...

Prime by seachem is a water conditioner. removes chlorine, chloramine, ammonia. Detoxifies nitrite & nitrate. Provides slime coat.

SpartaReef
04/09/2013, 04:21 PM
OK yeah I added slime coat also because of the corals and stars

SpartaReef
04/09/2013, 04:23 PM
Looking forward to getting home and looking in the tank

KeepNitReel
04/09/2013, 04:29 PM
Looking forward to getting home and looking in the tank

I can understand that & at least you have something to look at besides dead rock during your cycle. I watched dead rock in the DT for 5 weeks!!! The thing that keep me sane was the 4 fish & 2 snails in the QT :cool:

whiteshark
04/09/2013, 05:49 PM
I just kept tweaking plumbing and buying equipment to keep me occupied during the cycle lol. Also kept reading. Always stuff to be learned in this hobby. Fish in the qt helps too.

SpartaReef
04/09/2013, 08:40 PM
Cuc should arrive tomorrow (i hope) and most of it will go in qt after I test the water in qt.

MinnFish
04/09/2013, 08:59 PM
What are your parameters today? Any change in ammonia or nitrite? How many watts u have in the light fixture?

SpartaReef
04/09/2013, 09:18 PM
Didn't test today was out of the house all day and... Well the water cleared up again... It had gotten a little foggy... Was going to wait till Friday to test again unless cuc comes in. Gonna do salinity test tomorrow and top off. Pulsating zinnia is done for, but everything else is extra happy. Will take updated photos tomorrow too if the hammer really shows his color. As foot light it is a temp t12, two bulbs 65k. Watts I didn't look at. But 40 watt each. thanks for staying interested after my rant. I feel really bad about it. Got real irritated about all the conflicting info (from outside the forum). If params aren't conducive to me adding anything else I have a friend who will coral sit for me...

SpartaReef
04/10/2013, 08:58 AM
Picture not clear enough to get a good look :(

Yeah sorry, it looked like a snail, but instead of a hard shell it had a soft covering like slimy algae, or a big booger... Had red thin strings coming from it wiggling all over (about four to eight at a time) the body was 1/4 inch while the red lines were up to an inch or more long (hair thin or thinner). It moved on its own and traveled back and forth from a rock crevice to the sand bed, covering itself in sand particles... Now I can't find it but still see the red squigglies near where I last saw it.

SpartaReef
04/10/2013, 03:21 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51979http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51978http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51977http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51976http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51975
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51974

ecfort57
04/10/2013, 04:09 PM
Looking good

SpartaReef
04/10/2013, 04:49 PM
Thank you. Found another snail last night and another limpet this afternoon. Will have time tomorrow to test water.

SpartaReef
04/11/2013, 09:40 AM
Water tests today revealed: salinity @1.025 for both qt and dt, ammonia (qt) 2.0, (dt) 0.5, nitrite (qt) 1.0, (dt) 1.0, temp in both 79.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51988http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51987

KeepNitReel
04/11/2013, 10:25 AM
Cycle on the DT is moving along nicely. Glad that it's not stuck on 2ppm ammonia anymore

SpartaReef
04/11/2013, 10:51 AM
Me too, and even though its got the uglies (brown everywhere) its actually kinda nice.

sparky45
04/11/2013, 11:24 AM
Having the uglies isn't bad. Its a good thing. My big Rbta is splitting as I sit here. I'll keep this one for you when your tank is established enough.

KeepNitReel
04/11/2013, 11:35 AM
If diatoms are starting to appear then you are close or do you mean something else?

SpartaReef
04/11/2013, 11:49 AM
Yes diatoms... They've been there about a week but they got really bad over the last couple days.... Spotty before now everywhere... Really doesn't look that bad. Kinda nice to have some color variation. Justin, looking forward to it! Thanks so much for your help! My cuc arrives today...

whiteshark
04/11/2013, 11:50 AM
Diatom and algal blooms are a good sign that your cycle is nearing completion.

KeepNitReel
04/11/2013, 12:45 PM
Diatom and algal blooms are a good sign that your cycle is nearing completion.

+1

Kinda wish I still had diatoms, my kole tang loves that stuff!

