PDA

View Full Version : So today really sucked.

ACBlinky
03/26/2013, 04:41 PM
My 4-year old has been home sick all week. I got home from work before noon happy that I'd get to spend some time with him. We were sitting on the couch watching Curious George while my husband went to his computer to do some work. Then...

15 minutes later, our 150g tank blew a seal and started GUSHING water out onto the carpet.

I yelled for my husband, we grabbed hoses and buckets, started draining the tank and wet-vaccing the carpet and both of us were absolutely freaking out. Our sweet little boy tried to help and offered advice -- mostly consisting of 'mama, it's dripping over here!' and 'mama, the carpet's really wet!' while I tried semi-successfully not to cry and swear.

Then I spent the entire afternoon on the phone with the local shop where I bought the tank and the aquarium manufacturer (Perfecto) arranging a replacement. Getting the warranty honoured on this nearly brand new ELEVEN MONTH OLD tank was like pulling teeth -- evidently there have been some people scamming the company, and they've 'cracked down' and have to make sure it's actually broken. *Sigh* Yeah, how about I send you the video of my beautiful corals drying out while the broken tank is spouting water all over, damaging my apartment and making my family miserable, will that cover it?

It's going to take two weeks for the replacement to get here. evidently it has to come on a regular shipping day and must go to the store where I bought the tank (store owner told me you used to be able to go to any store that sold their brand). This store is small (teach me to buy local) and only gets shipments every two weeks. I'm screwed, nothing anyone can or will do, the corals have to languish in bins while we wait two weeks for the truck to come.

Today. Really. Sucked.

Reeferz412
03/26/2013, 04:44 PM
If I lived near you I would house them for you. I'm very sorry to hear that. On to better things though. May your son get better too! Luckily no one was hurt!

The sculpin
03/26/2013, 04:47 PM
Omg! Please tell me this is not a common occurrence. I would be so bummed.

Cdodge1
03/26/2013, 05:22 PM
Hey there! I'm terribly sorry to hear that! Its a disaster! :( I'd check to see if you have any local forums for an area near you in Canada, I'm sure there would be some other aquarists willing to lend a hand in any way they can. So if there is, be sure to post your dilemma there and I'm sure someone will at least offer to house some of your livestock while the new tank arrives. Hope your son gets better as well!

aandfsoccr04
03/26/2013, 05:36 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. Maybe you can reach out to your local club and see if they will hold your corals for you. I would reconsider setting up another perfecto tank. YIKES!

biggles
03/26/2013, 05:42 PM
I can only imagine the mayhem that ensued let alone the stress levels, sorry this happened to you but glad no one was hurt. Considering the company is replacing their faulty product did they actually say why their silicon seam might have failed other than it was built last thing on a friday before a long weekend....... Hope to see things back on track for you real soon.

d2mini
03/26/2013, 05:43 PM
Sorry to hear! That sucks!
But good thing you were home at the time!!!!

KeithB
03/26/2013, 06:10 PM
That so sucks. :( Here's hoping for a quick recovery once you get everything back.

ACBlinky
03/27/2013, 05:47 AM
thank you all for the support, it really helps, especially hearing kind words from people who know EXACTLY how awful a situation it is when a big tank blows.

Perfecto didn't 'admit' anything, but when I described the situation, emphasized that nobody was within five feet of the tank at the time, and that water was gushing out between the bottom frame and glass, they didn't protest the warranty. There's nothing else it could be but a blown seal, and man, it didn't mess around and leak, it really blew.

It's funny, yesterday morning I was remarking to my husband that since we put the GFO reactor in place and restructured the rockwork, the corals were looking particularly happy. They were having one of those 'good hair days' where everything was fully extended, the tank looked fabulous. They're doing okay in their bins, I just hope I can keep them happy for two weeks and they don't die from the stress of being moved into the new tank.

Oh, and as for reconsidering another Perfecto tank, you can absolutely bet that thought crossed my mind. Unfortunately the tank was about $600, and the company will only replace with the same product. I tried getting my money back, so I could go buy something else at another store, they won't allow it. the guarantee says they'll replace 'like product with like product' and I specifically said, quite sarcastically, "I'd actually prefer it if you replaced it with a NON-broken one, thanks" because after HOURS on the phone my nice went away for a few minutes.

