PDA

View Full Version : Attempting to begin a 55 gallon salt water aquarium

TheNoob
03/26/2013, 11:15 AM
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank carrying a 2 foot rescued Koi fish. Unfortunately, it seems as though she will not live for long. I am thinking about transforming the tank into a salt water aquarium, but I have not a clue of what I have to do. What kind of equipment do I need(heater, power head, hydrometer, lighting, etc.), is it necessary to setup a sump system(I prefer not to), how would I manage to maintain live sand and rock, how is it that I need to cycle the water, should I rinse the live sand and rock(with what kind of water), how would I clean the tank after everything is completed, are there any websites you would recommend that sell these materials(I am only willing to spend $200 on beginning equipment). I have researched a bit, but I'm still kind of confused of what all it is I need to do. Keep in mind I am a 16 year old with time on my hands. Thank you.

Cymonous
03/26/2013, 11:32 AM
I would start with reading the stickies at the top of the forum. Depending on what you want in your tank, $200 may not be enough to do SW. I would try looking on craigslist for used equipment instead of new. Don't use sand/gravel or the water from a FW setup. You don't have to have a sump, but it is a good idea to at least get a HOB Skimmer for your size tank.

dirkomatic
03/26/2013, 11:41 AM
Unfortunately, $200 might not get you there...

TheNoob
03/26/2013, 11:59 AM
Power heads, Lighting, Salt, and Testers are what I referred to as beginning equipment. I understand that other things like rock, sand, corals, and fish will have to be purchased but for now I am looking into just the main items. Pardon for the confusion.

dirkomatic
03/26/2013, 12:10 PM
Power heads, Lighting, Salt, and Testers are what I referred to as beginning equipment. I understand that other things like rock, sand, corals, and fish will have to be purchased but for now I am looking into just the main items. Pardon for the confusion.

What sort of filtration are you planning on using? Lighting and filtration (including pumps) are where the high equipment costs come from.

TheNoob
03/26/2013, 12:50 PM
Well in the 55 Gallon I have a Penguin Bio-Wheel 350 Filter. I have no idea if its good or not. And I wouldn't mind any suggestions for filtration ideas because I am clueless. I've heard of a sump system, but it seems too complicated so I am trying my best to stay away from it.

TheNoob
03/26/2013, 12:58 PM
Oh and I also have a Marineland Magnum 350 Convertible Canister Filter, If thats any good..

meisel1
03/26/2013, 01:00 PM
Noob...sumps do NOT have to be complicated...in fact having a sump will make your chances of success that much greater.Look online for diy sump projects . You can likely find a used tank somewhere for cheap or even free.The biowheel may not be a good idea but a decent canister filter will work for a fish with live rock tank..I could go on and on but you should really read the stickies at the forum start..best of luck :)

TheNoob
03/26/2013, 01:23 PM
See here's the thing.. I'm just a regular 16 year old engaging in a new hobby and attempting to have my apartment living room look outstanding. I have no experience with pluming; therefore, I'm trying to avoid creating a sump system. I have the potential to learn, but every source I have been reading does not completely inform me how to setup the aquarium. I've viewed videos on Youtube and read guides and even some stickys, but they're all bland descriptions of what equipment are useful. That's why I've come to a forum to perhaps get a detailed description of what it is I need to do. Btw, thanks for all the advice from those who have replied.

meisel1
03/26/2013, 01:42 PM
the marineland mag 350 is a good filter...that you can use..to start a FOWLR tank your going to need a heater(around 300w)arogonite sand...rock(dead or live)...a couple of decent powerheads..salt...your choice...I would suggest instant ocean to start(I use IO reef crystals)and RO or RODI water...try not to use tap water..you will have nothing but problems and likely get discouraged however if tap water is the only way..use prime conditioner..as for lights, with fish you can use anything, with coral t5s ,leds,mhs...unfortunately $200 isnt going to get you very far...srry
also ,without a sump and proper lighting your coral choices are very limited.Look on the net to find what you might like and go from there...Happy tanking :)read this ..Sk8r's Recommended Reads for Startup and Maintenance

Drew11
03/26/2013, 01:42 PM
If you do not plan on keeping coral then you obviously do not have to spend as much. But to get started with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) you can use the light that you used on your freshwater. A filter is not completely necessary but makes things a bit easier with a FOWLR tank. The Rock and sand bed work as the systems primary filtration unit. A skimmer would also make your life easy but is not completely necessary either. I ran my tank without one for a few months... you just need to keep up on your water changes. The API saltwater master test kit would work for you. A couple powerheads too.... search on here for good recommendations... you'll get 1,000 different answers though, it depends on how much flow you'd like, how your rock is set up, etc. I use Oceanic for my mixing salt. 180 gallons worth costs me like $50. There is so much more, if I were you I'd just keep reading and researching. Good luck!

meisel1
03/26/2013, 01:49 PM
+1 with Drew...if you go with api test kits get a syringe with ml marks and use 5ml..the lines on api tubes are all over the map and the directions call for 5ml so you will be more accurate

TheNoob
03/26/2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the help(: And yea I do plan on getting coral. I limited myself to only $200 because I believed that was more than enough, but I guess not. I'm confused when yall say a "couple" of power heads.. Can I not get one 700gph power head for my 55 gallon? Whats the difference between a sump and a refugium and a wet and dry sump? Should I consider a protein skimmer or is that part of the sump. What is an overflow? And also would yall have any advice on properly cleaning out my FW tank and filter? As for the rock and sand, can I just purchase the dried forms and revive them? And yes I do have time and patience. -Thanks again.

meisel1
03/26/2013, 02:41 PM
im running 2X500gph 3X450gph plus return pump....more even circulation rather than blasting...protien skimmer usally goes in sump and yes i would use one...overflow is where water goes from tank to sump...clean FW tank with water and vinegar and rinse well...dead rock and sand IMO is better tov start cuz theres no unwanted critters on or in it and it will come alive after addtions on coral frags ...zoos or whatever you put in after it has cycled(bacterial buildup takes time)read hoe to start cycle in new tank..please dont use a live fish..nothing good happens fast in this hobby..,cheers
click on my name,view public profile, look at album,tank is my third...6mths old now

Drew11
03/26/2013, 05:56 PM
Coral = use of RO/DI water also... more $$$ as you need to purchase a unit.

My advice would be to go slow and start with a FOWLR... if it's something you see yourself being able to keep up with mentally, emotionally, and financially... then go for the coral. Or at least start with some hardy stuff like mushrooms if you are dead set on the coral. The lighting you already have would probably be okay with those because they don't require much.

Megatrev62
03/26/2013, 06:23 PM
Seems suspect to me.

Phinnay
03/26/2013, 07:58 PM
Keep in mind, you need enough funds to take care of your animals if something bad happens... This means (possibly) expensive chemicals or additional equipment. You could do a Fish only tank for $200 but i'd be worried about having enough 'cushion' left over to do the right thing.

Start small and get to coral eventually - they aren't going anywhere.