SpartaReef
04/11/2013, 01:05 PM
I'm so excited

SpartaReef
04/11/2013, 01:07 PM
BTW flatworms seem to have vanished.... Found a bivalve trapped in one of the rocks.... Still alive... It kinda sticks out once in awhile, but no its not a barnacle, some sort of small clam.

MinnFish
04/11/2013, 05:45 PM
Getting there. Keep the CUC out of the tanks, until u finish cycling. Are u running a skimmer? Got any pictures of your sump?

SpartaReef
04/12/2013, 09:06 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51268http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51265http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51267http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51229http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=51228

This was before the tank was up and running, during setup.

SpartaReef
04/14/2013, 07:55 AM
Ugh, lost a few corals.... Moved too fast. Well I'm hoping that enough will make it that it will regrow. I had bought four new pieces since the chem was getting better and what I had was still alive... Found that line and accidentally crossed it. All the stuff prior to the last additions is still alive. I feel bad because people were helping me and reminding me to go slow, and I got stubborn. Lesson learned.

Sorry.

Good news though is that at the most I lost four corals that I added Friday, possibly only two, hopefully only one. Everything else is still alive. And for that I'm thankful. I will certainly put on the brakes at this point. And wait.

KeepNitReel
04/14/2013, 09:10 AM
Had no idea that you was adding stuff to a cycling tank! Was under the impression the stuff came attached to your live rock.
Picture your tank as a barbeque grill and the live rock as your charcoal. If you keep squirting lighter fluid on it the fire will burn the food. Wait for the charcoal to ash over then add meat! Speeding tickets can get expensive :eek:

SpartaReef
04/14/2013, 09:24 AM
You were right, I didn't add anything not on live rock till Thursday when my cuc arrived. They are doing fine. Friday, I got some corals and added them... Shouldn't have done Friday.... Before, live rock, Friday, not live rock.

SpartaReef
04/14/2013, 09:26 AM
I feel bad for the corals, but not much I can do now but wait and let the tank finish what its doing.

SpartaReef
04/14/2013, 09:41 AM
I was doing things right till last Friday, that's when I crossed the line.

SpartaReef
04/14/2013, 11:02 AM
There might still be a chance I haven't lost anything....

SpartaReef
04/14/2013, 12:04 PM
OK lost two, everything else is fine... Skimmer pump quit working on Thursday also so, could have been a factor, but I blame myself mostly.

KeepNitReel
04/14/2013, 01:01 PM
OK lost two, everything else is fine... Skimmer pump quit working on Thursday also so, could have been a factor, but I blame myself mostly.

I think the first two was lucky by dying almost immediately. Unfortunately the others are suffering a slow and painful death in that toxic soup that's brewing. In no way are they fine.

KeepNitReel
04/14/2013, 01:02 PM
What happened to the Skimmer pump? It just stopped working just like that. Wow

SpartaReef
04/14/2013, 01:05 PM
Skimmer pump won't turn on, ordered a new one. Just did ammonia test, 0.50ppm. I think the worst is over. I feel sick with myself for not being more careful. The two that died I did not acclimate like I did the others.

SpartaReef
04/14/2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks for staying with me and tolerating my foolishness

KeepNitReel
04/14/2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks for staying with me and tolerating my foolishness

13 years ago, I started this hobby with 4 fish in an uncycled 10g. Learned about the cycle & tank sizes for fish after the fact.

SpartaReef
04/14/2013, 02:07 PM
Seems, to me, that nobody starts this hobby without making mistakes, even while being lead by those who try to get you through without making them.

I feel like I've just joined some kind of brotherhood or something

MinnFish
04/14/2013, 03:36 PM
U just a kid brother that like to play in the street. LOL. We are patient enough not to tell mom. But, once u take a bumper to the hip. "Mom, we try to tell him."

SpartaReef
04/14/2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys

SpartaReef
04/15/2013, 04:16 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52128http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52129
Thumb, amphipod and brittlestar

SpartaReef
04/16/2013, 08:30 PM
Salinity at 1.0238, ammonia 0.30, nitrite 1.0, nitrate ~80

MinnFish
04/16/2013, 09:47 PM
Still cycling. Take care of that DSB (deep sand bed). They aren't designed to last forever, I found out the hard way. Still recovering from tank crash. Ran fine for 5 yrs and then suddenly all &$)( broke loose. Lost show piece size corals and long time livestock. I almost gave up on this hobby. But, it's part of my life since childhood. Keep checking your parameters. Good luck. What the temperature in DT. Salinity is creeping to low side, keep an eye on it.

