PDA

View Full Version : This bubble algae? or cyano?

Saltwater_Biker
03/26/2013, 06:00 PM
I recently installed the aquaticlife 6x54w t5 and I noticed some bubbles releasing every so often within the tank and didnt notice them before with my regular lights. What is this?

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s536/saltwater_biker/IMG_1319_zps37078949.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s536/saltwater_biker/IMG_1311_zps11ed5935.jpg

Its like this throughout the sand bed and some live rocks.

Saltwater_Biker
03/26/2013, 06:02 PM
Before I had my new lights, the sand had stringy algae but now they look like they clumped up into balls and noticed today about the bubbles attached.

Sugar Magnolia
03/26/2013, 06:02 PM
Nitrogen gas trapped in cyano. Run some GFO and go lights out for 3 or four days. Also syphon off the cyano daily.

Saltwater_Biker
03/26/2013, 06:12 PM
Nitrogen gas trapped in cyano. Run some GFO and go lights out for 3 or four days. Also syphon off the cyano daily.

I have a 5 gallon refugium with a handful of chaeto with a 6500k homedepot light. Will this help? Should I feed less?

TimeConsumer
03/26/2013, 06:43 PM
I have a 5 gallon refugium with a handful of chaeto with a 6500k homedepot light. Will this help? Should I feed less?

Yes, the cyano is likely growing due to excess nutrients in the tank. The refugium will help export some of those. You may be overfeeding, a lot of people do. How long have you had this tank setup?

Saltwater_Biker
03/26/2013, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=TimeConsumer;21328357]Yes, the cyano is likely growing due to excess nutrients in the tank. The refugium will help export some of those. You may be overfeeding, a lot of people do. How long have you had this tank setup?

About 3 months, feeding them 3 times a day with selcon soaked mysis shrimp. About a dime sized portion each time and a 1/4 of a nori sheet for the Kole.
Should I go to 2 times a day? I will get a GFO reactor later on from BRS.

Refugium been up for about 1.5 weeks so far...I will take water tests today for nitrates and phophates but the cyano maybe give me a false low number.

TimeConsumer
03/26/2013, 09:17 PM
If your signature is accurate to your bioload, I'd say you are definitely overfeeding. Cut that down to once per day and see what happens. Two ocellaris clowns and a firefish do not need much food at all, they're small fish. And the kole should be fine with a small amount of nori (maybe 4 square inches) and the rest he can pick off the rocks.

Saltwater_Biker
03/26/2013, 10:59 PM
If your signature is accurate to your bioload, I'd say you are definitely overfeeding. Cut that down to once per day and see what happens. Two ocellaris clowns and a firefish do not need much food at all, they're small fish. And the kole should be fine with a small amount of nori (maybe 4 square inches) and the rest he can pick off the rocks.

Thanks, I will switch to once per day.

Saltwater_Biker
03/26/2013, 11:27 PM
Just check my readings

ph 8.3
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate between 5-10
phosphate between 0-0.25

all API kits
using BRS RODI and TDS output is 1 ppm from membrane and 0 after DI

just test RODI water...I got a small tint of green for phosphates and 0 nitrates.

So are my filters exhausted? doesnt make sense

Saltwater_Biker
03/26/2013, 11:51 PM
I just researched on the internet and read that you can't remove all of the phosphates from the water, just 95%-99% removed from the tap water.

TimeConsumer
03/26/2013, 11:57 PM
If you're reading 0 TDS then your filters are fine. Those readings you have from API test kits are basically useless. 0-0.25 is such a broad range it doesn't tell you anything. I'd get a Salifert, Elos, or Red Sea test kit. The Hannah checkers work well for phosphate too.

bnumair
03/27/2013, 12:01 AM
thats not true. between vodka dosing and running gfo i have finally reached a point where i have no phos in my setup, i use hanna checker ultra low range phosphorus and it reads 0. now it did take me a while to get there and mostly it read under 0.03 which is within the testing error range of the unit.