We're going to end up spending a bit unfortunately, because we're going to have to hire movers to remove the old tank, which has to be returned to the LFS (and from there to Perfecto), and bring in the new one. My dad volunteered to help bring the new one in, until I told him it weighs ~325lbs empty. Then he backed out pretty quick and started suggesting movers :)

I am trying to get my happy back, reminding myself that I now have two weeks to plan for an even better tank. I can buy some nice new sand, re-scape the tank, take the opportunity to clean all the pumps and equipment... and the new tank will be beautiful, without a scratch on it.

88rxna
03/27/2013, 06:09 AM
im so sorry. i could not imagine the feeling after all the hard work..

ACBlinky
03/27/2013, 06:57 AM
im so sorry. i could not imagine the feeling after all the hard work..
It feels like terror (holy CRAP what is going on!!??) followed by anger and disbelief (this is NOT happening, I JUST bought the thing), and once you get everything cleaned up and finish fighting with three people in two countries about getting a replacement it just feels like exhaustion, frustration, and sadness.

This morning it's better, but looking at the empty tank (which STINKS, thanks to all the little dead things in the sand) does make me sad. I'm actually still in a bit of a fog -- did that really happen? We went from healthy reef to destroyed tank in literally the space of a few minutes; that`s a bit hard to take in.

Tonight when I get home from work I'll be scooping out a dead sandbed and inspecting the seal; if I can get a picture, I'll post it for you guys to see. I'm going to ask my hubby to put the video of the water pouring out on our computer, so I can post that too -- it might help someone, or at least amuse them to see it.

mikecc67548
03/27/2013, 07:30 AM
Biggest tank I ever moved is my 125. I'm always very careful when I move it that A) it is completely empty and 2) I try not to twist it or torque it in any way. I think this applies to all sizes 10 gal and up.

I bought my 125 used from a guy who my parents were buying a piano from. 2nd floor apartment, narrow stairs. Freshwater setup. I got it, ran on fresh water for several years,in a few different residences. It eventually developed a leak and LFS tried to fix it. Couldnt. Traded in my 125 on a NIB same size 125 for what he was going to reseal mine for. It came home, sat by the window, moved to corner and sat every since.

But can you imagine what the poor poor aquarium company has to put up with the general retail public? WoW. I've worked with the retail public. It gets pretty weird. I'd like to hear some of them quality assurance recordings.

But....keep up the happy, heck ya! Maybe the movers will be a good thing for you. Maybe mention to them that it is an all glass tank with silicone seals and if they could try not to torque it any. Get the old one out inspect tank location for levelness and unevenness just to make sure. I sure would. There are soooo many things that can cause a tank to leak. It might be something that happened a year ago that just now manifests itself.

In outer space if your tank leaks it doesn't even get the floor wet. I'm just sayin'

Just some extra caution to help the new endeavor become a success after such a catastrophic failure.

Shellyfish
03/27/2013, 08:55 AM
I can only imagine the mess that made! I had a 35gal spring a leak on me. Woke up to my 3year asking why there was water dripping in the living room! Nothing compared to having a 150 go! I hope your new tank is even better than the old one!

(and by the way, I love your avatar!)

ACBlinky
03/27/2013, 09:05 AM
Aw, thanks Shellyfish! It reminds me every time I see it that I must, must, must quarantine.

We're lucky, the mess was relatively small; we soaked a patch of carpet about 3x4', but the wet-vac helped a lot and it's drying out nicely. The kitchen was soaked, but it's tile so that was easy to clean up. If we hadn't been home... I can't imagine. All that water would have poured through our floor and destroyed things in the apartment(s) below, and saltwater is just SO much worse than fresh.

Our apartment STINKS right now, but at least nothing's ruined. We did get very lucky, if you can say anything is lucky about a big tank bursting :S

I'm going to start calling movers, looking for people with experience moving delicate things (like pianos, antiques, etc.) I'd rather pay more for someone good, with good equipment/methods, than one of those 'two guys and a truck' outfits.

sanababit
03/27/2013, 09:33 AM
I have never seen a video of a tank burst ill be waiting on that one, and you are starting to feel better from what ive read, hang in there and look at it as a fresh start like you've said, good luck

Sana