PDA

View Full Version : Spawn leads to death...maybe??

slojmn
03/26/2013, 09:11 PM
I noticed little balls the size of bee bees floating in my nanoreef last night, maybe 10-15 of them. Upon inspections I noticed three of my acan colonies looking very weird. I figured they had possibly spawned but they did not look so hot. I did a 11g water change for my 34g tank. Things looked okay this morning although those three acan colonies looked all shriveled and not happy still. When i came home this evening three montipora colonies look bleached and on their way to death. My Jedi monti, and two different monti caps. Its really weird, all zoas, acroporas, chalices, and favias as well as 5 other acan colonies all look normal. I am worried about losing the three acan colonies and the montis so I did another water change tonight, 12g this time and moved a few frags of the montis to my other tank in hopes of salvaging something. It seems so weird. Any thoughts??

Reefmedic79
03/26/2013, 09:24 PM
A spawning event would likely send your nitrogens through the roof if you didn't catch it quick enough. Did you test your water at all?

slojmn
03/26/2013, 09:42 PM
Well, I'm not sure i caught it quickly enough. When I came home from work a colony of about 30 zoas looked funny, spawn came to mind, but I didn't see annoying. Then a couple hours later I saw the bigger balls floating and the Acans looked funny so I just jumped up and did the water change. That Zoa colony may have spawned earlier in the afternoon before I got home from work, and who knows if more spawning happened today while I was at work. Water looks clear though. I didn't do any water testing, just the two water changes. I'll plan on doing another one tomorrow evening as well.

Reefmedic79
03/26/2013, 09:46 PM
Well, you did the right thing for the most part. It never hurts to do a water change. No other changes made to the tank or even around the house i.e. remodeling, painting a room, ect...

slojmn
03/26/2013, 09:57 PM
Nope, though I was out of town for a few days but all looked quite normal upon return this weekend.