PDA

View Full Version : Will this stand support a 72g reef tank?

mr1979
03/26/2013, 08:57 PM
Hello --- First post here, and a brand newbie. :)

I'm hoping those with experience can help me answer this:

I've ultimately narrowed my tank decision to a 72g bow front. Before buying new from my LFS, I've been watching in my area for opportunity to buy used and save some $$$.

I found a seller with the exact tank I want in good condition at a great price, including the stand. However, the stand is where I'm getting caught up.

Instead of the predrilled-ready stand I would have expected, he used this stand:

http://www.petco.com/product/101404/Aquatic-Fundamentals-72-Gallon-Bowfront-Aquarium-Stand.aspx#description-tab

He drilled holes through the solid top for the drain/return lines.

I know this stand is technically designed for the 72g bow front, but am I right to be very skeptical here? Does not a reef 72g, with the added weight of live rock, sand, and more dense water (and not to forget the sump below + additional volume there) require a stand with better structure than this? Or am I over-thinking it?

Thanks for any insight! :wave:

thegrun
03/27/2013, 06:45 AM
It is hard to determine from the product description alone. On one hand it is built specifically for an aquarium so I would think it should be fine, but reading the customer comments would make me a little nervous. If the deal is good enough you could always go out and purchase another stand or build your own or even shore up this one with additional supports.

mr1979
03/27/2013, 07:53 AM
Yeah reading customer reviews makes me even more nervous. One reviewer even mentions the manufacturer states the stand is rated for 740 lbs. Seems 72g water + the tank alone already maxes that amount.

I've been considering, like you said, grabbing the deal just for the tank and ditching the stand. But without the stand it makes what could have been a "great" deal only a "pretty good" deal.

Decisions decisions....

thegrun
03/27/2013, 08:22 AM
Most reef tanks run at about 12 pounds per gallon so you would be looking at about 860 pounds in the DT. The sump will also add weight but since it is low in the cabinnet it should not be a concern.

fishgate
03/27/2013, 12:21 PM
I don't think you will have any problems at all with that stand. But those type of stands are very limited in the space they have underneath so it might be a little tight. Drilling the top like he did should not compromise the structure.

Sethjamto
03/27/2013, 04:15 PM
You can easily add additional bracing if it make you feel more comfortable. I did that just for a safety factor in my 90g stand with a few 2x4's. It didn't need it, but it made me feel better.