SpartaReef
04/17/2013, 05:58 AM
Yeah I had read about sudden crashes occurring with DSB... Has anyone figured out the cause yet? I have lots of sand diggers and otherwise plan to rotate fresh sand into the tank somehow.

KeepNitReel
04/18/2013, 04:52 PM
Update?

SpartaReef
04/18/2013, 05:27 PM
I have had a feather duster in the tank for over a week, been very happy and feeding actively till a few days ago... Yesterday he disappears... His tube is still there, just no sign off him and I don't think he is even inside it...

SpartaReef
04/18/2013, 05:50 PM
Ammonia @ 0.25, nitrite @ 0.25, salinity 1.023

KeepNitReel
04/18/2013, 06:20 PM
:cool:

SpartaReef
04/18/2013, 06:21 PM
I have had a feather duster in the tank for over a week, been very happy and feeding actively till a few days ago... Yesterday he disappears... His tube is still there, just no sign off him and I don't think he is even inside it...

Any ideas?

SpartaReef
04/19/2013, 04:51 PM
Oh got my new skimmer pump and skimmer is up and running... Has been a few days now. Just moved return nozzle and powerheads to change current a little, everything perked up with the change.

SpartaReef
04/19/2013, 05:11 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52244http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52243http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52242http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52241http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52240http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52239http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52238http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52237http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52236

SpartaReef
04/21/2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52312http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52311http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52310

KeepNitReel
04/21/2013, 07:57 PM
Is it cycled yet?

SpartaReef
04/21/2013, 08:09 PM
Haven't tested it yet since last time. That little crab has been in there a couple weeks already. Happy as can be. Got two of them with my cuc... Gonna do a test tomorrow when I get my permanent lights installed.

SpartaReef
04/22/2013, 04:50 PM
Ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0!

New lights!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52332http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52331

KeepNitReel
04/22/2013, 05:05 PM
Tank looks super bright.

I think it's time for you to test for nitrate. I don't think that ammonia reading is correct. You had nitrite before and now you have none but your ammonia is still showing a small reading? I'm gonna say that that puppy is cycled if you have a good amount of nitrates and would say that ammonia reading is false

SpartaReef
04/22/2013, 05:34 PM
Last time I tested nitrate it was like over 50

SpartaReef
04/22/2013, 05:35 PM
I'll test for nitrate when I get back home... Stepped out for dinner with my son

sparky45
04/22/2013, 08:27 PM
How do you like the night light?

SpartaReef
04/22/2013, 09:00 PM
Much better with simulated moon light than complete darkness

SpartaReef
04/22/2013, 09:01 PM
Skipped nitrate test, going to do a water change tomorrow and recheck all parameters

SpartaReef
04/24/2013, 12:07 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52378http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52377http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52375http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52376http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52374

sparky45
04/24/2013, 06:30 PM
Your hammer looks way better. Its got color now

SpartaReef
04/24/2013, 06:39 PM
That's a frogspawn

KeepNitReel
04/24/2013, 06:44 PM
Congrats on getting thru your cycle :thumbup:

SpartaReef
04/24/2013, 06:44 PM
But yes it does look better and has some faint color to it (the hammer). Got my rodi set up. Running the first start up water now. This thing is fast. Does a gallon a minute it flush mode. Lol. That'll slow down with actual filtration.

SpartaReef
04/24/2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks

sparky45
04/24/2013, 07:50 PM
That explains it.

SpartaReef
04/24/2013, 09:21 PM
Got a total of four gallons of filtered water in an hour. Pretty nice system. Thanks for suggesting it Justin.

SpartaReef
04/26/2013, 03:46 PM
Got my system setup to auto top off... Filing up rodi reservoir. Then I can test the setup

SpartaReef
04/26/2013, 03:47 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52431

sparky45
04/26/2013, 05:06 PM
Looks good. What's your tds coming in to the unit? Mine is around 280tds coming in.

SpartaReef
04/26/2013, 05:23 PM
In is around 10 Lol... Out is of course zero. Got the auto top off working.

Windirmere
04/26/2013, 05:43 PM
I used interceptor to kill Acropora eating red bug's all pods dead, two months later pods are back some how. I belive their are little fairy pods that bring pods to your tank :S

SpartaReef
04/26/2013, 05:52 PM
? Have over 3000 pod s (that's how many I've added since inception) plus they are breeding like mice!

Will need to get something to eat them in a few weeks

SpartaReef
04/27/2013, 09:42 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52458http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52457http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52431http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52429

Auto top off and rodi setup... And fishes in qt...

SpartaReef
04/28/2013, 06:55 AM
Found one of my two green emerald crabs last night wedged itself in a rock and it is stuck... It appears dead already.

KeepNitReel
04/28/2013, 03:55 PM
Nice

sparky45
04/28/2013, 04:36 PM
That sux if its dead. I think you should try to sell your skimmer and get one that is an in tank.

SpartaReef
04/29/2013, 05:16 AM
I reduced the water in the sump and skimmer is working fine now... Just how you said it would... You should see everything now...

sparky45
04/29/2013, 06:38 PM
That's cool you got you're skimmer working.

SpartaReef
04/30/2013, 05:54 AM
Yeah, gotta clean glass again... The snails aren't keeping up.... And I was worried they'd starve!

sparky45
04/30/2013, 07:41 PM
I clean mine every 3 days.

SpartaReef
04/30/2013, 08:41 PM
Yeah, gonna start that too... Getting an order ready to submit in a few weeks or more... Want to join in?

SpartaReef
05/01/2013, 01:22 PM
Lost a cardinal on Monday... How do I get rid of bubbles in my return flow?

Michigan Mike
05/01/2013, 02:33 PM
I thought you said you were gonna slow down?

Your thread is just over a month old. Go slow & do a ton of research on everything.

Hope things get better.

SpartaReef
05/01/2013, 02:47 PM
The cardinal was in my qt. As for the baffle... I understand how that works and all... How would I install one after the fact though?

SpartaReef
05/01/2013, 02:57 PM
I'm so excited though to see that things are viably growing in the tank... Corals are getting bigger, sprouting new heads, and splitting off... Inverts are multiplying.... Finding sheds all over the place and really big pods!

sparky45
05/01/2013, 07:03 PM
The only way I know is to drain your sump and put one in

sparky45
05/01/2013, 07:38 PM
Put me down for a bag of pods

SpartaReef
05/01/2013, 08:34 PM
OK, its gonna be a couple of weeks though... Probably not till end of the month...

SpartaReef
05/01/2013, 08:35 PM
What size bag?

sparky45
05/01/2013, 08:41 PM
The end of the month would be good. The same size you got. Remember your gt tank was started the same time as you're dt.

SpartaReef
05/01/2013, 08:46 PM
Yes and both have cycled, and iced been monitoring parameters and doing water changes

SpartaReef
05/02/2013, 05:46 AM
What is up with feather dusters... Do they need special care? Mine keep crawling out of their shells and disappearing... This one is still in his case, but is extending way out.... Is there to much flow? To much light? I don't get it, they're supposed to be really hardy

SpartaReef
05/02/2013, 05:59 AM
For clarification...Need to know what can be done....* This is exactly what the last feather duster did before it disappeared.* I don't want to lose another one...* I don't understand why they did this?* SG is 1.022-1.023, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0.* Everything else in the tank is happy, growing and making babies...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7575&pictureid=52565

sparky45
05/02/2013, 08:58 AM
Raise your sg to 1.025.

SpartaReef
05/02/2013, 10:14 AM
Alright I'll start raising it back up... Lowering it helped the corals a lot... But if I raise the salinity slowly they should adjust

SushiGirl
05/02/2013, 05:39 PM
Large featherdusters that you buy at the store aren't hardy at all, and usually starve to death in a matter of months unless in a well-established tank with plenty of the correct sized food for them to filter feed.

SpartaReef
05/02/2013, 05:47 PM
OK good to know.... Got home and it had died... Will wait a month or two before I add anything else to tank

SpartaReef
05/02/2013, 06:35 PM
OK did parameter test:
Salinity 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0.0
Cal >520
Alk 8 dkh
Added the cardinal fish from qt to the dt. Seems happy. Clean the glass tomorrow and remove the dead feather duster... Snails are eating it right now... Tank looks good. Next task is to get baffels in sump to stop the micro bubbles... I'm thinking of piecing together a box to put around the return pump made of acrylic...